CB350 Resto-Mod Cafe'

Have you ever considered moving from snowy Michigan to beautiful Asheville ?
This has nothing to do with me loving to have you live close to me .....
 
Wow. Nice stuff.

This is going to be one of the more unique CB350s running around !

furious_blue_imp said:
wow, I will be following this project with great interest !

I wonder.. without more bracing, will the frame be able to take the pounding from the new front and rear ?
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
Have you ever considered moving from snowy Michigan to beautiful Asheville ?
This has nothing to do with me loving to have you live close to me .....
Yes, but 5 grand kids will have me in Michigan for a while. Thanks for the thought :D
 
Razor_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Have you ever considered moving from snowy Michigan to beautiful Asheville ?
This has nothing to do with me loving to have you live close to me .....
Yes, but 5 grand kids will have me in Michigan for a while. Thanks for the thought :D
Yes, but 5 grand kids will have me in Michigan for a while. Thanks for the thought :D
One of my best friends lives in northern Wisconsin. Every winter he calls me and cusses his ancestors for moving to that part of the country. Now his kids and grand kids have him anchored there. He hopes he dies in the summer (not this summer) because he is afraid the ground will be too frozen to dig a proper grave if he goes in the winter lol
 
Thread starter
Haven't done a whole lot, but thought I'd post some updates.


exhaust pics

47f4e4871c8b98db1a32fb38e56e7439.jpg


Will have just enough clearance to remove the drain plug
bb7776c39d0bef912271b127878ab2a9.jpg


Haven't decided the style of tips, but here's some options. Let me know which one youd choose or maybe you've got something else in mind.
80042a3a132a2b5c84864aedfc8d0f86.jpg


1430c74ea8edc93d2f52cbaed3c2218b.jpg


681e95b03dc63a42ed3bf91a1083895c.jpg


Still need to fab a rear mount, and a sleeve for the #1 pipe.
More pics

8aac713c1d4fe3b1433918165d886fb6.jpg


de85fcc11c44dad20faa349d84e15114.jpg


1fb3073a0c59829324bf8e1d9470d0f8.jpg


bcd15a29b679c3354d6b89ad2cbf1416.jpg


797f1a7224b5e82f2ed1d26aab77901d.jpg


0cb409b6aae4c955bd0980a10e17bd86.jpg


Cut the swingarm bolt (was about an inch too long)

4c492c140f237273682dd98556467d8e.jpg


Machined a small spacer so the right mirror would clear the controls. I'll paint it to match.

fecc6e27bb18787dfa7c2b3e8fe95684.jpg

Really want to go with a hydraulic clutch. Challenge is mounting the slave and somehow having a way to have clearance between the slave piston and push rod.

Machined a piece that will get welded onto the side cover.
9b9c51fd554f04889557e2d29ea89dcd.jpg


The slave cylinder will mount to it.
f85f91d659f0dcfdeebdaaf85077d4e9.jpg
 
Sheesh! And I was content when I learned how to do a basic service and valve adjustment on my bike...this is serious craft and skill! :thumbsup:

I can't wait to see the finished product.
 
Great bike and nice work! I just saw one out on the road earlier today in LA.

I'm in the middle of a resto on my '75 400F Super Sport.
I'm getting ready to sandblast and powder coat the frame.

Quick question; did you paint the engine or just give it a good cleaning?


I gotta say that I'm more than a little jealous of that garage of yours......
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the kind words & interest.


LARIDER_imp said:
Great bike and nice work! I just saw one out on the road earlier today in LA.

I'm in the middle of a resto on my '75 400F Super Sport.
I'm getting ready to sandblast and powder coat the frame.

Quick question; did you paint the engine or just give it a good cleaning?


I gotta say that I'm more than a little jealous of that garage of yours......
Good luck on your 400F restoration. Those bikes have been highly sought after and keep increasing in value.

The engine is bare metal. Will paint it later, just haven't decided the paint scheme.
Not 100% sure, but it's likely your 400F was painted Honda Silver Cloud. Duplicolor silver caliper paint w/ceramic is a perfect match.

The garage is a pole barn, built in 1992. Ran a part-time repair shop for several years and later morphed into what my friends call the "man cave". I remember working on plywood for a month until I saved enough money for the floor.
 
Glad you're still at it, Razor. You're a patient man.
 
Razor_imp said:
Thanks for the kind words & interest.


LARIDER_imp said:
Great bike and nice work! I just saw one out on the road earlier today in LA.

I'm in the middle of a resto on my '75 400F Super Sport.
I'm getting ready to sandblast and powder coat the frame.

Quick question; did you paint the engine or just give it a good cleaning?


I gotta say that I'm more than a little jealous of that garage of yours......
Good luck on your 400F restoration. Those bikes have been highly sought after and keep increasing in value.

The engine is bare metal. Will paint it later, just haven't decided the paint scheme.
Not 100% sure, but it's likely your 400F was painted Honda Silver Cloud. Duplicolor silver caliper paint w/ceramic is a perfect match.

The garage is a pole barn, built in 1992. Ran a part-time repair shop for several years and later morphed into what my friends call the "man cave". I remember working on plywood for a month until I saved enough money for the floor.
Good luck on your 400F restoration. Those bikes have been highly sought after and keep increasing in value.

The engine is bare metal. Will paint it later, just haven't decided the paint scheme.
Not 100% sure, but it's likely your 400F was painted Honda Silver Cloud. Duplicolor silver caliper paint w/ceramic is a perfect match.

The garage is a pole barn, built in 1992. Ran a part-time repair shop for several years and later morphed into what my friends call the "man cave". I remember working on plywood for a month until I saved enough money for the floor.
Thanks.

I've been thinking about painting, but I'm probably going to opt for vapor blasting.
It can actually make really old parts look factory new.

Got to about 1:20 in the video to see the transformation.
Vapor blasting
 
Thread starter
Vapor blasting does a great job. If you're going for a factory restoration; I believe the engine, except the cylinders were painted. This being said; its your machine; make it your own. Good luck.
Cormanus_imp said:
Glad you're still at it, Razor. You're a patient man.
Thanks

Patience? more like procrastination :blush:
 
Thread starter
Last of the exhaust pics (I promise).
Needs final welding & not sure if i'll paint it or send it out for ceramic coating?

8164008c9775b6160aeba7f99f634807.jpg


d24eec14f2056ad8b9748d168833dce4.jpg


67d3bd5d48e295ec5b0dd84c487a3747.jpg


ee1815e4783c5288a64a4a19a1e90b87.jpg


e8721a0e5830bf50db95b0595064aeb6.jpg
 
Thread starter
Getting closer to mounting the slave cylinder.

Sprocket cover puzzle
ebf567c9b56c8f57716832f4e7228dbb.jpg


Back from TIG welding
81542f771b1e02097ddd4fc323a56a75.jpg


Had to make modifications to clear the stator cover., and fly cut the slave cylinder mounting ring. Still need to drill & tap for the slave cylinder.
52e1d4dd780ea20548a2759c3d30b894.jpg


56d91b800e6967098b88f2a405e8b5f1.jpg
 
Great work, Razor.
 
Thread starter
Thanks!


Put a seal in the slave, bled it, and checked the throw. Need to buy a lottery ticket! Throw is really close to stock. I'll fab up the push rod once the engine is together and I can take some measurements.

Some more details on the slave (sorry, didn't take any pictures).
Normally there's a connecal spring behind the piston (fluid side) which exerts outward, pushing the piston out of the bore. This wasn't going to work since I needed a bit of clearance between the pushrod and the clutch lifter. Ended up machining a hole in the piston so the stock CB350 ball would fit. Also installed the connecal spring on the outward side, so it pushes piston back in the bore.

Started in on the engine. Progress will be slow. Recleaned the cases, cylinder & head.

Some pics
8da77a03faf79a0a82d1e056b6d209b6.jpg


After lapping the valves and assembly. I like to "leak check" with alcohol for about an hour.
795c29cdc94c140db03402b9f666c09b.jpg


I check it about every 10-15 minutes.
Not the best pic, but no leak through :D

39cb0cb5cb93018d41ea6bd6fc92e4a1.jpg


Weather forecast is looking good. Warm, but windy. Might take a stab at painting the engine.
 
cool stuff Ray. You are not just a restorer, you are a manufacturer!

The guy that invented the ICE was a smart cookie to figure all this out from scratch.
 
Back
Top