Cb Off-Road

holy666diver_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Took my cb off-road this week end. I was feeling extra adventurous on my Saturday ride with my buddy. I really wanted to get a picture with my bike in front of these huge cell towers in the hills behind my house. Fun ride. I saw a dirt road leading up to the towers and thought screw it lets do it. My buddy has a dual sport and I've seen vids of cbs off-road. She handled quite well I'll post my vid of me going up the hill. But on the way down things got a little nuts. Of course my gopro battery died 3 minutes before but I totally skid down this dirt trail and ended up on my a$$. I got to a part in the road that had a huge rut, so I tried to slow down and ended up lock up my back tire and instantly slipping on my left side (thank god it was not my exhaust side). Not much damage other than scrapes to my crankcase cover and a bent engine guard which I easily bent back. I can probably drop $200 and have the bike looking like new. Moral of my story.... I need to tame my adventurous spirit on my cb lol At least till I get a dual sport for this stuff haha




All that for this shot:

 
Thank you. I will use your story as evidence for why I also need an Africa Twin.

Well-done on going off road. I did a relatively bad gravel road once. No damage to the bike, but one pair of drawers had to be thrown away...
 
Lol that was great. Yea, I don't think I'd have taken my bike up there.
 
Maybe you could put some knobbies on your CB... :P
 
My PR3 do well on gravel and dirt. You just need better tires.
 
Well done, MG. It was gcarper—see CB1100 dual sport. My recollection is that someone else may have done it too.
 
Rboe_imp said:
When did you go off road? That was all road in the vid.

Did you watch the whole vid? When it went to that rutted rocky broken surface, I would consider that off road lol. On road to me is a hard flat asphalt, concrete or blacktop surface
 
jerrycon_imp said:
Thank you. I will use your story as evidence for why I also need an Africa Twin.

Well-done on going off road. I did a relatively bad gravel road once. No damage to the bike, but one pair of drawers had to be thrown away...
Africa Twin weighs almost as much as the CB1100 and much taller. Maybe a nice DR650?

Knobby tires for a 500+ lb bike are not going to help much, lol.

I always put street tires on my GS's for years and years, still rode them off-road. There was no difference. Over 40K miles on an R100GS, only two sets of the original Pirellis and from then on, Avon Roadrunners.

Rode about 15 mile of pretty rugged dirt road on my Hawk GT 647 once too. It's the low CG that does it.
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
When did you go off road? That was all road in the vid.
Did you watch the whole video?

off-road
adverb: off-road; adverb: offroad
: away from a smooth road; on rough terrain.

That road was not smooth.
 
holy666diver_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
When did you go off road? That was all road in the vid.
Did you watch the whole video?

off-road
adverb: off-road; adverb: offroad
: away from a smooth road; on rough terrain.

That road was not smooth.
Did you watch the whole video?

off-road
adverb: off-road; adverb: offroad
: away from a smooth road; on rough terrain.

That road was not smooth. Hardly takes anything to get a tank like the CB1100 to go down, that road had a lot of gravel and not too many good lines to choose.
 
I got surprised by a mile-long stretch of soon-to-be-repaved road in Michigan last spring. Nothing sharp or jaggedy. Rather, it was mostly sand with some gravel mixed in. It was a "road" by definition and per Google Maps, but it was as "off road" as I care to be on a CB1100. I wish I had a go-pro to capture it...it was way to squirrelly for me to attempt Ferret's Technique for Action Moto-photography. The "road" in the video looks much more treacherous than my "off-road" experience.
 
All I saw was road. Paved and gravel. Even the gravel road was in fairly good shape. I consider off road your trails, paths through fields (even double paths through fields can be in pretty good shape and not worthy of off road unless muddy).

On maps, if is worthy of a line, it's a road. Now there are parts of Bloody Basin Road that are in pretty bad shape and I had some problems riding on it with my XR650L. Now I grew up in eastern Montana where the Mom's and Dad's would toot down gravel roads (three tracks) at 70mph in the old Chevy or Ford; thought we were in heaven if it was paved. Off road was literally striking off across the field with no tracks. Pretty much saved that stuff for pickups. You all are pretty spoiled. :angel:
 
lol I think your "off road" standards are higher than mine.
 
2 people from az in this tread have you guys ever rode on beeline hwy right next to the i17 I did talk about pucker haha:s
 
I-17 goes to Flagstaff, the Beeline goes to Payson. Fast sweepers, the Griso excels at it; up or down. I've ridden it with both bikes but have not ridden to Flagstaff on the CB yet.

May have to find some non-roads around here. :)
 
Back
Top