CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter
Tombstone is a brand of frozen pizza. The brand was started by two brothers in Wisconsin in the early 60s. The name came from the name of the bar the brothers owned. The frozen pizzas became a popular bar snack at their bar and other bars/restaurants/lounges began carrying tombstone pizzas. Often there’s a sign in the bar “Serving Tombstone Pizzas”. A Google search revealed that brand is owned by Nestle now, but I didn’t dive in too far to the web to research this.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Tombstone is a brand of frozen pizza. The brand was started by two brothers in Wisconsin in the early 60s. The name came from the name of the bar the brothers owned. The frozen pizzas became a popular bar snack at their bar and other bars/restaurants/lounges began carrying tombstone pizzas. Often there’s a sign in the bar “Serving Tombstone Pizzas”. A Google search revealed that brand is owned by Nestle now, but I didn’t dive in too far to the web to research this.
Okay, that is indeed sumthin' different.

:biker:

... and heck, ...

:bacon:
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Ooooo, Tev.

Very nice submission.

How old is that headstone (grave?) inside the ruins?
That I don't know. It's an odd place isn't it? The ruined Church is from the Norman times but I doubt the grave there is from those times. I shall have another look next time I pass because I wan't to know now :D.
 
Ha! I ate plenty of Tombstone frozen pizzas in my single days. And I remember their commercial tag line: “What do you want on your Tombstone?”
 
This is Old St John the Baptist's church in Clontarf in Dublin. It was here that Bram Stoker (author of Dracula) was baptised on 30th Dec 1847. He lived nearby. Family lore says that he was a distant cousin of ours, but I still haven't found the link yet.

 
Nice, Spechg. You have more photo skills than I do.

Easy way to see if you're a distant relative to Dracula. Can you see yourself in a mirror?
 
Awesome pic Spechg. How in the world do you get color and black and white in the same shot?????
 
The ferret_imp said:
Awesome pic Spechg. How in the world do you get color and black and white in the same shot?????
Thanks Ferret, it's easily done with Adobe Lightroom. You just reduce the saturation on all colours except for red. I thought black and white with blood red suited the Dracula theme!
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Nice, Spechg. You have more photo skills than I do.

Easy way to see if you're a distant relative to Dracula. Can you see yourself in a mirror?
I wondered why shaving was so difficult every morning.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Awesome pic Spechg. How in the world do you get color and black and white in the same shot?????
I did the same for my 2023 calendar entry. You can use photo editing software such as Adobe Photoshop Elements and ask it to make the picture black and white but exclude everything of a certain colour, in this case Red.
 
6e099f2cc5826885ec3df73a3ef21d6e.jpg


Spring Hill Cemetery, Huntington, WV.

Gravesite/memorial to the 37 members of the Marshall University football team, coaching staff, team doctors, athletic director and 25 boosters that perished in the November 1970 plane crash returning from a game against East Carolina University.
75 total fatalities. 6 unidentified.

From the “History Channel”…..

“For Huntington, the plane crash was “like the Kennedy assassination,” one citizen remembers. “Everybody knows where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news.” The town immediately went into mourning. Shops and government offices closed; businesses on the town’s main street draped their windows in black bunting. The university held a memorial service in the stadium the next day and cancelled Monday’s classes. There were so many funerals that they had to be spread out over several weeks. In perhaps the saddest ceremony of all, six players whose remains couldn’t be identified were buried together in Spring Hill Cemetery, on a hill overlooking their university.”

Each year, on the anniversary date, this fountain on the Marshall University Campus is turned off. Each nail represents one of the 75 deceased.

If you ever get a chance, stream the movie “We Are Marshall”.

Seems almost sacrilegious to post……


50eac8ffcb518b5d7ff56e0b3ba0bc1a.jpg





Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Ron, my wife's brother was on that team. He was injured and didn't make the trip. You'd have thought that he would have had great relief for missing that flight, instead he felt deep regret/shame about it for years and eventually drank himself to death at age 46.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top