CB1100 as "Nakit" Sport Tourer

Frulk_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I bought the CB1100 with the intent to use it primarily to carry me and my gear to favorite fly-fishing destinations in south western Wyoming for extended weekends. The closest fishing areas are approximately 120-170 miles and the furthest about 370 miles one way. For that purpose it's replacing a 2009 KLR (Kawasaki Long Range :D) 650. A bike that performed this task in admirable fashion with little maint. requirements but had some weaknesses in that role as most of my time traveling is on well maintained and paved secondary back roads (with at times prolonged and steep ascents). The KLR is subject to a lot of buffeting from crosswinds as it's profile and fairing provide a lot of surface for resistance. As you'd expect from a carbed one-lunger 650 it struggles if you want to pass at speeds above 65 mph (exasperated at altitudes above 6,000 feet). So the KLR went to a good friend who owned one previously and is willing to tolerate those perceived shortcomings.

Rboe saw my thread on another website asking about the CB1100 and he replied along with a link to ADV on the Belgian couple that's riding their 2014 DLX's from California to Argentina. After seeing their adventures on south American roads (dirt/gravel/washboards/river-crossings etc.) I was sold.

Link to the thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthrea...856&page=2

The CB will not be used in an aggressive ADV role but will be run at upper legal speeds :blush: to get me to where I want to fish and then knock out the last 2-5 miles of fairly well maintained gravel roads.

I've ridden the bike standing on the foot pegs across some rudded stuff and it does just fine at low speeds paying attention to the angles of approach while remembering the whole time that the exhaust runs under the motor.

The pic below shows all the gear/food I normally hauled on the KLR (minus raingear which is strapped on the top-bag for easy access). That's enough to keep me provisioned and dry for 4 days and 3 nights in the backcountry.



The second pic shows everything on the bike(minus rain gear) with the tank bag still fairly empty.



The third pic are the bags loaded and off the bike. Once I have the Honda OEM rear rack installed The Watershed bag to the far left is an option if needed for extended trips. It will then carry all of the food, fuel/stove and cooking gear that's in the panniers (freeing them up for additional MSR fuel bottles or whatever). I also usually wear a small backpack with a water bladder and room for smaller items



Is it the "ideal" sport tourer? Probably not, but for what I'm using it for it should be able to meet my needs. Next up is a Dart Fly Screen. I'm 6 foot, 240 pounds :s and on the Guzzi the screen size seems more than adequate to reduce the chest pressure from winds above 75 mph.
 
Wow I just can't imagine walking out my door in the morning and looking at that mountain.

Anyhow, I would think the CB would be fine for what you want it to do. GCarper rides his on some real fire roads down south and seems to have no issues and I think CB4ME has an extended dirt ride to get out to the main road. ..and like you said our new forum members from Belgium traveling the world, are proving how capable the CB 1100 is.

Looking forward to your CB parked in a remote spot with a lake and your tent in the background and a stringer of fish hanging off the handlebars.
 
I've been planning to load my bike for a flyfishing trip, myself. Not to anyplace as renowned for such activity as is Wyoming, but a weekend to the small water in southwest Wisconsin would be ideal. Great roads and pretty little streams carve their way through the landscape there.

I have my bike set up to travel similarly to yours, although I have not yet found the need for the rear rack or side bags. Fully loaded with a tank bag on the front and a large duffle and dry bag on the rear, it does take a certain amount of gymnastic ability to get on. LOL. Can't say enough about how capable this bike is as an "ST"...just with slightly more emphasis on the S than the T. Photos of you on the stream with CB1100 in background are requested.
 
Years and years ago I met a Swiss gal in Duluth. Got talking to her and asked her what was her favorite state that she had visited so far: North Dakota. Because it's flat. No dang mountains to get in the way, no switch backs, no passes - mountains were a huge PITA to her.

There are times when I see her point. :)

So Frulk, any long rides yet? I'm a bit curious about your thoughts on the stock seat.
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
Years and years ago I met a Swiss gal in Duluth. Got talking to her and asked her what was her favorite state that she had visited so far: North Dakota. Because it's flat. No dang mountains to get in the way, no switch backs, no passes - mountains were a huge PITA to her.

There are times when I see her point. :)

So Frulk, any long rides yet? I'm a bit curious about your thoughts on the stock seat.
No long rides yet. Knocked out a couple of 70 milers or so and the stock seat is fine for me. The seating position is very neutral and I'm able to adjust forward/backward more than enough to keep things from getting uncomfortable. I do have the brown leather café seat coming that was advertised by a member but that's because I'm a sucker for that style seat (not because I'm unhappy with the OEM version). The café is just to switch up for the occasional in-town ride when I'm not on the V7R.

First real multi day ride on the Honda will be late May after I come back from a 10 day kayak/canoe trip down the Green River into Canyonlands Nat Park. Plan to take CB into SW'n Wyoming over Monte Cristo pass into Randolph Wy, past Fossil Butte, down the Farson Cut-Off to South Pass (Oregon trail runs through there...in parts you're actually on it ) then on to Lander, Dubois, over Togwotee Pass and skirting Yellowstone and heading south past the Grand Tetons and Nat Elk refuge into Jackson. Will eventually roll past Bear Lake and back over Monte Cristo and home. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 760 miles +/-. Sounds as spectacular as it is. Basically a counter-clockwise circumnavigation of the Wind Rivers Wilderess/Mountains. I'll do a detailed trip report with pics afterwards.
 
I came very close to pulling the trigger on that seat!

Riverton to Rawlings; oiy, not endearing country. Buffalo to Worland - superb! Grand Teton area, oh my, very pretty country. Wyoming is such a contrast in geology.
 
That's awesome! It's like the Orvis edition CB1100. :D

I just took up fishing a couple of years ago and now, often instead of riding, I spend a chunk of my free time swinging flies for steelhead. I have access to a number of great steelhead rivers within a short distance of home and most of the time I team up with a buddy of mine, floating the rivers in smaller pontoon boats and shuttling ourselves at the beginning and end of the day. I have considered combining the two pursuits and I suppose it would make sense if the day wasn't going to involve floating (my fishing buddy rides as well so that would be cool). However, If I were going to try and combine the fishing and the riding I'd have a hard time imagining getting my gear down to the extremely manageable chunk that you have. To begin with, at 13+ feet, spey rods don't exactly pack down all that well, although strapping them upright to a backpack can work (I've seen a few guys doing this).

However, for the sake of efficiency, I typically drive to the river and back wearing my waders (it's safe to say that my truck no longer sports that "new car smell") and that's just not going to happen on the bike. I don't think that the world is ready for "riding waders". :biker:
 
Frulk_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
Years and years ago I met a Swiss gal in Duluth. Got talking to her and asked her what was her favorite state that she had visited so far: North Dakota. Because it's flat. No dang mountains to get in the way, no switch backs, no passes - mountains were a huge PITA to her.

There are times when I see her point. :)

So Frulk, any long rides yet? I'm a bit curious about your thoughts on the stock seat.
No long rides yet. Knocked out a couple of 70 milers or so and the stock seat is fine for me. The seating position is very neutral and I'm able to adjust forward/backward more than enough to keep things from getting uncomfortable. I do have the brown leather café seat coming that was advertised by a member but that's because I'm a sucker for that style seat (not because I'm unhappy with the OEM version). The café is just to switch up for the occasional in-town ride when I'm not on the V7R.

First real multi day ride on the Honda will be late May after I come back from a 10 day kayak/canoe trip down the Green River into Canyonlands Nat Park. Plan to take CB into SW'n Wyoming over Monte Cristo pass into Randolph Wy, past Fossil Butte, down the Farson Cut-Off to South Pass (Oregon trail runs through there...in parts you're actually on it ) then on to Lander, Dubois, over Togwotee Pass and skirting Yellowstone and heading south past the Grand Tetons and Nat Elk refuge into Jackson. Will eventually roll past Bear Lake and back over Monte Cristo and home. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 760 miles +/-. Sounds as spectacular as it is. Basically a counter-clockwise circumnavigation of the Wind Rivers Wilderess/Mountains. I'll do a detailed trip report with pics afterwards.
Those places sound familiar! I've done a similar route on the CB750 several times (but I usually keep going up to Northern MT and ID). I haven't had the time for a mega road trip since I got the CB11.

Here's my setup on the CB750 for a 2 week trip.

afdf76df3fef63748289b906823a25e0.jpg
 
Frulk_imp said:
I bought the CB1100 with the intent to use it primarily to carry me and my gear to favorite fly-fishing destinations in south western Wyoming for extended weekends. The closest fishing areas are approximately 120-170 miles and the furthest about 370 miles one way. For that purpose it's replacing a 2009 KLR (Kawasaki Long Range :D) 650. A bike that performed this task in admirable fashion with little maint. requirements but had some weaknesses in that role as most of my time traveling is on well maintained and paved secondary back roads (with at times prolonged and steep ascents). The KLR is subject to a lot of buffeting from crosswinds as it's profile and fairing provide a lot of surface for resistance. As you'd expect from a carbed one-lunger 650 it struggles if you want to pass at speeds above 65 mph (exasperated at altitudes above 6,000 feet). So the KLR went to a good friend who owned one previously and is willing to tolerate those perceived shortcomings.

Rboe saw my thread on another website asking about the CB1100 and he replied along with a link to ADV on the Belgian couple that's riding their 2014 DLX's from California to Argentina. After seeing their adventures on south American roads (dirt/gravel/washboards/river-crossings etc.) I was sold.

Link to the thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthrea...856&page=2

The CB will not be used in an aggressive ADV role but will be run at upper legal speeds :blush: to get me to where I want to fish and then knock out the last 2-5 miles of fairly well maintained gravel roads.

I've ridden the bike standing on the foot pegs across some rudded stuff and it does just fine at low speeds paying attention to the angles of approach while remembering the whole time that the exhaust runs under the motor.

The pic below shows all the gear/food I normally hauled on the KLR (minus raingear which is strapped on the top-bag for easy access). That's enough to keep me provisioned and dry for 4 days and 3 nights in the backcountry.



The second pic shows everything on the bike(minus rain gear) with the tank bag still fairly empty.



The third pic are the bags loaded and off the bike. Once I have the Honda OEM rear rack installed The Watershed bag to the far left is an option if needed for extended trips. It will then carry all of the food, fuel/stove and cooking gear that's in the panniers (freeing them up for additional MSR fuel bottles or whatever). I also usually wear a small backpack with a water bladder and room for smaller items



Is it the "ideal" sport tourer? Probably not, but for what I'm using it for it should be able to meet my needs. Next up is a Dart Fly Screen. I'm 6 foot, 240 pounds :s and on the Guzzi the screen size seems more than adequate to reduce the chest pressure from winds above 75 mph.
what motorcycle dolly is that?
it looks like the harbor freight one that i bought , assembled and instantly returned.
 
Coming from a backpacker back ground, I can appreciate your lightweight and smaller gear......do you stay the night in camp grounds or wilderness? Actually, back in the late 80's I used to take my 900 Ninja all over the mountains and "car" camping, that may have been what got me started backpacking, I still found I could carry more on my motorcycle than on my back which I limit to <35 lbs....
 
Thread starter
[/QUOTE]what motorcycle dolly is that? it looks like the harbor freight one that i bought , assembled and instantly returned.[/QUOTE] It's the Harbor Freight model. I almost always buy American when I can, especially hand tools, but this was a good deal for what I use it for. It's low tech and fairly sturdy. I basically only use it for winter storage for the V7R. A bike that weighs around 400 pounds +/- a few pounds. It sits in my heated workbench/reloading area and is handy to push the bike around in that somewhat limited space during the winter. Rest of the year it's basically used like a Locomotive wheel house in my third bay. Rather than doing a 4 point turn to reverse the bike in the garage I drive right on top of it, put the kickstand down and spin it 180 degrees and the bike faces the driveway and is ready to go again. Works fine for that application
HikerToo_imp said:
Coming from a backpacker back ground, I can appreciate your lightweight and smaller gear......do you stay the night in camp grounds or wilderness? Actually, back in the late 80's I used to take my 900 Ninja all over the mountains and "car" camping, that may have been what got me started backpacking, I still found I could carry more on my motorcycle than on my back which I limit to <35 lbs....
It's a mix. I have the gear and whenever possible I try to remote camp when I'm on the bike. I prefer a small fire and the company of a couple of good friends on the more or less unbeaten path. I'm fortunate to live where I do because many times I'll be the only person in roadside campgrounds owned by the state. but I'm not above staying in a hotel if the weather is really crappy.
JF Coastal_imp said:
Why on earth did you post this thread and link below ??!! I'm now currently debating quitting my job and traveling the world on my CB1100. Dam you Frulk !!

Link to the thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthrea...856&page=2

haha. just joking, kinda. Nice setup you have there, can't wait to see more pictures from your journeys.

That ADV thread convinced me that the CB1100 is exactly what I was looking for. In all the miles they've covered with those hard side and top cases loaded down to the max on those 3rd world roads the only thing I'm aware of that was an issue was a front fork seal. THAT'S a testament to the bikes durability considering it probably isn't the ideal tool for the job they're applying it to.
 
what motorcycle dolly is that? it looks like the harbor freight one that i bought , assembled and instantly returned.[/QUOTE] It's the Harbor Freight model. I almost always buy American when I can, especially hand tools, but this was a good deal for what I use it for. It's low tech and fairly sturdy. I basically only use it for winter storage for the V7R. A bike that weighs around 400 pounds +/- a few pounds. It sits in my heated workbench/reloading area and is handy to push the bike around in that somewhat limited space during the winter. Rest of the year it's basically used like a Locomotive wheel house in my third bay. Rather than doing a 4 point turn to reverse the bike in the garage I drive right on top of it, put the kickstand down and spin it 180 degrees and the bike faces the driveway and is ready to go again. Works fine for that application
HikerToo_imp said:
Coming from a backpacker back ground, I can appreciate your lightweight and smaller gear......do you stay the night in camp grounds or wilderness? Actually, back in the late 80's I used to take my 900 Ninja all over the mountains and "car" camping, that may have been what got me started backpacking, I still found I could carry more on my motorcycle than on my back which I limit to <35 lbs....
It's a mix. I have the gear and whenever possible I try to remote camp when I'm on the bike. I prefer a small fire and the company of a couple of good friends on the more or less unbeaten path. I'm fortunate to live where I do because many times I'll be the only person in roadside campgrounds owned by the state. but I'm not above staying in a hotel if the weather is really crappy.
JF Coastal_imp said:
Why on earth did you post this thread and link below ??!! I'm now currently debating quitting my job and traveling the world on my CB1100. Dam you Frulk !!

Link to the thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthrea...856&page=2

haha. just joking, kinda. Nice setup you have there, can't wait to see more pictures from your journeys.

That ADV thread convinced me that the CB1100 is exactly what I was looking for. In all the miles they've covered with those hard side and top cases loaded down to the max on those 3rd world roads the only thing I'm aware of that was an issue was a front fork seal. THAT'S a testament to the bikes durability considering it probably isn't the ideal tool for the job they're applying it to.
[/QUOTE] maybe i just got a bum one. with the bike on it , it was darn near impossible to move.
 
Back
Top