CB1100 prices - returning to normal?

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
Remember about 18-24 months ago, when anything with wheels was stupid expensive? I got Carvana emails offering to pay me almost what I paid for my car new. In the SoCal area, I was seeing 2013 CB1100s going for $8-$9k. I thought "Wow, did I make a great decision to buy this instant classic, that's now worth almost double what I paid for it just a few years ago!"

Been watching the used market settle back down... Got a Carvana email a few weeks ago, offering paltry yet realistic trade-in value for my eight-year-old car. And CB1100 asking prices are back down to around what they were before everything went nuts. Still a tick above what I saw in 2019 when I was shopping, but not by much.

Example, here's a '13 for sale just a few miles north of me for $5500. If I didn't have one, I'd be on it: Facebook

'14 Standards are more, but not by astronomical numbers.

What are you guys seeing where you live?
 
Truthfully I haven't looked at an ad for anything, motorcycle or car in years..since it went all internet crazy. I used to look at the local cycle trader magazines that I'd pick up in gas stations in years past, but I never go IN to a gas station any more, its all pay at the pump now.
 
Thread starter
I don't know if you'd find a printed trader magazine in a gas station if you tried these days...
 
I think prices are dropping due to weakening demand. Everyone's discretionary spend is eroded with increased gas & electricity prices, interest rate hikes on mortgages and loans and food inflation. Motorcycling in the west is mostly a leisure activity rather than a necessity.
 
Thread starter
Probably is a factor, but I think the overall spike in vehicle prices is behind us, and "normal" factors are back in play, like demand that ebbs and tides along with the economy, etc.

Our boss is crying poor with all of the increased expenses involved in running our events. Normally, we were treated to a nice lunch and a pat on the back the day before Thanksgiving. This year, the boss came in, said nothing, left at 5:00 like any other day.

One of my coworkers said "Oh man, this is bad... your gonna have to sell one of those motorcycles out back to make your house payment if we get pay cuts!"
 
Yeah, in the land of thumpers, families sometimes travel together on one scooter like in India.

Still hard to believe when you see it with your own eyes. People need the bike to run errands.

The big bikes (greater than 400 cc) it seems to be ridden by foreigners to their next Corona Victoria, or two with a slice of lime.
 
Whoops_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
I just took a look at those links and it seems the "checkered" CB1100 from one of our forum members is up for sale. But additionally there are two other checkered CB's as well! What are the odds?
I just took a look at those links and it seems the "checkered" CB1100 from one of our forum members is up for sale. But additionally there are two other checkered CB's as well! What are the odds?
Not to interfere with any ads, I would say very slim to zero at the end of the season, or sufficient price drop to attract more buyers.
IMHO the CB is not for everyone, but only for a specific buyer.
 
Chequered CB1100s are the go in Canada as it’s what got sent there in 2016.
 
Thread starter
I think if I lived in Canada, I woudn't be happy unless I had a matching black and white checkered helmet.

Or a blue one. We didn't get the blue one.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I think if I lived in Canada, I woudn't be happy unless I had a matching black and white checkered helmet.

Or a blue one. We didn't get the blue one.
And because we didn't, I was forced to buy my blue w800.
 
Thread starter
pdedse_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
I think if I lived in Canada, I woudn't be happy unless I had a matching black and white checkered helmet.

Or a blue one. We didn't get the blue one.
And because we didn't, I was forced to buy my blue w800.
And because we didn't, I was forced to buy my blue w800.
... and for $300 from Ebay India, I'm still thinking about a blue tank for my Interceptor.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
I think if I lived in Canada, I woudn't be happy unless I had a matching black and white checkered helmet.

Or a blue one. We didn't get the blue one.
And because we didn't, I was forced to buy my blue w800.
And because we didn't, I was forced to buy my blue w800.
... and for $300 from Ebay India, I'm still thinking about a blue tank for my Interceptor.
And because we didn't, I was forced to buy my blue w800.
... and for $300 from Ebay India, I'm still thinking about a blue tank for my Interceptor.
That's why you have an Interceptor...a blue cb1100 tank was going to be $1300 shipped.

Buy the blue! But if you do, I'll pass through.
 
Thread starter
Wait, Pdedse, if I buy a blue tank, you're gonna ride back down here from Oregon?
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Remember about 18-24 months ago, when anything with wheels was stupid expensive? I got Carvana emails offering to pay me almost what I paid for my car new. In the SoCal area, I was seeing 2013 CB1100s going for $8-$9k. I thought "Wow, did I make a great decision to buy this instant classic, that's now worth almost double what I paid for it just a few years ago!"

Been watching the used market settle back down... Got a Carvana email a few weeks ago, offering paltry yet realistic trade-in value for my eight-year-old car. And CB1100 asking prices are back down to around what they were before everything went nuts. Still a tick above what I saw in 2019 when I was shopping, but not by much.

Example, here's a '13 for sale just a few miles north of me for $5500. If I didn't have one, I'd be on it: Facebook

'14 Standards are more, but not by astronomical numbers.

What are you guys seeing where you live?

Used asking prices seem to be dropping a little but I imagine most actual selling prices are much less than asking, or they simply aren't selling.

On new stuff MSRP is up but so is inventory, as well as the all important interest, so dealers are having to discount. In chatting with the local "all 4 Japanese brand plus KTM" he said at least 90% of their sales are financed which seems crazy to me. But the higher payments have really slowed down their sales even on desirable new models. They had 2 of Honda's new Transalps plus a Tenere 700 sitting on the floor.

I saw where Dodge 1500 truck inventory is at well over 200 days with 3500 trucks almost 400 days. That means based on the rate they have been selling for the last 45 days it'll take over a year to sell out those 1 ton trucks and that's if they don't make another one! And 2024's are coming, so I expect we'll see some major rebates and incentives on high priced cars and trucks. As far as Powersports a start would be to do away with adding freight and freight surcharges.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I think if I lived in Canada, I woudn't be happy unless I had a matching black and white checkered helmet.

Or a blue one. We didn't get the blue one.
Checked tank and helmet might look good during the Distinguished Gentlemen's Ride.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Wait, Pdedse, if I buy a blue tank, you're gonna ride back down here from Oregon?
I'm thinking my daughter is going to need some cat-sitting again next summer...could be a good time to stretch the w800s legs, maybe compare blue tanks?!
 
Back
Top