CB vs. Triumph Speedmaster vs. BMW Cruiser

tommymck

Been there
Thread starter
The comparison doesn’t necessarily make any sense, but since I bought the Speedmaster as a compliment to the CB1100EX, I thought that it might be interesting to some folks….
I’ve had my ’17 CB1100EX for roughly 2 months and 900 miles. Longest trip was 2 hours, so not a ton of long term time in the saddle. Originally, I bought the CB as a compliment to my ’98 BMW R1200C. I’ve had that thing since new, and for better or worse, the BMW has defined what I want in a multi-purpose bike. Comfortable enough for multi-hour rides, big and stable enough for highway riding, nimble enough to be comfortable in tight spaces.

Being over 20 years old (the bike, not me), I was spending more time turning wrenches on the BMW than I was riding it. That’s what motivated me to get the CB1100EX. It just plain works whenever you start it and it's a joy to ride. My initial and continuing impression is that the CB is just fantastic around town and commuting. I did find that it lacked in comparison with the BMW on the highway though. I chalked it up to riding position.

In parallel, I had been coveting the looks and vibe of the ’18 Triumph Speedmaster. Gave it a couple of test rides, and my thinking was that it could be the replacement for the BMW for long term cruising needs and the CB would be the perfect around-town bike. After a few weeks, that concept has turned itself on its head.

First, I have no complaints whatsoever with the Triumph. Around town, with the riding position, it’s just fantastic. The low-end torque is astounding, and the sound of the thing is better than any bike I have ever touched. The bike carries its weight super low and it’s a dream at low speeds. It’s like riding around on an easy chair that looks and sounds super cool.
The CB kills it (in my opinion) on longer rides though. It’s more comfortable on longer rides and is more stable on the highway. Not sure why, but that’s the way I find it anyway. It’s also way more nimble.

So, against all pre-conceived notions, if it’s a local Sunday ride, or a quick trip to the corner store, the Triumph gets the nod. If it’s commuting to work, or an hour ride to meet up with friends, or a trip to explore parts unknown, the CB is the choice.

It’s not entirely accurate to say that the CB is “better” on the highway….but to me at least, it’s more comfortable than the Triumph for anything but short rides. And the handling of the CB just inspires confidence.

And the really interesting part to me is that I recently took the BMW for a 4-hour round trip spin to Western Maryland. I found myself immediately missing the CB1100. It just goes to show that there is more to a bike than initial impressions.

All in all, here is my general take on the three…..
1. CB is a better all-around bike as a one-size-fits all situation.
2. Low speed handling and overall ease of use on short jaunts goes to the Triumph.
3. The BMW sort of splits the difference, but it’s hard for it to really compete against the modern bikes.
4. Of the three, although I love the looks of each, the CB is the one I enjoy “just looking at” the most. It’s pretty close though. That doesn’t stop me from trying to optimize…. Looking forward to a care package from Samurider….

06/13/2018 15:21 Posting/Collection KAMATA TOKYO
144-8799
06/14/2018 02:14 Arrival at outward office of exchange TOKYO INT TOKYO
138-8799
06/14/2018 02:16 Held by export Customs TOKYO INT TOKYO
138-8799
06/15/2018 06:20 Dispatch from outward office of exchange TOKYO INT TOKYO
138-8799
 
tommymck_imp said:
The comparison doesn’t necessarily make any sense, but since I bought the Speedmaster as a compliment to the CB1100EX, I thought that it might be interesting to some folks….
I’ve had my ’17 CB1100EX for roughly 2 months and 900 miles. Longest trip was 2 hours, so not a ton of long term time in the saddle. Originally, I bought the CB as a compliment to my ’98 BMW R1200C. I’ve had that thing since new, and for better or worse, the BMW has defined what I want in a multi-purpose bike. Comfortable enough for multi-hour rides, big and stable enough for highway riding, nimble enough to be comfortable in tight spaces.

Being over 20 years old (the bike, not me), I was spending more time turning wrenches on the BMW than I was riding it. That’s what motivated me to get the CB1100EX. It just plain works whenever you start it and it's a joy to ride. My initial and continuing impression is that the CB is just fantastic around town and commuting. I did find that it lacked in comparison with the BMW on the highway though. I chalked it up to riding position.

In parallel, I had been coveting the looks and vibe of the ’18 Triumph Speedmaster. Gave it a couple of test rides, and my thinking was that it could be the replacement for the BMW for long term cruising needs and the CB would be the perfect around-town bike. After a few weeks, that concept has turned itself on its head.

First, I have no complaints whatsoever with the Triumph. Around town, with the riding position, it’s just fantastic. The low-end torque is astounding, and the sound of the thing is better than any bike I have ever touched. The bike carries its weight super low and it’s a dream at low speeds. It’s like riding around on an easy chair that looks and sounds super cool.
The CB kills it (in my opinion) on longer rides though. It’s more comfortable on longer rides and is more stable on the highway. Not sure why, but that’s the way I find it anyway. It’s also way more nimble.

So, against all pre-conceived notions, if it’s a local Sunday ride, or a quick trip to the corner store, the Triumph gets the nod. If it’s commuting to work, or an hour ride to meet up with friends, or a trip to explore parts unknown, the CB is the choice.

It’s not entirely accurate to say that the CB is “better” on the highway….but to me at least, it’s more comfortable than the Triumph for anything but short rides. And the handling of the CB just inspires confidence.

And the really interesting part to me is that I recently took the BMW for a 4-hour round trip spin to Western Maryland. I found myself immediately missing the CB1100. It just goes to show that there is more to a bike than initial impressions.

All in all, here is my general take on the three…..
1. CB is a better all-around bike as a one-size-fits all situation.
2. Low speed handling and overall ease of use on short jaunts goes to the Triumph.
3. The BMW sort of splits the difference, but it’s hard for it to really compete against the modern bikes.
4. Of the three, although I love the looks of each, the CB is the one I enjoy “just looking at” the most. It’s pretty close though. That doesn’t stop me from trying to optimize…. Looking forward to a care package from Samurider….

06/13/2018 15:21 Posting/Collection KAMATA TOKYO
144-8799
06/14/2018 02:14 Arrival at outward office of exchange TOKYO INT TOKYO
138-8799
06/14/2018 02:16 Held by export Customs TOKYO INT TOKYO
138-8799
06/15/2018 06:20 Dispatch from outward office of exchange TOKYO INT TOKYO
138-8799
Very interesting observations and impressions, so much better than magazine "road tests".
 
Those Speedmasters look and sound awesome. I find myself wanting to buy a cruiser and that would be near the top of the list.
 
Love the looks on the Bobber and Speedmaster, but I fit the T200's better. :(

My practical side says get a NC750X - if I fit it. But the big DL1000 XT V-Strom and Africa Twin keep calling. Being a lanky guy I just fit those better. The V-Strom seems to tick more boxes but the AT looks better. I bought the Griso because it looked to good - but it's been a bear to fit it me.
 
Thanks for the write-up tommymck. I've also been thinking that the Speedmaster seems to be a natural competitor to the CB1100 even though they have different riding positions.

Some of the online reviews have mentioned that you can put mid-mount controls on the Speedmaster because it's on the Bonneville platform. Have you entertained that thought or do you think it would compromise leg comfort?

What are your thoughts on the "beach cruiser" style wide handlebars on the Speedmaster? Are they comfortable at the expense of confident handling?
 
Thread starter
Stichill_imp said:
Thanks for the write-up tommymck. I've also been thinking that the Speedmaster seems to be a natural competitor to the CB1100 even though they have different riding positions.

Some of the online reviews have mentioned that you can put mid-mount controls on the Speedmaster because it's on the Bonneville platform. Have you entertained that thought or do you think it would compromise leg comfort?

What are your thoughts on the "beach cruiser" style wide handlebars on the Speedmaster? Are they comfortable at the expense of confident handling?
I don't think that it would compromise comfort (it may even be more comfortable for all I know) but it would compromise the overall feel and vibe, which is a good part of why I was interested in it in the first place.

So far as the "beach cruiser" bars are concerned, I'm not even sure what the term means. So far as I can tell, the bars are no wider than is typical. Maybe even narrower. I think maybe the term refers to the fact that the bars bend towards the rider so you don't have to reach forward very much. That's sort of essential I guess because otherwise you'd have your legs and body both forward and the bend would be too much. In any case, they are fine in terms of handing. The bike really makes you want to sit back and take it all in though, and I really haven't pushed it at all.
 
Rboe_imp said:
Love the looks on the Bobber and Speedmaster, but I fit the T200's better. :(

My practical side says get a NC750X - if I fit it. But the big DL1000 XT V-Strom and Africa Twin keep calling. Being a lanky guy I just fit those better. The V-Strom seems to tick more boxes but the AT looks better. I bought the Griso because it looked to good - but it's been a bear to fit it me.
The thing I like best about the AT styling: NO BEAK! The new AT Adventure Sports model is gorgeous in red, white, and blue.
 
I got to see one in person today - it's a big bike with a big price tag. I fear I may not be able to pick it up if it took a nap. :(

Suzuki invented the beak with its' big single. So it's gets a pass (I don't hate it or like it). :) The DL1000 is about 50+ lbs lighter than the big AT too. Still, that AT is dang pretty. So is the CB1100ES
 
I think the TW would make an ideal around-town two-wheeler, but with its carburetor it wouldn't be ideal where I live. The Van-Van 200 has fuel injection but wow is it a small bike.
 
I prefer my 650L for around town. By a wee margin. :) Smaller bikes rock. Having said that, the CB1100 is so easy to ride that it seems like a much smaller bike.

Until you really ride a much smaller bike - but you get my drift. :D
 
Rboe_imp said:
I prefer my 650L for around town. By a wee margin. :) Smaller bikes rock. Having said that, the CB1100 is so easy to ride that it seems like a much smaller bike.

Until you really ride a much smaller bike - but you get my drift. :D
How about the MG Griso? I test rode one at the same time as the CB 1100 and it seemed like a handful compared to the CB.
 
I got it remapped which helped. But still, the motor really wants you to wring it out (8500 red line and it's very easy to hit). My perspective is changing a bit since I put Road Pilot 4's on her. But in town the CB is much easier to ride. On the open road the Guzzi engine is easier to live with (just wish it got better mileage!).

The vibes on the Griso is very "organic", not buzzy. When you pour on the coals she gets up and goes - riding it home after I bought it I went to pass a semi. I just rolled on the throttle a bit, once I got in front of the truck I looked down and she was doing a 100mph!!! Holy Moly! No indication that the motor was working, straining or stressed. No arm stretching acceleration (which it will do if you want to do that) - much different from my Quota or the CB. I'm better at it now, but the first couple years I had a very hard time keeping near the speed limit in town. I have to really watch it. The motor sounds the same at 30 as 50mph.

CB is better in the tight twisties, the Griso is much better on the wide sweepers and touring. I'm looking at getting a DL1000 for "touring" vs. the Griso (for the open road the twins seem nicer, but otherwise I'm pretty agnostic when it comes to the number of cylinders). Having said that, the NC750X with the awesome mileage needs to be checked out.
 
As an Eagle fan, and current V7II owner, I totally get the Griso. I'd take one over an R Nine T. But, the mileage is what nixed the idea. I just can't buy a bike that gets in the 30's when I own a car that does the same.

Curious what you mean by the Griso motor being "easier to live with" on the open road? To me, that is where the CB motor and gearing excels....
 
The vibe of the motor is more like a heart beat or a pulse - hence using the term "organic". Easier to live with is very relative as the CB is also easy to live with; but I find that I prefer the Griso motor on long hauls. Maybe because the CB motor can buzz at certain rpm ranges which is mildly annoying. Mildly. Your mileage may vary. :)

With Beetle's map I'm typically getting 42mpg or better. Not sure if their map was perfected back when you had the Griso. I've heard that some guys got better mileage once their machines were rollerized but I have not noticed a big difference.

On a side note; the XR650L has quite the pulse at cruising speed but on the open road it feels much more busy than the Griso; perhaps the amplitude is a lot greater. I should run it up to Flagstaff and see how I feel about that. Otherwise, it's not nearly as much fun on the freeway as the other two bikes.
 
Thread starter
Oh my......

So, as nice as an MG Griso, or a Suzuki V-Storm, or a Yamaha TW200, or a Honda 650L or an Africa Twin is / are, they are pretty much, each, the antithesis of the Speedmaster. Yeah, if the point is that the Speedmaster cost is stupid as an around town bike, sure. I get that. But if you dig the vibe of a TW200 for around town cruising, you'd likely hate the Speedy, and vice-versa.

My main point was that the riding position of the Speedmaster, for me anyway, isn't ideal for long distance cruising. It is ideal, again for me, for local riding. And that's not to say that it isn't good on the highway. Around these parts anyway, there isn't much in the way of local riding that doesn't put you on the highway for 10 or 20 miles or so, and the bike is great for that. For longer distances though, I just prefer the CB.

I also have a Yamaha SR400. It's also a great around town bike, but in a totally different and pragmatic way (pragmatic except for the kick start I guess....but I dig that in any case...)
 
Oooh, that SR400 has caught my eye. Not enough to buy one, but I can see the attraction (and if I didn't have the 650 this would cost me money :D ).

I look forward to some ride reports on the Speedmaster!
 
The SR400 is definitely cool. However, if they're selling at the MSRP of $6000, and you can get a "new" CB1100 for about that, then it's not so cool...
 
Had an SR400, mine had a few QC issues and just didn't float my boat, as much as I tried to love it. And the kickstart got old..plus, not a bargain at all.
 
Thread starter
Yeah, the SR400 definitely doesn't cut it from a cost / benefit analysis perspective. Haven't had any issues with it at all from a reliability perspective, but I keep it on the west coast for when I'm out there on travel (monthly) or visiting my daughter. I mainly got it because my daughter (in LA) recently got her license and I wanted a bike that was fun for me and easy for her to get her feet wet on. I really do like that bike, but there is no comparison between it and the Speedmaster. And in either case, a new-in-box 2014 CB1100 kills either from a bang-for-buck perspective.

My main point was that I was surprised that I found that the CB1100 was a more comfortable and capable bike for all-around riding than the Triumph cruiser.
 
Back
Top