CB vs. Triumph Speedmaster vs. BMW Cruiser

Interesting comparison. I bought my new CB1100EX last week planning to sell my Vespa 250GTS and my 2005 Ducati Multistrada. The Vespa is already on Craigslist, but after riding both the new EX and my old Ducati, I just can't sell the Duc. I just did a valve service and that is an enormous pain, and the aging Ducati has had other issues in recent times, so I understand the "more time wrenching than riding" issue with older bikes. I also have a Road King that I bought new 20 years ago with a motor I have hot-rodded to within an inch of its life, and that spends plenty of time on my lift in pieces also. But I just don't think I part with my old Ducati. It lighter than the EX and the full Ohlins suspension is still magic. The CB1100 is torquey, but not like the Duc. With the dry clutch and full Staintune, the Duc is loud where the EX is refined. Plus, an old Ducati is worth chump change on the used market. So the Ducati stays, as does the Harley. They are 3 very different bikes. One of them actually is also reliable.
 
Thread starter
Just finished putting the mid-controls on the Speedmaster this weekend. Wow, what a difference. I liked the vibe of the feet-forward thing, but from a practical standpoint, it takes the bike to a whole new level. I put a couple hundred miles on it over the last couple of days. The mod turns it from a summer around town bike to a real go anywhere machine. It's amazing what a difference 12 inches makes.....
 
tommymck_imp said:
Just finished putting the mid-controls on the Speedmaster this weekend. Wow, what a difference. I liked the vibe of the feet-forward thing, but from a practical standpoint, it takes the bike to a whole new level. I put a couple hundred miles on it over the last couple of days. The mod turns it from a summer around town bike to a real go anywhere machine. It's amazing what a difference 12 inches makes.....
+1000 :)
Having sold my DLX to buy a Speedmaster last February, I can vouch for the mid-controls mod. I've already done several long tours on it and it makes all the difference. Much deeper turns available too because of the better clearance. I still miss the posh elegance of the DLX from time to time, but the Speedy truly hits everything I ever wanted in a bike, including looks AND practicality. Sure, I had more cargo capacity with the DLX, but I'm actually digging the whole "go light, go simple, go now" thing...so I bring far less on trips than I used to and am actually enjoying myself more. Funny how that works, eh? ;)
 
Thread starter
kvdv_imp said:
tommymck_imp said:
Just finished putting the mid-controls on the Speedmaster this weekend. Wow, what a difference. I liked the vibe of the feet-forward thing, but from a practical standpoint, it takes the bike to a whole new level. I put a couple hundred miles on it over the last couple of days. The mod turns it from a summer around town bike to a real go anywhere machine. It's amazing what a difference 12 inches makes.....
+1000 :)
Having sold my DLX to buy a Speedmaster last February, I can vouch for the mid-controls mod. I've already done several long tours on it and it makes all the difference. Much deeper turns available too because of the better clearance. I still miss the posh elegance of the DLX from time to time, but the Speedy truly hits everything I ever wanted in a bike, including looks AND practicality. Sure, I had more cargo capacity with the DLX, but I'm actually digging the whole "go light, go simple, go now" thing...so I bring far less on trips than I used to and am actually enjoying myself more. Funny how that works, eh? ;)
+1000 :)
Having sold my DLX to buy a Speedmaster last February, I can vouch for the mid-controls mod. I've already done several long tours on it and it makes all the difference. Much deeper turns available too because of the better clearance. I still miss the posh elegance of the DLX from time to time, but the Speedy truly hits everything I ever wanted in a bike, including looks AND practicality. Sure, I had more cargo capacity with the DLX, but I'm actually digging the whole "go light, go simple, go now" thing...so I bring far less on trips than I used to and am actually enjoying myself more. Funny how that works, eh? ;) For me, if I had to pick just one, my '17 CB would get the nod for a variety of reasons. But the Triumph is really great. And for geezer's out there (I'm approaching geezer territory, but haven't quite arrived yet) the Speedmaster is as easy a bike to push around as there is. The seat height is very friendly too. And it's the best sounding stock bike I've ever heard....

Actually kvdv, I have you to thank for keeping the bike. I was tempted to trade it in for my R Nine T, but your comments on the mid controls made me hesitate and try it out before letting it go. I'm very happy I did.
 
I bought the Speedmaster 2018 after looking at the CB1100 (for ages).

I was put off by the 250kg weight of the CB1100. So, I bought the Triumph, at 250kg.

I think both have a place in the garage. As does my previous bike, the Guzzi V711. As does my Vespa.

My wife has a contrary view.


Beerman
 
Thread starter
Beerman_imp said:
I bought the Speedmaster 2018 after looking at the CB1100 (for ages).

I was put off by the 250kg weight of the CB1100. So, I bought the Triumph, at 250kg.

I think both have a place in the garage. As does my previous bike, the Guzzi V711. As does my Vespa.

My wife has a contrary view.


Beerman
It's interesting you say that (about weight, not about the wife :) )

Because of the ergonomics and seat height, the Triumph feels much lighter than the CB, even though there isn't much if any difference. This is mainly just when walking the bikes around though. When moving, the CB is nimbler. I don't always need nimble, and the two are a great one-two punch.
 
I think we're in a bit of a golden age now with some very nice choices for bikes to choose from. Sometimes at the dealer, sometimes in the garage.

Back when the Triumph had to originally compete with Honda the choices were more stark. From a performance, practicallity, price point and quality point of view. Today the playing field is a lot more level so we can make choices on purely an emotional level - and not really be wrong.

I see this at Sunday coffee, we seem to spend half our time sitting, drinking joe and BS'ing and half the time "leaving", walking around the parked iron and admiring what the other guys rode in on.
 
Sorry to refloat this post but i’d like to add my opinion.
I was captured when triumph launched the 18 Speedmaster. Some time later i was about to buy one almost new but the seller changed his mind last minute, which turned me into buying my 2015 CB EX, a dream too. No regrets, but still think the speedmaster is another gem.
Now have the EX and a Vstrom 650XT. Betwwen both i cover all my bike desires!
 
I had two bikes for a long time; an older BMW R1100 RT, and a '13 Honda CB1100. I used the Beemer for a touring machine because of it's comfy riding position, hard luggage, windshield and fairing and the general ease of it going down the road. The Honda was my city bike, and I almost never rode it on the freeway, only short bits to get from here to there, less than ten or so miles, but when it came time to decide which bike to bring to Texas, I thought long and hard on it, and chose the Honda. It's more compact, lighter, more nimble, an all around bike, and it went into the POD easier. I worked for several years past 65 and I wasn't doing much touring anymore, either.
 
Back
Top