CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the Old Town section of Orange, there was a hair styling school prominently placed among the old restaurants and antique shops. It had large windows, and strolling through the neighborhood, it was fun to watch the students practcing on their "volunteers". Being a volunteer was also a great way to get a really cheap haircut.

Old Town has gone through a renovation within the last few years, and the hair school is now a Chase bank. Much of the renovation has gone along with the expansion of Chapman College, which is two blocks from the old fountain in the middle of the Old Town area.

Chapman is a very prestigious school, and very expensive. When I graduated from high school in '86, I received a letter from Chapman, saying that I had been accepted "with honors", despite the fact that I hadn't even applied, knowing that my family couldn't afford it. Unfortunately, Chapman didn't include any financial support with that acceptance letter, so Cal State it was. Go Titans!

Over the past few years, Chapman has expanded like a weed patch. What was once a stately old building occupying a block or so now covers most of the Northwest portion of Downtown Orange. They have several buildings covering many different disciplines. What I really appreciate is that this is a historically preserved area. Many of the homes are over 100 years old, and being a fruit packing city in the old days, there are several old warehouses and commercial buildings. Chapman has been very careful to preserve the look of the town, by renovating and repurposing the old buildings. I think this dance studio was once an office building. And, where they have built new classrooms, dorms, apartments and parking garages, they fit the landscape and blend in.
 
Two extremes of my life in this photo. The "institute of higher learning" in question is the University of Science and Technology in Trondheim, which opened in 1910 and is quite highly regarded. It also represents one of my biggest mistakes: I could have, and should have, studied here, but I was simply too irresponsible and immature to do it back then.
The other extreme is the CB1100: easily the best bike I ever owned, and thus one of my best life decisions.

da0a6af655291d088fd031ff631d47f2.jpg
 


INSA is Institut National des Sciences Appliquées. There are now 7 INSA in France, the one in Lyon remaining the largest one, with about 1000 engineers graduated each year. It was the first one, founded in 1957. I went there in 1973, for 5 years. One of my daughters came also and got her engineering degree in 2003!

INSA LYON

When I come back to Lyon I like to have a look at the place, it changed quite a lot but I still can find my way inside. Only this year the oldest buildings are being dismantled... (built in very short time in 1957...) :s Requiem pour un peigne
 
Took this picture on the way back from NC last weekend. The school is located about 12 miles from where I grew up; about 75 miles from where I currently live.
When I attended school at this location in the mid 70’s, it was known as “Beckley Junior College”. I took 12 core class hours during the summer between my sophomore and junior years while a full-time student at WV Institute of Technology (WVIT). When I attended WVIT, it was in Montgomery WV and was highly acclaimed as a top-rated engineering school. Many foreign countries sent their students here.
Years after I graduated, WVIT was “taken over” by the West Virginia University who weakly attempted to maintain it in Montgomery. It didn’t last much longer in Montgomery after WVU came on the scene. Pretty much all of the schools buildings are now dormant and it’s absence has made Montgomery a ghost town.
Ironically, WVU “moved” WVIT to Beckley about 2-3 years ago and renamed it “WVU Institute of Technology”.
So, both higher education schools I attended by namesake and
graduated from are now in the same buildings and town. Also, the high school (grades 9-12) I attended caught fire and was eventually demolished, the middle school I attended (7-8th grade) is closed and students merged/bused to an adjoining town. The grade school (grades 1-6) closed 2 years ago.
Sadly, none the schools I attended exist in their original form. Man, I must be getting old.
2baa8126573b3d29bc594209ba4bad8b.png



dd02f99fee8cbbc193ea945bdd0f885f.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Well that's a sad story! But your education was sound and that's what counts.
The consolidating of schools has been good from a financial point of view and I'm sure there are other positives, but I went to small schools and the experience was a good one. Ah, well. Progress.
 
Good picture with your background story. I don’t think the demises and changes to your former schools had anything to do with you attending them? :rofl:
 
mtneers_imp said:
Took this picture on the way back from NC last weekend. The school is located about 12 miles from where I grew up; about 75 miles from where I currently live.
When I attended school at this location in the mid 70’s, it was known as “Beckley Junior College”. I took 12 core class hours during the summer between my sophomore and junior years while a full-time student at WV Institute of Technology (WVIT). When I attended WVIT, it was in Montgomery WV and was highly acclaimed as a top-rated engineering school. Many foreign countries sent their students here.
Years after I graduated, WVIT was “taken over” by the West Virginia University who weakly attempted to maintain it in Montgomery. It didn’t last much longer in Montgomery after WVU came on the scene. Pretty much all of the schools buildings are now dormant and it’s absence has made Montgomery a ghost town.
Ironically, WVU “moved” WVIT to Beckley about 2-3 years ago and renamed it “WVU Institute of Technology”.
So, both higher education schools I attended by namesake and
graduated from are now in the same buildings and town. Also, the high school (grades 9-12) I attended caught fire and was eventually demolished, the middle school I attended (7-8th grade) is closed and students merged/bused to an adjoining town. The grade school (grades 1-6) closed 2 years ago.
Sadly, none the schools I attended exist in their original form. Man, I must be getting old.
2baa8126573b3d29bc594209ba4bad8b.png



dd02f99fee8cbbc193ea945bdd0f885f.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
But your bike sure looks fresh!
 
pdedse_imp said:
mtneers_imp said:
Took this picture on the way back from NC last weekend. The school is located about 12 miles from where I grew up; about 75 miles from where I currently live.
When I attended school at this location in the mid 70’s, it was known as “Beckley Junior College”. I took 12 core class hours during the summer between my sophomore and junior years while a full-time student at WV Institute of Technology (WVIT). When I attended WVIT, it was in Montgomery WV and was highly acclaimed as a top-rated engineering school. Many foreign countries sent their students here.
Years after I graduated, WVIT was “taken over” by the West Virginia University who weakly attempted to maintain it in Montgomery. It didn’t last much longer in Montgomery after WVU came on the scene. Pretty much all of the schools buildings are now dormant and it’s absence has made Montgomery a ghost town.
Ironically, WVU “moved” WVIT to Beckley about 2-3 years ago and renamed it “WVU Institute of Technology”.
So, both higher education schools I attended by namesake and
graduated from are now in the same buildings and town. Also, the high school (grades 9-12) I attended caught fire and was eventually demolished, the middle school I attended (7-8th grade) is closed and students merged/bused to an adjoining town. The grade school (grades 1-6) closed 2 years ago.
Sadly, none the schools I attended exist in their original form. Man, I must be getting old.
2baa8126573b3d29bc594209ba4bad8b.png



dd02f99fee8cbbc193ea945bdd0f885f.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
But your bike sure looks fresh!
But your bike sure looks fresh!
^^+1^^ :D
 
I had a productive day so far. I went to my dealer and had new tires, angled valve stems and new rear brake pads installed. Then I took a ride to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. With heighten security measures, you can not just drive in and capture pictures of the beautiful buildings. So I got a photo of the former “Lee Gate” located on Route 218.
5f984d28ee6482f8b61ab0746e765d3b.jpg
 
Thread starter
f9e6c075a808cfab2bd3d4afd0a0bc16.jpg



While the building pictured looks like a chapel and is even named “Lawrence Memorial Chapel”, it is actually the music hall for Lawrence University in Appleton, WI. My son, Justin, performed in numerous concerts in this building from. He received his B.A. in music (Trombone performance) along with a B.S. in mathematics from Lawrence in 2017. He received his Masters in Music degree from Boston Conservatory in 2019 and will be applying to schools for his doctoral degree this fall. Covid-19 has put a halt to performing publicly and will undoubtedly have some affect on his pursuit of his DMA and his goal of teaching music at the collegiate level. He’s one talented and intelligent guy. We know he got his smarts from his mom (duh), but no one knows the origins of his musical talent.

Appleton is a great town and there are some fantastic motorcycle roads in the area. We were passing through on our way to and from our motorcycle trip to Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Nice and good back story on your son. Sounds like a talented young man (smart too)
 
EmptySea_imp said:
f9e6c075a808cfab2bd3d4afd0a0bc16.jpg



While the building pictured looks like a chapel and is even named “Lawrence Memorial Chapel”, it is actually the music hall for Lawrence University in Appleton, WI. My son, Justin, performed in numerous concerts in this building from. He received his B.A. in music (Trombone performance) along with a B.S. in mathematics from Lawrence in 2017. He received his Masters in Music degree from Boston Conservatory in 2019 and will be applying to schools for his doctoral degree this fall. Covid-19 has put a halt to performing publicly and will undoubtedly have some affect on his pursuit of his DMA and his goal of teaching music at the collegiate level. He’s one talented and intelligent guy. We know he got his smarts from his mom (duh), but no one knows the origins of his musical talent.

Appleton is a great town and there are some fantastic motorcycle roads in the area. We were passing through on our way to and from our motorcycle trip to Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great pic! I played in that hall in 1978. Small world!
 
suhawk305_imp said:
I had a productive day so far. I went to my dealer and had new tires, angled valve stems and new rear brake pads installed. Then I took a ride to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. With heighten security measures, you can not just drive in and capture pictures of the beautiful buildings. So I got a photo of the former “Lee Gate” located on Route 218.
5f984d28ee6482f8b61ab0746e765d3b.jpg
Nice! Did you do the Storm King Highway? Loved that road.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top