CB1100 as first bike?

PowderToastMan_imp said:
Aussie_imp said:
No one here is going to tell you not to buy it. Fact is, the bike is big and it is heavy. As an inexperienced rider you are going to drop it at some point; you'll grab a handful at slow speed turning and over she will go. It will cost $ to fix, you will wonder why you didn't buy a cheaper second hand bike to learn on.

I've only been riding for about 6 years and I'm 37.

First bike was a 1999 Honda CBR250RR. First day dropped it doing a slow turn. Then I crashed it in the hills, broke a couple levers off and road rashed the fairing. Then I dropped it again when I didn't put the stand down properly.

Second bike was a 2009 Honda CB400 (great bike and would be a perfect medium sized bike to learn on but not available in the US). Dropped it on it's side at very slow speed practicing to get my full licence, no damage to bike but strained my hamstring 'laying it down' and limped for 4 weeks, and that bike is only 190kg or do fully fueled.

Third bike was a 2005 Honda VFR800. Hated it. Too top heavy and I'm a little to short to confidently flat foot. Dropped it after doing a night shift when I was backing it out of the car park. Yeah I was dead tired but the bike is heavy and I'm only 150 pounds or so. Nice damage to fairing, levers etc. Then I dropped it in my garage after lazily taking it off the sides stand to check the oil and it toppled over, more damage, more $.

Well, I've now got the CB1100 and after a year I haven't dropped it. It's got a low centre of gravity and low seat height and It's light once you get underway, but you need some experience because it is still heavy and if it goes you will unlikely stop it unless you can squat 250 kg on one leg, trust me you will rip a muscle unless you either stop it in time or are a big bloke. It's not overly powerful so that's not really the issue, just the weight.

That is my experience. I'm not a hoon and I'm not a risk taker but it has taken me a few years and a few drops/crashes to learn. It has cost me a more than a few $ along the way as well. Once you damage a new bike the value plummets unless you fix it, and that can cost big $. Better to drop a second hand bike a few times and learn on that, and something under 200kg would be a good place to start.

In Australia as a learner rider they wouldn't even let you on a bike with a power to weight ratio over 150 k/wt per tonne, and most states won't let you ride a bike over 660cc, and even then they have to fall under the 150 k/wt per tonne, so no sports bikes. That is until you get a full licence and pass the testing which can take a while, even for 'mature' riders. Most people start out on 250cc bikes, although there are now bigger, lower powered bikes to choose from as well.

One of the bigger issues for road safety over here is riders who return after many years off a bike, sometimes 20-30 years, who have a full bike licence from years ago, and who go and buy a full powered bike because they can, and then have accidents because they can't handle the power. Now, this would not be an issue on the CB1100 because it really isn't that powerful; it's got good torque and is very linear, so it's learner friendly and if you were going to go over 1000cc and 250kg on your first bike I guess this would be the one to buy!

My 2c only :) Stay safe!

Just some food for thought.
I find it really sad that they don't sell that bike here. I think it's really a pretty cool bike, and definitely large enough to ride anywhere in the US.

I guess the fact is that they don't think it would sell well enough here or something. I was thinking about one of the 500 twins before buying the 1100, but I would prefer the 400 Super Four over the 500 twin any day.
Agreed. It's a shame that Honda has had this bike in production for 20 yrs. and has never seen fit to send them to North America. I think they would make the perfect starter bike. Relatively small and light, but with enough power to maintain freeway speeds easily. I'm no beginner, but I'd definitely buy one. A small bike with a decent power to weight ratio can be more fun to ride than a 100+ hp sport bike.

Send it over, Honda!
74e9391ab23c9fc7ad33a9cb7633dcaa.jpg
 
Aussie_imp said:
No one here is going to tell you not to buy it. Fact is, the bike is big and it is heavy. As an inexperienced rider you are going to drop it at some point; you'll grab a handful at slow speed turning and over she will go. It will cost $ to fix, you will wonder why you didn't buy a cheaper second hand bike to learn on.

I've only been riding for about 6 years and I'm 37.

First bike was a 1999 Honda CBR250RR. First day dropped it doing a slow turn. Then I crashed it in the hills, broke a couple levers off and road rashed the fairing. Then I dropped it again when I didn't put the stand down properly.

Second bike was a 2009 Honda CB400 (great bike and would be a perfect medium sized bike to learn on but not available in the US). Dropped it on it's side at very slow speed practicing to get my full licence, no damage to bike but strained my hamstring 'laying it down' and limped for 4 weeks, and that bike is only 190kg or do fully fueled.

Third bike was a 2005 Honda VFR800. Hated it. Too top heavy and I'm a little to short to confidently flat foot. Dropped it after doing a night shift when I was backing it out of the car park. Yeah I was dead tired but the bike is heavy and I'm only 150 pounds or so. Nice damage to fairing, levers etc. Then I dropped it in my garage after lazily taking it off the sides stand to check the oil and it toppled over, more damage, more $.

Well, I've now got the CB1100 and after a year I haven't dropped it. It's got a low centre of gravity and low seat height and It's light once you get underway, but you need some experience because it is still heavy and if it goes you will unlikely stop it unless you can squat 250 kg on one leg, trust me you will rip a muscle unless you either stop it in time or are a big bloke. It's not overly powerful so that's not really the issue, just the weight.

That is my experience. I'm not a hoon and I'm not a risk taker but it has taken me a few years and a few drops/crashes to learn. It has cost me a more than a few $ along the way as well. Once you damage a new bike the value plummets unless you fix it, and that can cost big $. Better to drop a second hand bike a few times and learn on that, and something under 200kg would be a good place to start.

In Australia as a learner rider they wouldn't even let you on a bike with a power to weight ratio over 150 k/wt per tonne, and most states won't let you ride a bike over 660cc, and even then they have to fall under the 150 k/wt per tonne, so no sports bikes. That is until you get a full licence and pass the testing which can take a while, even for 'mature' riders. Most people start out on 250cc bikes, although there are now bigger, lower powered bikes to choose from as well.

One of the bigger issues for road safety over here is riders who return after many years off a bike, sometimes 20-30 years, who have a full bike licence from years ago, and who go and buy a full powered bike because they can, and then have accidents because they can't handle the power. Now, this would not be an issue on the CB1100 because it really isn't that powerful; it's got good torque and is very linear, so it's learner friendly and if you were going to go over 1000cc and 250kg on your first bike I guess this would be the one to buy!

My 2c only :) Stay safe!

Just some food for thought.
I appreciate your post Aussie and I actually considered this line of reasoning as well. I suppose that I was projecting my own experiences into the mix — the only time I've ever dumped a bike was when I was a kid riding in the dirt doing jumps or something of the sort. If Third Quarter had no previous riding experience, I would have responded just as you have. I gave him the benefit of the doubt due to the fact that he's already learned how to ride in the past. (When I took the MSF course, even though it had been decades since I was last on a motorcycle, it felt like it had only been a few days.) But your words of experience are certainly worth considering.

Third Quarter, regardless of whether you choose the CB1100 or different bike, I feel (as others have mentioned) the MSF course is definitely a good investment of time and money
Speaking of CB400's that didn't make it to the States, this particular model isn't too shabby looking either.
 
I think the CB1100 is very managable at low speeds and under less than ideal riding surfaces.

I live down a hill in the woods with a long pot-holed driveway and have to negotiate tight turns on fairly steep dirt surfaces. The CB1100 handles it better than the last 4 bikes I've owned - 3 sports bikes and a Bonneville. It does great in gravel, in low speed parking lot maneuvers, etc.

Ride carefully and you should be fine.
 
I too find the CB easy to maneuver at low speeds. I'm 5' 6" and like the CB for it's low seat and low center of gravity. Though not a light weight, the CB feels light and with it's tight wheel base, handles low speed turns as easily as a bicycle. I think the various cruiser bikes the worst for beginners. Their longer wheel bases make low speed steering uneasy for newbies who often start with a cruiser because the very low seat height makes for a secure feeling when "seat testing" in the dealer's showroom.

Hard to beat a dirt bike for the first time rider. You learn a lot about two wheeled riding dynamics, all the while taking your spills on the dirt instead of the unforgiving pavement.
 
CB4ME_imp said:

This was my line of thinking as well. To me the CB1100 is extremely easy to ride smoothly, which is a huge benefit as a returning rider. My biggest concern, as I stated in my original post would be the weight of the CB1100 which comes into play when coming to a stop on uneven surfaces making footing more difficult. The taller/stronger you are, the less of an issue this becomes. I'm 5'8" and not exactly athletic, so that type of thing is at the top of mind for me.

I think that if Third Quarter were to take the MSF course, he would figure out pretty quickly just how comfortable he feels as a returning rider. Then he would have a better idea how he might feel about the CB1100. For me, the big thing to overcome wasn't riding a motorcycle again for the first time in over 25 years, but instead getting used to riding in traffic for the first time ever (which I will never become 100% totally comfortable with).
 
I "retired" from riding on a '78 Suzuki GS550, which was a light bike at the time. 11 years later I resumed riding again on a '96 Nighthawk 750, which had more power and was heavier. I'll skip the other bikes I've owned since, but IMO a CB1100 should work for you since you have ridden on the street before. The power is very manageable (it's not a sportbike) and I think the CB feels light compared to my '08 Concours 14. I say go for it.
 
CB4ME_imp said:

I'll admit, the larger rotating mass of the CB1100 likely helps with this. I went to a Harley demo day a couple years back and was surprised how ridiculously easy it was to move around a Sportster 1200 at low speeds. That huge flywheel doesn't even require any throttle, where my GS500 would cack and die.
 
You know, one thing I noticed on my first time on the CB1100 was how low first gear is. If I'm just easing off from a stop, I just ease the clutch out without any throttle and off we go and I'm not in first gear for long. Especially when its still in warm-up/high idle. As to how I remember my other bikes from back in the day, I always had to gasser as I pulled off. But then again I'm out of those days of hot dogging it! :biker:
 
Honestly I love the CB 1100, but as a first bike it will depend on you self control, physical strength and etc, but I would not recommend it. Start with a used 250, or a 500. When you have a couple thousand miles and dropped the bike and other dumb stuff to learn, the you will be ready. While no super bike, the 1100 is no slouch, too much for a true beginner.

And as far as being top heavy, not compared to by BMW K75RT!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I rode for a few years in my late teens early 20's then took about 25 years off. Other than the Honda Rebel 250's we putted around on in the basic motorcycle class I took last year, that was the extent of my experience before I bought my CB1100. Other than the drop dead beautiful styling I think the CB1100 has, I like it because it can be docile when you want it to be and will get up and move when you need it. It handles smoothly at slow speeds and handles beautifully at higher speeds. I have not yet tapped in to probably half the power the bike has. I ride slowly and carefully - I have 525 miles on the CB1100 under my belt now. Just having fun with it. When manhandling the bike when my feet are on the ground I try to think a few steps ahead and concentrate on the center of gravity of the bike and keep it upright. I'll keep my fingers crossed - it's worked so far!

If you're a grown up and are past those risk taking years, I say go for it and get the bike you know you really want.
 
Ya, top heavy is not something I'd accuse the CB of being. I've been on and owned too many truly top heavy bikes.
 
I'm conservative and careful. Admittedly a lot of this depends on your age, conditioning and particularly your size but I'd start off smaller then the CB1100.

You can pick up a used Honda Rebel for less then two grand and ride it for a couple months and sell it for a couple hundred dollars loss (or maybe even no loss) and get your feet back on the ground. WHY TAKE A CHANCE if there is any question at all?

If you would drop that new CB1100 it's going cost you a ton more money the plan A.

Isn't a question of can you but should you. Honestly it could easily work well either way but if you have ANY concerns start small.

I've been in and out of the bikes a couple times and I've always started back slowly. At 67 the next time out will be the last. Probably soon I'll just keep my Vespa and be happy if I can do that much. Life requires concessions.
 
Not a good idea. Many will say, sure, take it easy and you'll be fine.

The bike is 540 pounds and while 88 HP may not sound like much in these times of 180 HP superbikes, it's a hell of a lot of power for new rider. So is 540 pounds of weight you've got to control with skill, finesse, and lots of planning ahead.

Honda's got a whole slew of excellent bikes for new riders and the CB1100 is not one of them.

Or, you can start your flight training in a P-51 Mustang...and repeat after me: "torque roll..."
 
I'll admit I didn't read though all four pages, so if it's been covered forgive me.

I'd seriously recommend taking the MSF course. It was the BEST $50 I ever spent. Not only will you have a safe place to get your skills back, but you'll make sure they are correct and be able to change them easily if they are not.

Be sure to upgrade your gear, it has come a very, very long ways. Check out SHARP for helmet reviews (they test brain injuries, DOT or EDC doesn't), look into armored gear that stuff will save your bones, heck they even make jeans that won't explode in a crash (Drayko jeans are the only ones I would recommend, they are actually CE rated and do amazing against abrasions. Still need to outfit armor with them though). Expect a good $1500 or more for a good set of gear. If you have an old helmet, it's no good anymore. They have a shelf life, the materials start to break down inside after 5-7 years. And modern ones are much lighter and much, much safer.

As far as the bike goes. Yes if you're responsible you will be able to control it under normal circumstances, however I would explore the realm of a panic. If you hit a bump and your hand slips and the bike launches forward, how much is too much for you to keep control? If you slam on the brakes by accident, can you honestly let go if it locks up (look into ABS, it will save your butt in that happening), can you hold the bike up, can you hold it up if you slip on gravel and loose your footing? Can you lift the bike up if it falls over? Can you do so without hurting yourself? (be honest on that one)

If you can, you'll be ok. If you're iffy about it, maybe you just need time with it, maybe you need a different bike. That one is going to be up to you to decide. But as far as the gear goes... I'd use google images and look up what happens when you don't have proper gear verse having it. Even a 3/4 helmet is a bad idea in my opinion, least when compared to a full helmet. Heck, they even make airbags in gear now. You can walk away if you have full gear, without it, if you live, you might never be able to ride again. All the gear all the time (ATGATT) keeps you riding and keeps you healthy. And modern gear has many options, you can look fully retro and still be as safe as possible. They've come a long, long, long ways. And if you're still not convinced to get full gear, just remember you loose 1mm of skin in abrasion for every mile you are going over 30mph in a crash. I've seen people literally grind off their butt. Just think about that for a minute. To the bone.


Ok, enough stressing that point.

I will admit the first bike I rode was a XL1200 Sportster. Not a good choice, but I'm a big guy, I was able to keep it from falling as I learned. The torque is what pulls it out from under you, the horsepower is what gets your MPH up too high. That would be a good second bike but not a first, but I managed because it was what was available to me (borrowed it, which in all fairness did cause me to be even more careful when riding it). You might be able to ride a gear or two higher to adjust to the torque if you're not used to it, but I'd want to get used to it very quickly. It will get you in trouble very fast.


I guess to sum up, ATGATT, and if you can handle the bike in a panic situation weather it's hitting the gas too hard, the brake too hard, having it slip and fall out from you, then you're ok with it as a choice. If not, maybe get a smaller one to get back into the groove. And the MSF course is a really, really good idea.
 
I would so buy this bike!

Send it over, Honda!
5b4fb11e2dc24fa13464b8a07b5dfaf5.jpg


Did third quarter buy the CB? Where are the pictures?



Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top