CB1100 - sidecar tug?

dennylee11_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Other than the smallish gas tank, I think the CB1100 would be an excellent sidecar "tug." Eighty horses, big oil cooler. In the next year or so I'm thinking of having Hannigan's put one of their Sprint cars on my CB. Hannigan's is just about 50 miles from my home. I would go the "full monty" on the the rig with easy steer and electronic trim control so it would be a pleasure to ride. Cost? With it paint matched, installed, and every accessory possible - $7500. Steep, but I want it done right. I wonder if I get this done whether I would be the first person to mate a CB to a sidecar?
 
I love the idea, and looked up the Ferret's link - does anyone else think that that bike/sidecar combo looks out of proportion? Sidecar's too big, or the CB's too smal?
 
Insolentsquid_imp said:
I love the idea, and looked up the Ferret's link - does anyone else think that that bike/sidecar combo looks out of proportion? Sidecar's too big, or the CB's too smal?
I have to agree. For my taste, the sidecar seems a bit large. I really like the idea of having a sidecar. My wife would absolutely love it and goes crazy on the rare occasion we actually see one on the road. I'm not sure that I would love it all the time and have no idea how easy it is to mount and dismount the rig and what's left on the bike once the car is off. They had a small section of sidecars at the Progressive Motorcycle Show from a Southern California sidecar club. I should have asked more questions. Still, I'd prefer something much smaller. More like this:



The motorcycle pulling that one happens to be a 1978 Honda CB550K. The article that accompanies the photo can be found here: [url=http://www.bikeexif.com/motorcycle-sidecar]http://www.bikeexif.com/motorcycle-sidecar
 
I am off to the "Motorcycle Live" show in Birmingham (UK) this coming week, it has escaped the Covid shutdown thankfully. I briefly caught site of a CB1100 and Watsonian sidecar in someone's YouTube video from this year. It seems like the owner lends his rig to Watsonian for trade shows, here it is at another show, I shall take some better pictures of it when I get there. Anyone got any questions they would like me to ask Watsonian? Or is the owner on this forum?

 
I know it was a good while back but going back to what metallyguitarded mentions, the smaller sidecar as shown here on a Kawasaki W800 may suit the CB a bit better?



 
The original fibre glass mould for this design was taken from a WW2 Mosquito Fighter Bomber long range fuel tank. The side car company bought up the left over fuel tanks after the war ended and made sidecars out of them as fresh sheet metal was so scarce.
 
Tev62_imp said:
I know it was a good while back but going back to what metallyguitarded mentions, the smaller sidecar as shown here on a Kawasaki W800 may suit the CB a bit better?
These are exquisite CB1100 sidecar specimens. I think they look great.

In contrast, there is a 2021 Honda Africa Twin owner I know who is now adapting his ride for use with a similar retro-style sidecar. After all said and done, in addition to the 2021 Africa Twin cost, the sidecar will add about another $20K to $24K USD to the project.

Yeah, an adventure bike with a classic sidecar.
 
When adding a sidecar, does one have to go through any safety inspection type of thing?
 
Tev62_imp said:
The original fibre glass mould for this design was taken from a WW2 Mosquito Fighter Bomber long range fuel tank. The side car company bought up the left over fuel tanks after the war ended and made sidecars out of them as fresh sheet metal was so scarce.
Fascinating aircraft the Mosquito. The fuselage and wings were made of wood.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
I know it was a good while back but going back to what metallyguitarded mentions, the smaller sidecar as shown here on a Kawasaki W800 may suit the CB a bit better?
These are exquisite CB1100 sidecar specimens. I think they look great.

In contrast, there is a 2021 Honda Africa Twin owner I know who is now adapting his ride for use with a similar retro-style sidecar. After all said and done, in addition to the 2021 Africa Twin cost, the sidecar will add about another $20K to $24K USD to the project.

Yeah, an adventure bike with a classic sidecar.
That is some investment!
Cormanus_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
The original fibre glass mould for this design was taken from a WW2 Mosquito Fighter Bomber long range fuel tank. The side car company bought up the left over fuel tanks after the war ended and made sidecars out of them as fresh sheet metal was so scarce.
Fascinating aircraft the Mosquito. The fuselage and wings were made of wood.
It is, there are many stories of this planes daring exploits. Operation Jericho was an example.
pdedse_imp said:
When adding a sidecar, does one have to go through any safety inspection type of thing?
Country dependent really, in the UK yes Ireland no. If I ever went down this route I would have it fitted professionally though, geometry of the sidecar is everything apparently.
 
I got to the UK Motorcycle Show yesterday for the princely sum of €25.98 ($30 US) return, Dublin, Ireland to Birmingham, UK with a free unmanned rail shuttle from the airport to the exhibition centre, result. Hurrah for budget airlines!

The CB1100 sidecar was a different model to the picture I posted and the chaps there told me they had made a good number of CB1100 rigs. The paint match was very close, and it looked fabulous. He said the smaller Prescot sidecar (the Mosquito Bomber fuel tank one) would be too light for the CB1100, and it would be too much of a mismatch for it. He them promptly showed me the RE Meteor 350 married up to it, that was a nice setup.





 
Back
Top