CB1100 Idle speed instability problem

Riko_imp said:
MM300_imp said:
Riko_imp said:
MM300_imp said:
Probably Speaking too soon here but I'm gonna post it anyway.

I decided to try the throttle twisting reset this afternoon.

Key on, gauges cycle, then kill switch on, wait for under tank sounds to cease, three slow throttle twists from zero to full. Kill switch to off position, key to off position.

Key on, gauges, kill switch, sounds done, start.

I then warm the bike up until the idle settles to normal and go for a ten mile around town stop and go ride in today's 90F heat. Much farther and longer that it takes to reach full operating temperature. At each stop the idle settled right down to spec.

So there's at least something to this throttle reset.

Do I think my bike is cured/fixed? No.

Do I think the high idle will return? Likely

I'm going to continue to ride it. I still love the bike even if I've lost some confidence in it. I'll post back in this thread if and when the idle goes wacky again whether its tomorrow or next year.

I believe that this is going to be an issue for every CB owner until Honda figures it out and provides us with a real fix.
:dodgy:

What a statement, based on what? Your believe...?
Bold, especially since we (incl. Honda) simply don't know cuss.

We don't know if its market specific (US/Europe/Asia)
.....if its model specific (EX/DLX/Std/new model)
.....if it are certain batches
.....if its only certain build years
......what/if its triggered by something

Etc..

So we don't even know the root cause.
Let alone do we know how to fix the issue.
What issue? Because ever since my last post I've been lurking nere and reading all kinds of things, a mix of 'issues'.
Only high idle
Only low idle
High + low idle
Low idle + stalling
High + low idle + stalling

The most important question to me other than whats the cause + solution is, how many of the total amount of CB1100's sold are affected with real low idle/stalling problems.

Again, we know nothing and every so called cause and solution here is pure speculation.
The fact the dealer replaced my whole throttle body says a lot, they simply don't know diddly-squat.

So, making a statement like that is very far fetched tbh.
I'd rather believe that the majority of CB owners won't and never will have this issue than stating the above.
:dodgy:

What a statement, based on what? Your believe...?
Bold, especially since we (incl. Honda) simply don't know cuss.
So it shouldn't be concerning to all CB owners that Honda has put out a bike, some of which have an issue that they themselves cannot explain and the 'fix' costs $2500.00 to $3000.00?

My well maintained bike has been on the road for over three years and all of a sudden this happens?

I think you answered your own question.

You got yours fixed under warranty right?

Are you sure that the new parts that were installed won't go the same way your originals did? I hope they'll be fine for you, but I'm skeptical. And since Honda cannot, or will not, supply us with an actual cause and a solid real solution it puts a bit of a cloud over the bike as it's a known issue.

Sure, not all the CB's will be afflicted so don't take it personal man. I want everybody to have a perfectly functioning bike that also has a great reputation around the world.

My opinion, this can effect the value of the bike which should be concerning for every CB owner.
:dodgy:

What a statement, based on what? Your believe...?
Bold, especially since we (incl. Honda) simply don't know cuss.
So it shouldn't be concerning to all CB owners that Honda has put out a bike, some of which have an issue that they themselves cannot explain and the 'fix' costs $2500.00 to $3000.00?

My well maintained bike has been on the road for over three years and all of a sudden this happens?

I think you answered your own question.

You got yours fixed under warranty right?

Are you sure that the new parts that were installed won't go the same way your originals did? I hope they'll be fine for you, but I'm skeptical. And since Honda cannot, or will not, supply us with an actual cause and a solid real solution it puts a bit of a cloud over the bike as it's a known issue.

Sure, not all the CB's will be afflicted so don't take it personal man. I want everybody to have a perfectly functioning bike that also has a great reputation around the world.

My opinion, this can effect the value of the bike which should be concerning for every CB owner.
We need to know, asap, how many CB's are sold worldwide and how many of those got affected.

Anybody has contacts in Japan at the Honda factory over there? :)

The VFR line got the drive shaft recalled.
Goldwings got recalled for their airbags recently.
BMW recently got their GS LC recalled for a major safety issue.
Ducati regulary recalls their bikes for the smallest things.
Etc.

Surely, a company that stands behind its products such as Honda would have seen the worldwide alerts concerning this issue?

When I brought inmy bike the dealer folowed the official way, so Honda knows.
Seeing on fb and a German, a French and a UK board of ppl having the same issue, I hope they also alerted there dealers.
If its that massive as I lerceived, Honda knows.

But since nothing is known and heard and Honda hasn't organized a recall, I can only assume my perception was wrong to think this is widely spread.

I dunno, maybe the sum of all those ppl on those boards are still minor for Honda to see.
Also, how many actually went official by going pass their dealers?

Besides this thread, I haven't seen any new issues on the Asian FB groups, wich had the most stalling cases (EX models like my European EX)


I hope I'm wrong and its as widespread as the activity on this board perceives it to be so that Honda must deal with it and fixes all those bikes.
But as of now, I guess: to be continued...
Sandhog_imp said:
The high-idle problem with my 2013 ABS bike was resolved when the EOT Sensor was replaced. On my bike once the high-idle problem started it didn't stop, it was never intermittent, the engine ran at 1500 hot or cold. The Honda dealership that did the service (bike is under warranty) had seen and corrected the problem with at least one other CB1100. I'm not suggesting anyone go replace their EOT sensor, there seems to be more than one kind of high-idle problem.

Unfortunately the bike still has the occasional low-idle. None of the dealerships I've brought the bike to have been able to make progress with the low-idle issue mainly because they haven't been able replicate the issue, I really need to get back down to the dealership and show them how it's done.
if its like here on mine, why not show that to the dealers?


The ferret_imp said:
I dont know that "everyone" is going to have the problem. But it is surely a possibility that some will have it .... and I hope I never have it. Unfortunately we don't know the true scope of the problem, what causes it, what cures it, how many are affected.

I think it similar to BMW final drive failures in that some fail, but the vast majority of Beemers run just fine. I've read 5% failure, which means 95% NOT failing. The question is, if you buy one, are you unlucky enough to get one of those that fail? Same with the CB.

RIko if you knew the problems that my son has had with a Ducati Monster he bought brand new, or the problems my Doctor had with a Multistrada he bought brand new ( he's riding a KTM now) you would most likely not have bought the Multi and might have missed out on a possibly great bike.

ALL motorcycle brands have warranties and all have service departments for a reason.
is that the big guy of wich you recently posted some pics on your facebook? :)

I thought you parted from of your CB?...
if its like here on mine, why not show that to the dealers?


I have videos documenting issues I have had with my bike and have shown them to the dealers, the service departments I've worked with want to see the problem in real-time, Honda isn't paying on anything unless an issue is verified by the service department.
 
Riko_imp said:
MM300_imp said:
Riko_imp said:
MM300_imp said:
Probably Speaking too soon here but I'm gonna post it anyway.

I decided to try the throttle twisting reset this afternoon.

Key on, gauges cycle, then kill switch on, wait for under tank sounds to cease, three slow throttle twists from zero to full. Kill switch to off position, key to off position.

Key on, gauges, kill switch, sounds done, start.

I then warm the bike up until the idle settles to normal and go for a ten mile around town stop and go ride in today's 90F heat. Much farther and longer that it takes to reach full operating temperature. At each stop the idle settled right down to spec.

So there's at least something to this throttle reset.

Do I think my bike is cured/fixed? No.

Do I think the high idle will return? Likely

I'm going to continue to ride it. I still love the bike even if I've lost some confidence in it. I'll post back in this thread if and when the idle goes wacky again whether its tomorrow or next year.

I believe that this is going to be an issue for every CB owner until Honda figures it out and provides us with a real fix.
:dodgy:

What a statement, based on what? Your believe...?
Bold, especially since we (incl. Honda) simply don't know cuss.

We don't know if its market specific (US/Europe/Asia)
.....if its model specific (EX/DLX/Std/new model)
.....if it are certain batches
.....if its only certain build years
......what/if its triggered by something

Etc..

So we don't even know the root cause.
Let alone do we know how to fix the issue.
What issue? Because ever since my last post I've been lurking nere and reading all kinds of things, a mix of 'issues'.
Only high idle
Only low idle
High + low idle
Low idle + stalling
High + low idle + stalling

The most important question to me other than whats the cause + solution is, how many of the total amount of CB1100's sold are affected with real low idle/stalling problems.

Again, we know nothing and every so called cause and solution here is pure speculation.
The fact the dealer replaced my whole throttle body says a lot, they simply don't know diddly-squat.

So, making a statement like that is very far fetched tbh.
I'd rather believe that the majority of CB owners won't and never will have this issue than stating the above.
:dodgy:

What a statement, based on what? Your believe...?
Bold, especially since we (incl. Honda) simply don't know cuss.
So it shouldn't be concerning to all CB owners that Honda has put out a bike, some of which have an issue that they themselves cannot explain and the 'fix' costs $2500.00 to $3000.00?

My well maintained bike has been on the road for over three years and all of a sudden this happens?

I think you answered your own question.

You got yours fixed under warranty right?

Are you sure that the new parts that were installed won't go the same way your originals did? I hope they'll be fine for you, but I'm skeptical. And since Honda cannot, or will not, supply us with an actual cause and a solid real solution it puts a bit of a cloud over the bike as it's a known issue.

Sure, not all the CB's will be afflicted so don't take it personal man. I want everybody to have a perfectly functioning bike that also has a great reputation around the world.

My opinion, this can effect the value of the bike which should be concerning for every CB owner.
:dodgy:

What a statement, based on what? Your believe...?
Bold, especially since we (incl. Honda) simply don't know cuss.
So it shouldn't be concerning to all CB owners that Honda has put out a bike, some of which have an issue that they themselves cannot explain and the 'fix' costs $2500.00 to $3000.00?

My well maintained bike has been on the road for over three years and all of a sudden this happens?

I think you answered your own question.

You got yours fixed under warranty right?

Are you sure that the new parts that were installed won't go the same way your originals did? I hope they'll be fine for you, but I'm skeptical. And since Honda cannot, or will not, supply us with an actual cause and a solid real solution it puts a bit of a cloud over the bike as it's a known issue.

Sure, not all the CB's will be afflicted so don't take it personal man. I want everybody to have a perfectly functioning bike that also has a great reputation around the world.

My opinion, this can effect the value of the bike which should be concerning for every CB owner.
We need to know, asap, how many CB's are sold worldwide and how many of those got affected.

Anybody has contacts in Japan at the Honda factory over there? :)

The VFR line got the drive shaft recalled.
Goldwings got recalled for their airbags recently.
BMW recently got their GS LC recalled for a major safety issue.
Ducati regulary recalls their bikes for the smallest things.
Etc.

Surely, a company that stands behind its products such as Honda would have seen the worldwide alerts concerning this issue?

When I brought inmy bike the dealer folowed the official way, so Honda knows.
Seeing on fb and a German, a French and a UK board of ppl having the same issue, I hope they also alerted there dealers.
If its that massive as I lerceived, Honda knows.

But since nothing is known and heard and Honda hasn't organized a recall, I can only assume my perception was wrong to think this is widely spread.

I dunno, maybe the sum of all those ppl on those boards are still minor for Honda to see.
Also, how many actually went official by going pass their dealers?

Besides this thread, I haven't seen any new issues on the Asian FB groups, wich had the most stalling cases (EX models like my European EX)


I hope I'm wrong and its as widespread as the activity on this board perceives it to be so that Honda must deal with it and fixes all those bikes.
But as of now, I guess: to be continued...
Sandhog_imp said:
The high-idle problem with my 2013 ABS bike was resolved when the EOT Sensor was replaced. On my bike once the high-idle problem started it didn't stop, it was never intermittent, the engine ran at 1500 hot or cold. The Honda dealership that did the service (bike is under warranty) had seen and corrected the problem with at least one other CB1100. I'm not suggesting anyone go replace their EOT sensor, there seems to be more than one kind of high-idle problem.

Unfortunately the bike still has the occasional low-idle. None of the dealerships I've brought the bike to have been able to make progress with the low-idle issue mainly because they haven't been able replicate the issue, I really need to get back down to the dealership and show them how it's done.
if its like here on mine, why not show that to the dealers?


The ferret_imp said:
I dont know that "everyone" is going to have the problem. But it is surely a possibility that some will have it .... and I hope I never have it. Unfortunately we don't know the true scope of the problem, what causes it, what cures it, how many are affected.

I think it similar to BMW final drive failures in that some fail, but the vast majority of Beemers run just fine. I've read 5% failure, which means 95% NOT failing. The question is, if you buy one, are you unlucky enough to get one of those that fail? Same with the CB.

RIko if you knew the problems that my son has had with a Ducati Monster he bought brand new, or the problems my Doctor had with a Multistrada he bought brand new ( he's riding a KTM now) you would most likely not have bought the Multi and might have missed out on a possibly great bike.

ALL motorcycle brands have warranties and all have service departments for a reason.
is that the big guy of wich you recently posted some pics on your facebook? :)

I thought you parted from of your CB?...
is that the big guy of which you recently posted some pics on your facebook? :)

I thought you parted from of your CB?...
If this was directed at me

(1) no, I am not of Facebook

and

(2) no, I have not parted with my CB. No plans to in the future either. I love my CB.
 
MOtoGeezer had a CB1100 page and sold his CB. he got a Beemer 1200RT now.
 
The ferret_imp said:
MOtoGeezer had a CB1100 page and sold his CB. he got a Beemer 1200RT now.

After the cb1100 he had a Yamaha new triple 900, then a Aprilla , Now the beemer. I like it he does all my testing Lol. He also has a Honda sliver wing scooter. A true motorcycle enthusiast!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
He's still got the Aprilla. Well, he did a couple of days ago!
 
I am bringing the '14 CB DLX to the dealer Tuesday... hopefully with the ideas gathered here which i will bring up... the idle/stalling issue will be fixed.. It is a safety issue when you run at 80 mph, change lanes and while in the process the engine dies............. or stalls.... in the mean time here comes a truck behind ya going 70 mph and you're trying to get the bike started.... I just want the bike to run as it should... My confidence is not lost on the machine.... but we all have our limits......... thankfully still have my '13 CB in the garage as my navy son still has not picked it up LOL
 
Rustyski, as noted, this is a new problem. Please let us know what happens with the dealer.
 
I will add my '14 standard to the list of high idle at 1500. Bike has 9k miles. Have not had the valves inspected / adjusted yet at 8k. After a 1.5 hour ride via mostly country roads at 40-60mph, few stops, warm day, I stopped for gas. Filled tank, started bike and tach immediately showed 1500rpm and wouldn't come down. Rode two miles home and I could feel that the idle was higher through shifting. Got home, stopped bike, started again, still 1500. Started bike an hour later and it settled in right at 1000. Can't test again for a couple of weeks due to travel, but will catch up on this thread in the meantime.
 
I wonder if there is some sort of planned obsolescence issue going on. As if something in the IACV is not designed to go beyond X miles.

My bike started this behavior around 7K mileage. Anyone else?
 
johnf514_imp said:
I wonder if there is some sort of planned obsolescence issue going on. As if something in the IACV is not designed to go beyond X miles.

My bike started this behavior around 7K mileage. Anyone else?
John, I first experienced the low-idle problem at 8k.
 
I wonder if people with aftermarket EFI tuning kits do/will/would have the same issue? My carbed bikes were often unhappy idle wise. MotoGP bikes idle at 3000, but that's a different can of fish, of course. :-)
 
So what do we have here? Is there a defect in the CB1100 or not? I'm getting a bit concerned over all of this. Do we have a list of VIN #s affected? I am referring to the 2014 model year bikes.
 
Fact is DaSwami, we don't know. Maybe Honda does, but they ain't sayin. No one has found a common fault or even a fault.

Granted there have been a few failures of parts, but thats to be expected on any machine. But nothing we can say "oh you have a high idle, well its this." So what is it? Bad IACV? Oil temp sensor? The whole throttle body assm? ECM failure or software? Wish we knew.
 
Indeed, nobody know anything is the main conclusion I made after 36 pages.
Parts, km, conditions, ride style, who knows.

Bought my EX in december '15 with 2000km.
4 months and 7.400km later, a stalling bike.

In June last year got the whole throttle body replaced.
Now 13 months and 21.000km later, she still rides without any issues.

Who knows.
 
Question regarding bikes running high idle at around 1500rpm: does that mean the bike is constantly running 500rpm higher as one proceeds through the gears, or just at idle when in neutral?

For example, I think in 6th gear at 70mph I was running 3200rpm before my high idle issue started. Should I expect to see rpm at 3700 while going 70 in 6th gear now?

I'm travelling now and can't back to riding for anther couple weeks, so I'll test that out, but I'm wondering in the meanwhile. Also, if this becomes the new norm for me, what long-term issues might arise if nothing is done? Worse gas mileage maybe right away, but other implications?
 
lol, we're only having idle issues, too low or too high, all in idle

when engaged in gear, the rpms match the engine, there can be no issue

as long as the bike is in gear its all good.
Idle is the issue, or even between shifts (when pulling the clutch, because than you idle) is where the issue is
 
My bike had the notorious fast idle for a week or 2 last November. Idled around 1700 but only in neutral; when dropped into 1st it noticeably rose a few hundred more rpm's. It started acting funny after a month of non-use and the battery barely cranked the bike and took repeated attempts to start. Then it did the fast idle routine. My personal "fix" was to disconnect battery and charge overnight, did the throttle roll-on procedure, then rode the bike really hard for a few minutes.
Hasn't acted funny since that week. Bike had 17,000 miles and now has 22,000. Orig battery and it's a 2013 btw. Bike still runs purfect (knock on wood).
 
THIS HAS PROBABLY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE IDLE PROBLEM AS I HAVE NOT HAD THIS SO FAR BUT I REPLACE MY BATTERIES EVERY 3 YEARS (WITH OEM ) AND ALWAYS USE SHELL /BP 93 OCTANE GAS
 
Back
Top