CB1100 is under powered

cbdtran_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I have the bike for 10 months, and always feel the bike is under powered. One up is okay, but 2 up I can feel the bike is under powered in city traffic. On long country stretch, to pass a car at 75 MPH it is not always as easy as i think it should be, it have to be quicker in a limited time frame, the bike requires more time and distance and timing to do so at 4th gear.

this bike is a casual ride for its cc volume, well behaved and yet needs some more torque. How about 105+ HP and 80 lbs/ft w/o sacrisfying MPH? Do I wish too much?
 
cbdtran_imp said:
I have the bike for 10 months, and always feel the bike is under powered. One up is okay, but 2 up I can feel the bike is under powered in city traffic. On long country stretch, to pass a car at 75 MPH it is not always as easy as i think it should be, it have to be quicker in a limited time frame, the bike requires more time and distance and timing to do so at 4th gear.

this bike is a casual ride for its cc volume, well behaved and yet needs some more torque. How about 105+ HP and 80 lbs/ft w/o sacrisfying MPH? Do I wish too much?
The bike wasn't spec'd for that.
My old long gone air-cooled FJ1100 was far more sprightly than the CB1100 and is probably close to or a bit beyond what you're looking for. Meaning that it is possible to get an air cooled 4 cyl 1100 to do what you ask, it's just not what the CB1100 is.
Even so, to make a quick pass at freeway speed on the FJ1100 still required 2 or 3 downshifts to get into the power band.

I've never tried a ZX-14, maybe that was what you're looking for (?)
 
I can see how you would feel that way riding two up. There are a number of people experimenting with getting more torque and hp out of this bike. Do some searching for the ecu/ecm reflash. If you do a lot of two up riding, you may want to look at another bike.

Try a Suzuki Bandit 1250S...
 
I only ever ride alone, and with my 195 pound weight, the bike has plenty of performance for me.
But I also can see why you would feel that way with two on board. The added weight would certainly test the CB's modest power and torque and you probably made the wrong choice for two-up riding.
 
Yep, always wished this bike had 135 HP and weighed 40 lbs less...but does OK for my new slower style and keeps me out of trouble.
 
I was cruising around at 260# all by myself and I never really thought of it as under powered, but then again I came from a 750 nighthawk soo....

I even did some 2 up riding with a close to 200# passenger and it did feel a bit sluggish at that point, but hauling around 300# shouldn't be an issue I wouldn't think.

Just clutch, click, click and go.
 
Accelerating in overdrive gears is a bit counterproductive isn't it? I think the CB does a great job pulling in 5th and I'm roughly the size of a polar bear (whiter, though).
 
I did have my ECM reflashed but even before that my bike still ran great just runs better now. But when it was bone stock mine would run 100 plus in 2nd gear I think! I have another bone stock bike I will try it maybe it's over 100 in 3rd gear even hit the speed limiter. I think some of y'all are scared to rap up the rpms!! It don't start pulling till your over 7k and let they baby hit 9k then shift again. You want need 4th gear
 
In a Honda video, the designers said that their goal was to make riding the CB "like taking a walk in the park.". I'm sure they could have gotten more power out of the engine, but they said they traded that for an incredibly flat torque line and smooth throttle response.

Having said that, I'm sure 100 HP is a very attainable number for this engine with the right mods. Intake, exhaust, a fuel controller, and a dyno tune should get it pretty close.
 
Sorry, bike is not underpowered. Quite certain it meets design specs. You just want more power. Speed and performance of any bike is limited only by the size of your checkbook. You could turn your bike into the prototype for the "super CB". Maby just consider a Super Sport? Have fun and ride safe.
 
You could develop a turbo kit, with the added HP would come increasing insurance cost. You need a different bike and they are available from the CB's 85 all the way close to 190. If I need more, I'll go buy something else.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Never rode 2 up and only carrying about 170lbs
Third is always my go too gear. Any back road ridding or passing is in this gear. I'm always in third from 40-80mph (unless on the highway) and the bike pulls hard. Should not be a problem making a pass if your in the power band.

Edit: Try 3rd gear at 75mph to make your pass, that will bring you up to 105 in a heart beat, AND SCARE THE CRAP OUT OF YOUR PASSENGER:)
 
Has to be perspective. I'm 300 pounds myself and the CB scares the shiz out of me. But.... my largest bike before the CB was a 800cc Suzuki.
 
400 lbs two-up in full gear, and I get slapped by my wife if I'm not real easy on the throttle. And that was with just a Staintune exhaust, ie little to no HP gain.
 
cbdtran_imp said:
I have the bike for 10 months, and always feel the bike is under powered. One up is okay, but 2 up I can feel the bike is under powered in city traffic. On long country stretch, to pass a car at 75 MPH it is not always as easy as i think it should be, it have to be quicker in a limited time frame, the bike requires more time and distance and timing to do so at 4th gear.

this bike is a casual ride for its cc volume, well behaved and yet needs some more torque. How about 105+ HP and 80 lbs/ft w/o sacrisfying MPH? Do I wish too much?
It is underpowered for an 1140cc engine, but it was designed that way. My 1000cc sportbike makes a whole lot more power because it was designed that way, too. Like someone said, maybe you bought the wrong bike for 2 up riding. :beerchug:
 
Thread starter
CIP57_imp said:
Never rode 2 up and only carrying about 170lbs
Third is always my go too gear. Any back road ridding or passing is in this gear. I'm always in third from 40-80mph (unless on the highway) and the bike pulls hard. Should not be a problem making a pass if your in the power band.

Edit: Try 3rd gear at 75mph to make your pass, that will bring you up to 105 in a heart beat, AND SCARE THE CRAP OUT OF YOUR PASSENGER:)
the problem is i am a lazy rider, top gear and expects the bike to pull like a train. I did downshift to 4th while passing at 75 MPH, it pulls hard but not hard enough if there is oncoming car.

I guess that I expect more the this bike, it is designed first and foremost for Japanese market and Japanese roads are much shorter and smaller than here, so is tame pony comes with it.
 
More power and torque than I need. Even two up and me and the misses are not little people. I get the slap up beside helmet very quickly. I can down shift and roll on the throttle and pass with ease two up riding. If I wanted faster I'd have brought a crotch rocket. Its all about being in the right gear for the power that you need.:biker:
 
Lots of folks have ridden many miles two up on 1100 Sabres and Shadows and this bike has far more HP than either one.
 
Back
Top