CB77

Ole

Been there
Thread starter
Looked at a 1963 Honda CB77 today. Had a long talk with the owners son. It may be for sale soon. Last ran 10 years ago. Been stored in a climate controlled facilty. No gas in tank but very little rust. Everything is stock but the pipes. Red is the color and it has 4208 miles with a Wisconsin title. The son told me last time his dad had it running it had very good compression. It has some fine surface rust on most chromed surfaces. Original tires!

If I offered the old guy $2000, would he laugh at me? I will keep you posted if it follows me home.
 
Maybe we'd both be wrong, but I would have offered just what you did. I think $2000 is no insult to him unless he has deluded himself into thinking its a museum piece. After all, it hasn't been run in 10 years.
It might be a good deal for you at that price, or you may be in for an expense and a half.
 
That would be a reasonable deal, of course many factors. The single largest are the pipes, new ones are really expensive. Next the tires and cables. Since sitting for a long tine, the carbs are suspect.

I just love those bikes, have a number of them. I owned them in the 60's, after seeing the movie Roustabout, with Elvis.
 
Thread starter
Well, a sad update. I talked to the old man tonight on the phone. The owner of the red 1963 CB77 with 4208 miles. Not good.
"The Elvis bike is not for sale. I do not know what you and my son had cooked up, but that bike will not leave my possession as long as I am breathing".

I guess the old guy slammed the door pretty good eh?
I will keep looking. I am on the hunt!
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
Or we could kill him.
Since you are Chicago, I will let you handle this. The old guy lives in Antioch and has been a Blackhawks season ticket holder for many years.

edit

of course I am joking
 
I understand him, and sadly no one has found a way to cheat the devil his due. Just wait or at least keep in touch with son.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
My hunt continues. A guy I know here in my hometown let me look at an old an old Honda in his basement tonight. He found the title and claims it is a 200cc. Last ran in 1977 no gas or rust in tank. Everything that was on the bike when new is still there but it is a little rough looking. 14000 miles, black, with whitewall tires. Seems to have good compression as I kicked it over. Motor not froze at all. Chain is exposed not in an oil bath. Sprockets rusty but OK.

A number I found stamped on the engine says CA95E-400xxx. After a little internet research, I think it is a 1964 Honda CA95 Benly Touring. 153cc. I am pretty sure this old guy wants to sell it but we did not talk price. Do any of you guys know what Benlys are going for? It is going to need some work, the carbs had varnish on the outside, he left the battery in it and it has crapped all over the right side cover. And the seat is cracked and foam is rotten in some places rock hard in other. The petcock is stock and opens easily. Tires are flat and dry rotted.
I would have took a pic but my only light was a flashlight stuck in my mouth so I could use my hands.:idea:
I found this pic on mr google
this is the bike I am looking at 100% sure but this one in better shape

0f09db1c348297d2b1aabc6297043f80.jpg
 
Ole, the 150cc Benlys don't bring nearly what the 250 or 305 models do; even on ebay, pretty nice ones struggle to reach $1500. From the way you describe the bike, I'd say it's worth $750 tops. I'd offer the guy $500 and see what happens. It's not on ebay so he shouldn't expect to get ebay results. :thumbsup:
 
Elipten_imp said:
I understand him, and sadly no one has found a way to cheat the devil his due. Just wait or at least keep in touch with son.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't understand that a BIT.

Four thousand miles of use? In sealed storage ten years? WHAT pleasure is he getting out of it? He rode it so little; and so long ago...what could it mean to him?

Stuff like that...is just a burden. Sure, it would be fun to ride - IF he is able. In his 80s, he's not likely to be able to start or ride it. And it wouldn't be like he's reliving old times.

I know what a hoarder is, of course; and it's the prerogative of old age to be stubborn. But there comes a time to set aside everything: Baby rattles; kid's toys; the baubles of youth.

I had a set of skis in with some stored-away stuff...high-quality skis. Expensive at the time. And I had a great time with them, too-few years and too long ago.

I won't use them anymore. I'm too old and now the snow is too cold. And part of what skiing was about, the mating-dance of the young...is long behind me.

They're up for sale; for pennies. Get them gone.

Eventually I'll be the same way about my bikes. Frankly, it may be sooner than I want; while showing my BMW R1100RT to a buyer, I managed to...not put the side-stand down all the way, lean it over to put on the not-down stand, and DROP the thing.

No big thang; just a few scuffs. Engine off; and the buyer wasn't put off. He helped me out from under it; and did buy it.

But it's a foreshadowing of what's to come. And WHEN that time comes, I'd rather my toys go on to more life, to bring more joy...than to rot in a dead-air storage warehouse, slowly decomposing.
 
The CA 95 was an interesting bird. Not very popular ( my brother had one) the CB 160 was much more popular ( I had one of those) Pressed steel frame, square earls type front end, square rear shocks. This was in Hondas days of experimenting with mass production.

Ask the owner if he has a number in mind, if he says no, tell him you don't want to offend him, but it is going to take a lot of work and money to get it up to snuff and you don't want to have more in it than it will ultimately be worth. I would start at $250 and go from there.If he says no, then he must have a figure in mind. Try and pry it out of him and see if you are willing to go that high.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for all the advice guys. I am really torn here. I know I can get the Benly cheap, but in my heart of hearts, I want a Superhawk. Why I don't know. For two summers my work commuter bike was an old Honda S65. You guys must remember them? A guy on the Kawasaki Versys forum bugged me for months and months to sell it to him. I was weak and I let it go. It was a cool little 45mph bike and I do miss it:

aa900209e620d9a2d4edae9f8f18acb0.jpg


8a8719153cbc9a696b74d6ebc07f2dff.jpg


5c527c4630829ecf31642fe2c113fa13.jpg


It only had 2000 miles on it when I bought it. Spark plug, battery, carb clean and that lil sucker fired right up. I think I am going to pester the old man and the the son who have the Superhawk with 4000 miles. I don't think the Benly will work for me. I must break them down!
 
Man, what a clean S 65. Should not have let that one go Ole.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Man, what a clean S 65. Should not have let that one go Ole.
ferret that S65 was 100% stock
even had the original tires
I did do "OK" when I sold it ($)
but I want an Elvis bike
I may need my head examined but I will not give up

4239da1659fc1c052850674d971d7dff.jpg
 
Sounds like you'd better hold out for a Superhawk -- even if you get the little Benly, you'll still have a Superhawk in the back of your mind. A little patience -- and maybe a lot of Craigslist searching -- will pay off eventually.
 
Ole. What a great photo. It is from the 1964 movie " Roustabout" That was toward the first of the movie. Soon thereafter, a jeep with a pretty girl, driven by her father, ran Elvis and the CB77 off the road and thru a fence. Bad damage to the SuperHawk and they left it in a field. (Have it on my DVR)

Note the CL 77 style handlebars not standard on the CB77. Also there was a piece of black tape on the badge on the tank. (No placement fees back in those days)

Also in the jeep was Barbara Stanwyck, the owner of the Carnival, who hired Elvis as a roustabout. The bike was returned to Elvis all repaired and rode it more in the movie. Because of that movie, I had a red CB77 "SuperHawk"' riding it in high school until 1969, when I got a 1970 Boss 429 Mustang as my daily driver. (That car sells for $200k+ today) I sold the mustang regrettably, but never forgot about the Honda. Today I have a perfect red one in my garage. Also have a blue one (with a blue seat) being restored. Love those bikes.
 
Lord that S65 looks brand new! There cannot be many of those around outside a museum. Next time you feel like selling a bike like that, you call me!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top