CB1100 is under powered

You want POWER, trade in that retro CB1100 for a Suzuki Bandit and you'll get plenty of power. I had a 2004 Suzuki Bandit 1200/S http://www.photosbytink.com/Bandit/ that had enough power to be scary fast! I sold the Bandit because it had more power that than needed... and I was convinced that the police would take my license away if they ever caught up with me.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
In a Honda video, the designers said that their goal was to make riding the CB "like taking a walk in the park.". I'm sure they could have gotten more power out of the engine, but they said they traded that for an incredibly flat torque line and smooth throttle response.

Having said that, I'm sure 100 HP is a very attainable number for this engine with the right mods. Intake, exhaust, a fuel controller, and a dyno tune should get it pretty close.
Hello Spaceman, do you have a link for this video so I can have a watch?
 
Aussie_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
In a Honda video, the designers said that their goal was to make riding the CB "like taking a walk in the park.". I'm sure they could have gotten more power out of the engine, but they said they traded that for an incredibly flat torque line and smooth throttle response.

Having said that, I'm sure 100 HP is a very attainable number for this engine with the right mods. Intake, exhaust, a fuel controller, and a dyno tune should get it pretty close.
Hello Spaceman, do you have a link for this video so I can have a watch?
Hello Spaceman, do you have a link for this video so I can have a watch?
I don't. But, I did post it on this forum right after Guth started it up, so it is in here somewhere. If time permits I will search for it. Meantime, maybe someone else can post it. Its extremely good; its what convinced me to put a deposit in the CB months before they shipped to the US.
 
I'm finding out the CB1100 has the power to feed the inner hooligan if you want to do that. For freight train power I have the Griso. Big revving V twin produces power very much unlike an inline four. The two motors have different personalities and for touring, I think I prefer the Griso. Once I get the seat sorted.

But if you think the CB is under powered, you bought the wrong bike. There are a boat load of very good bikes out there to choose from so there is no reason you can't find one that fits you to a t. Or two or three for than matter! :D
 
These pages have much of the same information the video did. They explain why power output was NOT a driving design goal. They also have some interesting comments on the (original) tank design, and why it's the size and shape it is.

Honda Motor Co.,Ltd.|Honda Global Corporate Website

The ethos they expressed about making the bike are a bit of a departure for what I think of when I consider Honda. It's actually (dare I say it) closer to what Harley Davidson does. (I'll go shoot myself now).
 
Thread starter
Randy B_imp said:
Here is your bandit
I almost bought this bike in 97 or 99, hold it then almost bought the Yamaha FZ1 first gen. These bikes are quick, have 120 HP

The Suzuki Bandit 1200 has very smooth engine, I think the engine is smoother than the CB1100 if my mem serves me right. I however dislike the name very much "Bandit" ???
 
If you are a Lazy Rider than I don't think you need a bike with mucho Power. It's like what Spidermans Uncle said to Spiderman "Peter Parker" that with great Power comes great Reponsibility.

Everyday I tell myself before I ride to work that today is going to be a good relaxing ride to work day. I travel @70-75mph on the freeway carpool lane But then I get a Cager tailgating me So I hit the gas and put a good margin till I hit 112 rev limit. Mine has terrific pick up but it has its limitations and I am ok with that.
 
112mph in the car pool lane in commute traffic, you got brass ones. Good on you, my hat's off to you.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Elipten_imp said:
112mph in the car pool lane in commute traffic, you got brass ones. Good on you, my hat's off to you.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It doesn't surprise me when traffic paces at 90 down here.
 
Yup. Gone are the days you travel 65mph on freeways here in la.
Just stating that the cb is no slouch even in freeway traffic. While in city riding its faster than anything on 4 wheels out here.
 
I keep the revs around 5000 if I want to have serious pull and even stock this bike has plenty of pep. I wouldn't call it underpowered. It simply is what it was meant to be and will keep up with or better anything this side of a sport bike.
 
Oboro_imp said:
I keep the revs around 5000 if I want to have serious pull and even stock this bike has plenty of pep. I wouldn't call it underpowered. It simply is what it was meant to be and will keep up with or better anything this side of a sport bike.
Best way I have seen it put yet. Its not for everyone but its plenty for me.
 
I would suspect that we have an O.P who would be better off buying a twin or triple cyclinder machine, as he wants lots of grunt, low down.

His reluctance to use high revs (and lower gears) leads me to think a more suitable bike might be something like either a big twin cylinder cruiser like a Suzuki M1800 Intruder or Kawasaki VN1700 Classic.

If neither or these have enough torque (which is what he's asking for) then he should bite the bullet and buy a Triumph Rocket III which with its 2294 cc three cyclinder lump should haul OP and his wife along at a brisk pace, whatever the weather.
 
Saw one of those Triumphs today. What a beast of a bike. The dual headlights gave it a sporty look and kept it from looking too Harley-esque... If that's possible
 
Back
Top