CB77

Ole_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Man, what a clean S 65. Should not have let that one go Ole.
ferret that S65 was 100% stock
even had the original tires
I did do "OK" when I sold it ($)
but I want an Elvis bike
I may need my head examined but I will not give up

4239da1659fc1c052850674d971d7dff.jpg
ferret that S65 was 100% stock
even had the original tires
I did do "OK" when I sold it ($)
but I want an Elvis bike
I may need my head examined but I will not give up
Elvis bike?

No, the CB77 was famous for being Robert Pirsig's ride in what became the basis for Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

According to one source, he still owns it. He can barely get around; he missed an honorary degree ceremony seven years ago; but it's believed he still owns his.
 
Elvis did ride in real life and im told his bikes are on display across the street from Graceland. Maybe he kept this one? Maybe not since I think he liked big Harleys. Anybody been there?
 
I have been to the Elvis car museum across the street from Graceland. Don't think there was a SuperHawk there, but there are some Harley's.

As an aside, we decided to drive to Memphis a couple of years ago. Never been there, did the mega Graceland tour and all the other stuff, like the cars and both airplanes. All of it was 70s cool, so to speak. Overall, it was fun, including Beal Street. Then again, we like staying at nice hotels (like the remodeled Peabody Hotel there) and hotel sex. Better stop now.
 
Thread starter
HE*L HATH FROZEN OVER!

My buddy, whose dad owns the CB77, just called me. "Dad has changed his mind. You better git over here before he changes it again".

Oh boy I need to find an ATM and get my trailer hooked up.
I am like a Christmas Eve youngster

wish me luck!
 
Thread starter
It is mine. The son and the old guy's wife talked him into parting with it. It is not 100% or even close to museum worthy but that's OK with me. I plan on getting into it big time starting next February when I retire.
The title says it is a 1965. It even has a rack like the bike Elvis rode in the movie.

c19d5355d977054315e2b0c26f24ac2a.jpg


b933e1eeb9b79cb63fc4ca3da329c9b8.jpg


a11be53e2aaa025c9cd98431ac7c121a.jpg


0b13e8be9af45915d3deff24cc25cae8.jpg


484bb9e37de56f01f48998fe9a4eced6.jpg


33913af454743da705d95f35c1444b34.jpg


68514c913e734f6772560da99c3bc090.jpg


found the toolkit and two rotten air filters under the seat

8173e45e8e2c633109687956876256c8.jpg


f4f4e36c37294f910ce4f4421aeb670d.jpg


I want to find some low handle bars, and original pipes but they are very pricey and perhaps a new seat cover
 
She's a beaut! We're making another Independence Day weekend outing to Spring Green this year. If the timing is right, maybe I could meet you en route to see this gem in the flesh. Glad you didn't have to kill the old guy. ;)
 
Well if it were 100% where would be fun and pride of accomplishment when the restoration by your hands is completed! What a great find and a worthy project.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Congrats! Now that will give you something to do with your retirement time...and money lol
 
That's a gem - aside from all the pitted chrome. A shame it only got a couple thousand miles on it - and then was left to rot.

The chrome on the speedo and other trim, those will probably be the worst to deal with. Otherwise...what you have is a rideable classic there.

Give it a good life. It makes me think of a late-middle-aged spinster, who discovers so late the joys of making whoopie...
 
Great find, Ole!

MTC, hope backing out of the contract wasn't too expensive.
 
Thread starter
furious_blue_imp said:
Wow ! The paper of the air filter is still one piece after all that time. What a beauty !
Those air filters look good until you touch them. Already ordered 2 new filters with new rubber boots from California. $100

researching carb kits on eBay they are not expensive at all
 
Ole, that is a really nice find. It will make a really nice rider once you go through the mechanicals and clean it up a bit. I've had perfectly restored classics before, but the 'rider' class machines are better to own if you plan on riding it. Worrying about every little imperfection on a perfect bike is kind of a fools errand if you ask me. Have fun with it!
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Great find, Ole!

MTC, hope backing out of the contract wasn't too expensive.
Oh shoot!! Totally forgot to call. Umm...well this could turn out awkwardly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Snowing like crazy here in Wisconsin today. I got bored and headed to the basement. The old girl looks a little different.

6f284c23d0a70fbc3bf5bfadb3459a94.jpg


That rust pile came out of the mufflers

c357c1cff778b6385e74ae2fc2dd0d44.jpg


I need to get my Fluke out and check some continuity in some wires this looks like the only bad spot

7331a2034cdf0953d28970558a54a874.jpg


Taking the gas tank to work to clean out some fine rust and a tiny amount of shellac. I will start with simple green then vinegar if that don't cut it some paint thinner will
all diluted with some hot water

da6a47d76aa10e0dbc053344b9492c9a.jpg
 
Back
Top