CB350 Resto-Mod Cafe'

Thread starter
Thanks for the kind words.

Chip & others; you're more than welcome to stop by. I'm in Lawton, Michigan. It's about a 2 1/2 - 3hr trip from Detroit. Please PM me for details and discuss.

---------------------
Made some progress yesterday. Friend came over with his Deutsch connector assortment. Thought I had some pics, but my SD card must be going south. Only photo I got off of it was the crimping tool.

Deutsch connectors are used in the modern automotive world. Very well engineered, and can cost a bit of change if you go with the gold plated pins. As you might suspect; it has a male/female fitment. Where they differ is how much contact surface they have. The connectors are water tight with silicone "seals" (very cool!)

Here's a manufacturers pic of a typical pin. The wire is inserted on the left end & crimped. No solder is needed, but the hole is for that added insurance.

8689a9f64b06f3c2574125b68dce0717.jpg


The crimping tool is unique. Makes multiple crimps at one time. You first set the wire gauge, then the depth. Was impressed by how easy it was to use.
0d17232c5ae06d7e0f2a9a3ac31d3fb2.jpg


I'll get some photos of the connector later this week.

Cleaned up the rear wheel, pressed in new bearings, rebuilt the caliper & installed the exhaust.
240664cb08d7ed1bce17c14f49bb887a.jpg


Thanks for your interest.
 
Thread starter
Elipten_imp said:
I do not remember my CB350 having that swing arm or mono shock.
Your memory serves you well. About the only thing left of the original bike is half the frame & the engine. Click on the 1st page to see the original bike.

------------------
Heres a pic of the extended clutch pushrod before welding.
51c67b9e366507bd0d25c48ad22cfbb2.jpg


Made a tool to clamp on the pushrod so I could check the freeplay once the cover & slave was mounted.
d00fb78ddc51761812fd4a3c80d5b3f7.jpg


Got these cool vintage covers :) (points & tach covers).
8d049f83034b23a57e337b462b0daa37.jpg


Points cover installed. Slave cylinder/sprocket cover on also. I'll bleed it tomorrow and check the throw.
4798a90f06fcd7f83df0697764fd1649.jpg


Decided to forego the kick starter for now. Hits the brake pedal, so will need some thought & fab work.
Friend was over and thought it would look better with a cover over the splined shaft.
Not 100% sure I'll keep it or maybe do something different (6mm set screw on the bottom holds it in place).
d148fe578f5e5efc5f61cd6f6e0e28f5.jpg
 
I come to this thread, look at pix, read descriptions of the work and want to say something but have to spend too much time picking up my jaw from the ground! :s

WHAT KIND OF SORCERY IS THIS, RAY?!?!

Twas great to meet you at Bland. :beerchug:
 
I will enjoy this thread so much more now that I know you and your history. I feel much more connected. It was great riding and socializing with you. And thanks again for the help with the bike.
 
Thread starter
Thanks. Appreciate the kind words. It was good meeting you.

Haven't done a lot of work on the 350, but I was having too much fun on the lathe, so I made a second cover for the kick starter shaft. It's a little narrower and thought some ribs might be cool.

0241399e0c684dab81ccfe30a981e83d.jpg


June is jam packed with shows & family stuff. Hope to have more updates in July.
 
Thread starter
Sorry for the long delay (took the summer off from projects).

Not much to update, but thought I'd pass along some more details.

Before ordering the custom throttle cable from Motion Pro; had to clean & rebuild the carburetors. Soda blasted followed by a good cleaning in the ultrasonic cleaner. Also polished the bowls.
18806843e5cac501f4592b9c50ded2e7.jpg


bfe016084139dda94d62e474b5a578b4.jpg


Bought some pod filters that needed to be shortened.
The section in the right is what I cut off. The springs were cut down also, then reinserted after the glue dried.
3382bcb4e461da763beb8d5fb14c52aa.jpg


6bfd988e5b389de45b123ca5ab9491df.jpg


a00488197b222978d73aef1a3c08dd4b.jpg


For those with a sharp eye... you might have noticed the drive chain tensioner in the last photo.

Here's some details.
Had a used tensioner. Can't remember what bike it was from. Needed to be cleaned & refurbished. Also had to fab a new bracket to hold it onto the swingarm.

71e050fc41f8c07a0c32390ca683d936.jpg


Made a new rubbing block out of Delrin (wider than original)
122e398a58acb5f8b0962e25b24cfffe.jpg


5f3cb101032bd6765e39cc06bb539223.jpg


ce3b1db4dd579b3b0c7d3c689dca9334.jpg


Without
57d842c9d8dda0f98741c4adc6281cd0.jpg


With, chain rides on rubber swingarm guide.
8e8f05d75561fe47310448459a40bad5.jpg
 
Just came across this thread, WOW is all I can say. I love doing one off fab work but your stuff is off the chart. :excited:
 
Hey Ray was just thinking about you the other day. Figured you'd pop back in sooner or later. Have your room for Arkansas yet?

Cool stuff BTW ...as usual.
 
Thread starter
Thanks Mickey, and yes; I made my reservations a while back. Looking forward to meeting up & riding with everyone.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Hey Ray was just thinking about you the other day. Figured you'd pop back in sooner or later. Have your room for Arkansas yet?

Cool stuff BTW ...as usual.
What's the deal with this Arkansas thing? Where and when? Inquiring minds need to know. :beerchug:
 
Razor, now there's a handle that describes you well ... the 'sharp edge' of customising bikes! I'm gobsmacked by your skill in the workshop. Love what you're doing and many thanks for taking the time to tell us about the build. Looking forward to the next update.
 
Thread starter
Aussieflyer_imp said:
Razor, now there's a handle that describes you well ... the 'sharp edge' of customising bikes! I'm gobsmacked by your skill in the workshop. Love what you're doing and many thanks for taking the time to tell us about the build. Looking forward to the next update.
Thanks, got the nickname years ago from a friend. We rode bikes everywhere.
 
Outstanding. Impressive. And a host of other superlatives to express how remarkable your work/play is. And here I get so much satisfaction and pride from changing my oil and adjusting my chain.
 
Sorry to revive an oldie but I just dug this up looking for the tail light wiring.

To quote George Costanza " I say this with a staunch record of unblemished heterosexuality, FABULOUS!"
 
Incredible craftsmanship Razor , how is it going ? would love to see a youtube of it on the road ........ on a lighter note =
 
Back
Top