CB1100 won't be good seller in shrinking bike market

cbdtran_imp

Been there
Thread starter
that is said - in this diminished market, this bike won't be a good seller in near future. Honda injects many new models to revive its bike image. It is somewhat coincident - the winter time, a slow market for all motorcycle. The CB11 is for middle age people

Honda told my dealers they sent three CB1100s to see if the dealer can sell it, the dealer told me: it's a joke we sold hundreds of bikes a month, that was in last August. At this time they are struggling ... it is not easy to see or hear. It is hard to see them suffered, but everyone does

------

Yesterday, a lot people showed up for Thanksgiving super Friday sale, few actual buyers
 
The best sold bike in Germany (and elsewhere in Europe) is the BMW R 1200 GS ("Gummikuh"). The base bike (with no additional features) costs roughly 14500 EUR (19500 USD), but none of the bikes go out of the dealer's door like this. Most of the bikes are equipped with additional features and end up at a price of 16-17000 EUR (21500-23000 USD).

Again ... above 20000 USD and best sold bike!

Why?
Because it is for the middle age people ... and they have money.
 
Agreed the market for this bike middle age people that can afford such a bike . I laughed when the dealer tried to sell me an extended warranty and told him that in the unlikely event of a major repair, a large bill won't jam me up like some kid who financed his primary means of transportation. Not that I'm rich, but If I have $11k to buy a big toy, I have the means to pay for repairs as we'll.

That said, I was still worried sales wouldn't be strong enough to justify another model year, so I got mine while the getting was good. My dealer had 1 CB1100 on the floor and 4 in crates. I got the only ABS model and they wouldn't be getting g another one of those until Jan.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Sure, I agree that neither the CB 1100 2013 was nor the (potential) CB 1100 EX 2014 will be a kind of "million seller". :) I heard that only a contingent of 600 bikes were shipped to Germany, and some dealers still have some left in their showroom. The best sold Honda in Germany in 2013 was up to end of November the NC700S with a bit more than 2500 bikes sold. Another 2000 NC700X were sold so far in 2013. I saw a "Top 50" ranking where the #50 was a bike which was sold (from jan-Nov) roughly 450 times. And the CB 1100 was not part of the "Top 50" list. So Honda sold less than 450 items. :(

Well in other words: We all own a very exclusive piece of motorcycle. :D
 
I bought this bike because it appealed to my particular taste in motorcycles rather than any notion of it becoming a huge seller and I had to have one to join the crowd. I guess we are a small segment of the motorcycling community who appreciate this classic look and feel; having a somewhat rare bike is somewhat appealing. However, I'm glad there were/are a few years of production to ensure a measure of spares and support for this model.
 
ingobohn_imp said:
The best sold bike in Germany (and elsewhere in Europe) is the BMW R 1200 GS ("Gummikuh"). The base bike (with no additional features) costs roughly 14500 EUR (19500 USD), but none of the bikes go out of the dealer's door like this. Most of the bikes are equipped with additional features and end up at a price of 16-17000 EUR (21500-23000 USD).

Again ... above 20000 USD and best sold bike!

Why?
Because it is for the middle age people ... and they have money.
BMW's are not what their cracked up to be.Yes,The Germans
are the mechanics and the French the cooks.The Italians are
the lovers.
Go to master BMW mechanic Chris Harris at YouTube.
Type in - Chris Harris motorcycle -.
Hear him cuss out BMW for a lot of stuff.
BMW also charges way to much.
Take the 10 year or older BMW Montana priced at $ 15,990.
With a 1200 c engine { 1170 cc } and compare to a
Harley T-sport at $ 14,720.With a TC 88 engine { 1450 cc}
 
Thread starter
ingobohn_imp said:
Sure, I agree that neither the CB 1100 2013 was nor the (potential) CB 1100 EX 2014 will be a kind of "million seller". :) I heard that only a contingent of 600 bikes were shipped to Germany, and some dealers still have some left in their showroom. The best sold Honda in Germany in 2013 was up to end of November the NC700S with a bit more than 2500 bikes sold. Another 2000 NC700X were sold so far in 2013. I saw a "Top 50" ranking where the #50 was a bike which was sold (from jan-Nov) roughly 450 times. And the CB 1100 was not part of the "Top 50" list. So Honda sold less than 450 items. :(

Well in other words: We all own a very exclusive piece of motorcycle. :D
i think you are correct.
 
_imp said:
ingobohn_imp said:
The best sold bike in Germany (and elsewhere in Europe) is the BMW R 1200 GS ("Gummikuh"). The base bike (with no additional features) costs roughly 14500 EUR (19500 USD), but none of the bikes go out of the dealer's door like this. Most of the bikes are equipped with additional features and end up at a price of 16-17000 EUR (21500-23000 USD).

Again ... above 20000 USD and best sold bike!

Why?
Because it is for the middle age people ... and they have money.
BMW's are not what their cracked up to be.Yes,The Germans
are the mechanics and the French the cooks.The Italians are
the lovers.
Go to master BMW mechanic Chris Harris at YouTube.
Type in - Chris Harris motorcycle -.
Hear him cuss out BMW for a lot of stuff.
BMW also charges way to much.
Take the 10 year or older BMW Montana priced at $ 15,990.
With a 1200 c engine { 1170 cc } and compare to a
Harley T-sport at $ 14,720.With a TC 88 engine { 1450 cc}
BMW's are not what their cracked up to be.Yes,The Germans
are the mechanics and the French the cooks.The Italians are
the lovers. And what are the U.S. Americans then...? :P

Quote: Go to master BMW mechanic Chris Harris at YouTube.
Type in - Chris Harris motorcycle -.
Hear him cuss out BMW for a lot of stuff. You do not need to convince me. Although I am German, I decided not to buy a BMW ... part of the decision was what you described above.

Quote: BMW also charges way to much.
Take the 10 year or older BMW Montana priced at $ 15,990.
With a 1200 c engine { 1170 cc } and compare to a
Harley T-sport at $ 14,720.With a TC 88 engine { 1450 cc} Another part of my decision not to go for a BMW. :D
I test rode a R 1200 R, nice bike but did not catch me. The dealer offered me that bike (6 month old, 9000 km) for only :D 14500 EUR (19700 USD). I refused to buy it. *haha*

By the way: Neither do I have a German bike nor a German car (it's one from the country of the cooks).
 
Gee Whiz, I wish I was middle aged again. :D
I got the extended warranty. When you're my age you don't like financial surprises.
 
meowguy_imp said:
Gee Whiz, I wish I was middle aged again. :D
I got the extended warranty. When you're my age you don't like financial surprises.
I always looked at extended warranties like a betting game.. the dealer is betting it won't break and you are betting it will. I hate betting against my bike.
 
It's cheap insurance. The ABS computer alone would pay for it, not to mention the fuel injection module, the ignition module, or the instrument cluster. Then you could just throw a rod or strip the gears, or the clutch decides to blow up.

What did an ex- president say, trust, but verify. I believe in trust but have a warranty.


Posted from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
 
The ferret_imp said:
meowguy_imp said:
Gee Whiz, I wish I was middle aged again. :D
I got the extended warranty. When you're my age you don't like financial surprises.
I always looked at extended warranties like a betting game.. the dealer is betting it won't break and you are betting it will. I hate betting against my bike.
I always looked at extended warranties like a betting game.. the dealer is betting it won't break and you are betting it will. I hate betting against my bike.
I have to go back and check.I seem to remember that Honda used
to honor a 2 year warranty.I think Harley still does.With unlimited
miles.What has happened to Honda.Are they getting soft in their
motorcycle age.
 
Other than my ST 1300 all Hondas I have owned had a one year warranty. Great if you are in SoCal or Fla..not so good if you are in Buffalo or northern wisc.
 
I'll think about getting an extended after about 10 months of ownership. No sense in paying for it while I'm still under factory warranty. That will also give me time to see what issues higher mileage bikes are having. I work from home so won't be racking up the commuter miles


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I didn't but this bike because it was a ground breaking development or a world beater. I bought it because it harkened back to the days when I didn't care much about most stuff and just rode.
I am quite a bit older now and, hopefully, a bit smarter.
I bought the CB because I love the looks and the feel. The power is enough to keep me smiling and not ever have to worry about the next fastest gun to come along. So what is it won't go over 112? BFD...
I had a Beemer, I sold it to get this.
Next spring I hope to be able to replace the Yamaha Road Star I traded in toward the CB. Not a new one but a bike to be a project as I build a cruiser the way I want one.
 
meowguy_imp said:
It's cheap insurance. The ABS computer alone would pay for it, not to mention the fuel injection module, the ignition module, or the instrument cluster. Then you could just throw a rod or strip the gears, or the clutch decides to blow up.

What did an ex- president say, trust, but verify. I believe in trust but have a warranty.


Posted from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
If only one of these things would break within the first 7-10 years, I would assume it is simply not a Honda.
My former bike (Transalp) was nearly 5 years old when I sold it. And there was nothing to do besides the regular 6000/12000 km checks.
 
When I worked at the Harley dealer, selling an extended warranty, tire road hazard, credit life insurance, even paint chip and dent insurance were all "found money," almost pure profit with a big payoff for the F&I rep and the sales person if they brought the deal in with them already sold.

I sold a used Duece to an Army Master Sgt. who could barely afford the bike. He decided to get the best extended warranty we sold so he wouldn't have to worry about a big repair bill. Two months later he called from a ddealership in NC with a broken belt and drive pulley. The warranty didn't cover it. He was so upset he could barely speak. I'm happy to say our dealership decided to cover the repairs, but that convinced me I'd never sell another warranty.
 
Back
Top