CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter
Willow Road Dam, Winnetka, IL.
Dam was built as a Civilian Conservation Corps project to create the Skokie Lagoons out of marshland while putting men to work during the Great Depression. The digging of the lagoons was one of the largest (if not the largest) public works projects of the Depression.

42bf4373d518f63b495bfba624f28298.jpg
 
Nice. So how ya liking the seat covering Sea?
 
Thread starter
Like it a lot. cooler in the summer and it has good grip. Cheryl added the SitNFly to her Speedmaster and likes it, too. Pretty good $30 addition.
 
Hey Empty, looks a little like the dam I drive across when I go to Joliet each year to work an event at Rt. 66 Raceway. Guys fish from it, looks very peaceful!
 
Thread starter
There are a number of dams along the Des Plaines River which is most likely the river you cross getting to the track. I don't recall any of those dams having roads atop them, though. If you think of it, check Google Maps or something and let me know where you're crossing.

Most of the dams were built for flood control in the 1920's/30's, I think, but I'm no dam expert. ;) They are in the (tediously slow) process of removing them in an effort to restore a more natural flow to the Des Plaines.
 
Great shot MTC.

Today I stopped by the Wallenpaupack Hydroelectric Project during my 112 mile ride in Northeast Pennsylvania.
4b43eb7057058755a3d97e35a036788f.jpg

4c3c53ef8c92c0d0d708e2980f0f1707.jpg
 
Yeah ... wrong thread dsan1964, but I won't move it. This time. :)
 
Pretty Dam good pictures PB. As part of a Dam conference in Buffalo, I went on tours in the Sir Adam Beck, Robert Moses, and Lewiston Pump Generation Hydroelectric Projects. Amazing area.
 
Hey Empty, I cross the Des Plaines on Brandon Rd. I guess it must just be a bridge, but it is adjacent to a dam. The bridge also shows as closed on the map. Maybe due to dam removal you’re talking about?

Not headed there this year, so won’t see it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top