CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
found another one

89e259d3fd4fcc301e72b04c19537447.jpg
 
Still trying to find one . . . assuming it's warm enough (say 40°F) I'll ride up into the mountains this weekend or early next week and use one of the wind turbines as my "windmill".
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Was it this one, InhouseBob?

A Texas farmer, on a tour Down Under, was talking to a bloke about his ranch back home. “It’s so big”, he said, “that I can start driving from one side at sun rise and not have reached the other at nightfall.”

The bloke took a a sip from his beer, nodded, and said, “I had a car like that once.”

On the matter of farm sizes, it is, of course, the Chinese, who now lay claim to the largest farm on the planet. The Mudanjiang City Mega Farm in Heilongjiang, China, manages an astounding 22,500,000 acres. Australia’s largest, Anna Creek Stationacres. For more information, see Biggest Farms In The World
Nope. Something about "toss you for it." not to give away the punch line :s
Nope. Something about "toss you for it." not to give away the punch line :s
Ah ...

Until his death in 2005, Kerry Francis Bullmore Packer was Australia's richest person. Aside from being a very successful business man, he was a prodigious gambler and is said both to have made and broken casinos. He owned a couple as well.

The story goes that Kerry was playing the tables in Las Vegas one night when he was approached by a Texan who started making a nuisance of himself. When asked to go away, the Texan is said to have asked, "Do you know who I am?"

"No", said Packer.

"I happen to be worth $100 million", said the Texan.

"Toss you for it", replied Packer.
 
Got 'em! It was 43°F at 6:00 AM when I left home, so with a Roadcrafter 1-piece suit, long underwear, and Gerbing's heated jacket liner and gloves I was quite comfortable. This is the Mill Run Wind Farm Project, located near Normalville, PA.

Mill Run Wind Energy Center - Wikipedia

I think it was more like 35°F when I was up on the mountain, because after I parked the bike and took my gloves off, I darn near froze . . .

Two photos, because one shows the bike more clearly (always like to look at it!), but the more distant shot is needed to illustrate the enormity of these turbines. It actually sends chills up my spine to be so close to these things; they are eerie. If they "drone" (which they are criticized for doing), I could not hear them, and I was very close.

 
Nice shots cookiemech. Never been close to one of those. They look huge!
 
Nice shorts!
Recently had the opportunity to walk around one laying on the ground at a dock, they really are bigger than they look.
 
I just found the following in an old newspaper article, written as these turbines were about to be place in operation:

"The windmills planted at an elevation of 2,700-2,900 feet, tower 230 feet above the ridge. Each has three blades more than 100 feet in length - close to the height of a 10-story building."

They are astonishingly large. Until you park near them, you cannot appreciate their size. I've seen plenty of them from a distance and been impressed, but today was a whole new experience.
 
I ran across a pic of me in 2008 when I had a Magna, it was fast for a 750
Exercising my right to bear arms lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 
lol that's not a windmill mate. THIS is a windmill...well a bunch of them! Good job Rockhop.
 
Thank you, rockhop. Cool photos.
 
The Windmill Museum is pretty cool. They even have an windmill for milling grain and, of course, an interesting history.

The first windmill to be built in North America was constructed in 1621 for Sir George Yeardley on his plantation, Flowerdew Hundred, in Virginia. The original windmill was destroyed in a storm, but remains were found in later excavations.

In 1978 a new, commemorative windmill was built at Flowerdew Hundred incorporating features that illustrate the development of English windmill technology through the 18th century. In the summer of 2010 this commemorative mill was moved from Virginia to its current home in Lubbock and is one of the very few working Post-Mills in the Western Hemisphere.

The defining feature is that the whole body of the mill that houses the machinery is mounted on a single vertical post, around which it can be turned to bring the sails into the wind.

c6768fe3a1caeae14ca61641dea53a47.jpg


Inside, the museum has the collection of Millstones from Flowerdew Hundred. A fascinating subject in itself.
The ferret_imp said:
lol that's not a windmill mate. THIS is a windmill...well a bunch of them! Good job Rockhop.
Actually a very apropos quote. I think the Southern Cross windmills are the largest diameter windmills (windpumps) in the collection.
 
How many times have you ridden past it Suhawk? Most of the ones I have spotted I have ridden past hundreds of times without seeing them.
 
Yes, that is exactly is true in my case. I drive on this road at least two times a week. The wind mill is only about 5 miles from my house! Coming back from my group ride today, I took this road knowing there are a lot of farms along it. I looked for a wind mill and couldn’t believe It was there when I blew right past it. I did a U turn and got the picture.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top