CB77

Lol Go Honda

LOoks and sounds good Ole

How are you doing with your knee?
 
Thread starter
knee is getting a little better
there are days I still wish for the old knee

did you notice the rubber lever thingies on the Super Hawk?
 
Of course :D wouldn't be a proper CB without them
 
What a find. Great work Ole.
 
Thread starter
It was fun getting the old girl running. All it cost was about $450 in parts.
I have put 300 miles on it in the last two weeks. I am going to ask an oil question. Do I need my head examined?

I want to change the oil. I have straight 30 non detergent in it now. My riding buds say use a good motorcycle 10w30 or 10w40. Would this be OK?
The 1964 owners manual says SAE 30 non detergent. But detergent oil is better than it was in 1964. What should I do???
Not starting a war just want opinions,,,,,,,,
 
1960s air cooled engine technology was such that fit tolerances between pistons and cylinders were a bit loose and engines burned some oil by design. Burning a detergent oil left ashy deposits that accumulated in the cylinder and eventually resulted in hot spots (which could cause pre-ignition knocking).

The reason I know anything about this is because air cooled aircraft engines have the same issue (most having been designed in the same era). Aircraft engines still don't use detergent oils for that reason. They use oils with an ashless dispersant that suspends contaminants in the oil, but doesn't leave ash deposits when burned.

I'd probably stick with the non-detergent oil that you're currently using. While the detergent packages in oil have certainly improved over the years, modern oils are designed for engines that burn little to no oil.
 
Thread starter
Thank you for that advice. I will go against my buds and stick with what the owners manual says- SAE 30 non detergent
 
Thread starter
I need to run something past you guys again. On another forum, the experts said my valves were to loud. I have them adjusted to .004 which is what Honda wants. I made a new vid tell me what you guys think are they to loud?


This guy is a decent shade tree mechanic (wink wink). Over coffee the other day he said they were not to loud but maybe some cam chain noise? I took the cam chain tensioner apart and it looked good.

1d831ffd0708fe381aa2c0898e2035ca.jpg
 
lol Egan...what does he know. If it doesn't sound right to him he sells and buys another. Heck even if it does sound right he sells and buys another.

My favorite mc author, have all 3 of his books.
 
Thread starter
Pretty sure Mr. Pete was making vroom vroom noises here. I think he would of took her for a spin if he wasn't meeting somebody in New Glarus for lunch. He is the nicest most unassuming man one could ever meet.

bfdd5e7dcb8b76e7115aa71bf7ac52b1.jpg


Well, ol ferret is my cam chain making to much noise or what????
 
I can't tell honestly. It does sound clattery but echos and sound quality make it impossible to diagnose through a video. Heck on bikes even being in person, just moving high or low, left side or right side makes sounds sound wierd and different, and it's easy to hear a noise if you want to hear a noise.
 
Thread starter
I smoked my clutch yesterday. I was feeling youthful.
$150 I got a complete new revised super duper clutch kit coming from
Ed Moore over on 305.com

ain't life grand

Hey can anybody give me thoughts on a Honda Shadow ACE Tourer? 1100 cc
There is one for sale near me I might go test ride it. It is a 2000 model.
12000 miles. How can a 16 year old "touring" bike only have 12000 miles?

b514ce18efb4bd37c58251060a4b2bde.jpg
 
Ole, I had a 2006 750 Shadow which I sold to get the CB1100. Because I like the riding position and the handling of the CB so much better, I couldn't be happier. That said, I put a few Ks on the Shadow and enjoyed it a lot. It thundered along (the OEM pipes had been tampered with to make it louder) and was wonderfully reliable. Plenty of torque and easy to ride. The 1100 would be a bit more fun, I imagine.
 
Thread starter
I have not done the test ride yet. Still in research mode. No valve adjust on shadow tourers. They had hydraulic lifters did not know that
 
The Shadow from 1997 was my bike before I bought
the CB with a short intermission of a Guzzi California
in between. The 1100 Shadow is a cool bike, very much
build in a Harley style, up to the point, that Honda
imitated the way how the engine works, despite
from the fact, that it is fully watercooled.
The Shadow was reliable, but didn't fit my riding style.
It took me 30.000km to find that out.
Also riding a W800 all the time, I came to the
conclusion, that I really like the classical motorbike
and not so much any kind of a chopper. So I once
again switched. What I would like to have kept, is
the kardan and the hydraulic valve system.
But nevertheless the CB is much more powerful,
has much lesser fuel consumption and is the still
the bike besides the Kawa, that keeps me
feeling good while riding it.

Wisedrum
 
Thread starter
I was at an old time bike shop the other day and he had all kinds of old posters on the wall.

407baf82b15d94123429f5ba8cb443db.jpg


And a black and white picture of Elvis on a Super Hawk from the movie Roustabout.

062f08c9e9ea9603f5a5e49adb6663ea.jpg


And this morn I bought this 2000 Honda Shadow ACE Tourer. It has 27000 miles and my stupid new knee fits on it just fine.

38e9c6ed64302be976762400774877a4.jpg


The price was right and it runs like a charm. Needs new front tire rear tire is good.
 
Congrat on your new bike! I hope it serves you well.

What do you suppose that rack on Elvis' bike was used for? I've never seen one like that.
 
Back
Top