Cb1100 rack ideas?

B166er_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Looking for something that mounts on level with the seat so I could lay a large duffle, dry bag or back pack along the passenger seat and rack. Bungies. Done.
 
I have made many bungee cords myself over the years.
You can buy all the supplies on line, better cord etc. and make many different lengths.
It was quite satisfying to make them.
 
Thread starter
Really? That's good advice houtman. I just purchased a really nice REI 50L backpack with rainfly. I figure if it's full and it's tail end is nestled in a bungee net of sorts and then lashed down on top, it won't go anywhere. I could carry enough gear for a week and need not buy brackets, bags/boxes

I'm sure there are downsides
 
I have a waterproof duffel from Twisted Throttle (although I would recommend a brand that has an easier to access opening on top) that comes with tie-down straps. I mount it cross ways on the passenger seat with an REI dry bag bungeed on top of it for longer trips. I intend to get ROK Straps to replace the bungee cords. Check them out. Everyone I know that uses them loves them. I was able to keep enough gear for 8 days in my set up; more if I had purchased a larger dry bag. I found that I don't need a rack for my purposes. If my duffel were wider, though, I would probably consider strapping it to a board (think synthetic cutting board) for stability. Here's a pic of how I have it set up. Zoom in to see the mounts. Once you get used to stepping through to get on, it's pretty easy.

 
I have a big set of Rok straps and a small set of rok straps and they are awesome if you have some place to loop the ends thru
 
When the Pterodactyl persuaded me to ride south recently, I bought a 60L SW-Motech Bags Connection dry bag. It's waterproof and opens all the way across the top. It has its own webbing straps, although I bungeed it across the seat in front of my top box. I was also carrying tent, tarpaulin and, later, a camp chair. I'm really pleased with it. I'm not as nimble as EmptySea and found I had to mount the bike by putting my left foot on the peg and swinging my leg over the top.
 
B166er_imp said:
Looking for something that mounts on level with the seat so I could lay a large duffle, dry bag or back pack along the passenger seat and rack. Bungies. Done.

I use the standard (OEM) rack. Lies level with the seat and is easy to install and remove as required. I load it up with all sorts of camping junk etc.. I secure with bungees (small load) or a cargo net and straps if a heavy load.
Here a photo of Cormanus' bike, black on the left, and mine, red on the right:

[/img]

Here's another of mine with the load removed and rack visible. The seat is supporting a can of VB beer about to sucked dry after a hot 550km ride:

[/img]

And another;

[/img]

Cheers
 
Gee, I like that black one! :P
 
Thread starter
Ha! Great pics. I think that's the rack I'm looking for. What kind of saddle bags are those? That's a nice combo.
 
B166.. Note on Pteros bike he has the saddlebags mounted on top of his other stuff so that they clear the turn signals. If he mounted them lower, on top of the seat itself, the bags would have to be much further forward or the turn signals would have to be relocated to the rear to accommodate saddle bags that large.
 
Thread starter
I did notice. Wasn't clear how they were mounted. I like it but I'm not opposed to relocating. I assume relocating would allow me to run the saddle bags, without the other gear. And vice versa, of course.
 
I'll let Pterodactyl explain how he loads the bike. From observation, though, the rig he uses works really well while touring.
 
B166er_imp said:
I did notice. Wasn't clear how they were mounted. I like it but I'm not opposed to relocating. I assume relocating would allow me to run the saddle bags, without the other gear. And vice versa, of course.
As Cormanus says, This rig works well for touring. The bags are from Oxford and are top quality. Sturdy, sealed zips, expandable and come with waterproof bags, that are removable, inset into the outer bags therefore outer covers are not required. The outer bags themselves are highly water resistant. Great product but not cheap. Available on RevZilla etc.

X50 Panniers (saddle bags)

The downside, as ferret correctly points out is that they cannot be mounted on to the seat without repositioning the indicators and also fitting a mount to prevent contact with the shockies. For me not a problem as, if I don't have a lot of gear, I strap a 60ltr cargo bag (the red thing), or smaller, directly to the rack. If I need more I throw the Oxfords over the cargo bag as pictured. The bags are attached by under and over Velcro around the tent and chair and for stability to the rack pins. Easy on and easy off. I generally put camping gear, food, warm jacket, oil etc in the cargo bag and clothing in the Oxfords. The clincher for me is that with load removed I like the look of the rack. I think my photo in my previous post illustrates that.

Cheers
 
Back
Top