Can we discuss anything other than CB1100?

As a newbie at first I felt I was unqualified to have a voice on this thread, but then I have been following this forum for 6 months and I most certainty don't want to see it implode.

When I logged in to Tapatalk just now I searched for soccer forums, I counted 50 before I gave up. Did I join any of them? No. Because I am not in the slightest bit interested in football.

When I walk up to the very knowledgeable young man (uh?) in my local Honda shop do I discuss the advantages of mylar over dacron in yacht sails?

If I go to the library to the medical section will I find a book on the Great Lakes in that section?

This is not a social media site? If it is then I am off. You are talking to someone here that doesn't even have a Face Book account.
No, it is a shopfront and a library for a specific motorcycle and it should be kept that way.

On my Kettle Club forum even if only the Honda word were mentioned you would receive a tirade of "Couldn't afford a motorbike so he bought a Honda" type comments. Well its not quite that bad but you get my drift ;)

Of course we should be mates as we have something in common, but what are the chances of us all going for a ride out together like bike mates do? And all agreeing where we are going? ??????

Thanks for the opportunity to voice my opinion.

Cheers
Dengie
 
Dengie...you don't have a Facebook account? That's unAmerican. Oh wait, you're from across the pond. Then that has to be unBritish or unWorld or something!!! I thought everyone had a FB account. That's what my buddy at the NSA told me... I'm calling my broker, time to sell. :D
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I have been on quite a few motorcycle forums in order to learn more about this great hobby in which I am involved. Each and every one, excepting this one, has an off-topic area of some kind. Each and every one of them have a thread about gun control, largely contributed to by Australians. Each and every one has a thread about capitalism v. socialism. Each and every one had a thread posting pictures of women, mostly Asian, all young, and barely dressed. I don't visit those forums anymore because the off-topic discussions morphed into the only topics.

There is plenty of opportunity here for some conversation about things other than motorcycling within a particular motorcycle-related thread. For example, Ferret's archery skills could have been brought up within one of his Seat Time posts. We could have made our comments, he could have replied, and the topic would have naturally returned to the original ride report. There are plenty of examples of this happening without intervention from the authorities.

Y'all ought to lighten up and continue to contribute to this forum in the positive manner that makes this the great place it is.
You naughty, naughty, troll you.

Cheers
 
Guth and Ferret for President and Vice President.......of the Honda CB1100 Forum. How's that for political?

I agree with Guth's comments and trust the forum will remain one of the best motorcycles on the planet.
 
I guess the bottom line, for better or worse, this forum is not a democracy. Gurth started it and pays for it, so he sets the tone and rules; which if fair enough. If us members don't like it we are free to start another with different rules. This is why in the BMW K-bike world there are several each with a different personality. I enjoy this forum the most, but to be honest one of my BMW forums has great trip rides by some members and they are active and report in real time with maps. With the age of the K-bikes there are a lot of technical and how too articles, which have truly helpful to me.

If we don't like this game we can take our ball and go play somewhere else. I for one am staying, but it would be nice to open it up to personal info, but not politics, sports, and etc. Lord knows oil is a contentious subject as it is, let alone ABS braking.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I enjoy the banter and humor and especially points of view on almost any topic from people living out side the U.S., that being said I totally understand ferrets position and consider it his call.
Perhaps one of the members could start a CB Pub and it could just be a link?
 
I agree with the majority. There are real Pubs & clubs out there with actual interactions where you can talk about everything under the sun and If you go to a forum to do this then you have a problem. I do not contribute much to the jibber jabber I guess I'm just Square. But I do contribute about Motorcycle mods and experiences on the CB and also love to here and see stories anything motorcycle Related. I'm Sure most of you know that this is a CB1100 Forum and it does Say it on the title Up there in front of your screen.
 
Keep it as is for sure. Facebook is an excellent place to find your fellow forum members are closet wacko's. :)
 
I'm on the side of a CB1100 only site. One thing I hate is when someone ask a legitimate question about their bike, to try and get a straight answer. Then the topic ends up going way off subject and before you know it, were talking about someones cat that caught a mouse. :@
 
One thing I keep reading on CB1100.com is how comfortable the new people feel about joining in. This is social place with lots of personalities from all over the world and we all have one great thing that brings us together. I like the way this is put together and I wouldn't change a thing...except maybe a '14 standard on the banner.
 
I think some people are just lonely, then drink too much and need a place to socialize, and are to impaired to search the internet, so want this one forum to meet all their needs.
Keep it how it is, if someone is looking for more or different...than look for it, its a big world with a big internet.
 
I've been away and following this discussion on various mobile contraptions and, while it seems that nearly everything that can be said has been said, I'll add my two bob's worth anyway.

I'm no expert, but it seems to me the difficulty with forums is that, on good ones, people will become friendly and end up wanting to talk about things other than the primary subject. That, of course, risks derailing the intent of the forum and spoiling it for others—see tomas's comment at post #30 as an example. The virtue of this forum is that Guth and Ferret have done a great job of keeping it focused and polite while, at the same time, allowing a bit of latitude. I don't know but I suspect, as the number of members grows and the relative number of wannabe disruptives (like me) increases, the task of moderation becomes greater and more arduous.

I'd like a 'pub' section on the forum because I feel like I've made some friends and I enjoy having a joke with them. BUT—and there are several—I wouldn't like to see the tone of the place degenerate; nor would I like to see politics and religion discussed (God forbid, an Australian might have a view on gun control); nor would I like to see the sort of carrying on that occurs on some forums where people who don't conform with the view of a noisy clique are abused and hounded. I'd also not like the load on Guth and Ferret to become overwhelmed because of an increased load.

This is Guth's forum and it's his call. He's made it and, even though I may have hoped for a slightly different outcome, he has my full support. I'm not leaving; this place is mostly interesting and people really pleasant. And I hope that both Ferret and Guth will continue to allow us to stray ever so slightly off topic from time to time.

But, if anyone has a suggested place on the web for exchanging vaguely related frivolity, perhaps they could PM me?

By the way, the Honda CB1100 is a fantastic bike. Does anyone agree?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I've been away and following this discussion on various mobile contraptions and, while it seems that nearly everything that can be said has been said, I'll add my two bob's worth anyway.

I'm no expert, but it seems to me the difficulty with forums is that, on good ones, people will become friendly and end up wanting to talk about things other than the primary subject. That, of course, risks derailing the intent of the forum and spoiling it for others—see tomas's comment at post #30 as an example. The virtue of this forum is that Guth and Ferret have done a great job of keeping it focused and polite while, at the same time, allowing a bit of latitude. I don't know but I suspect, as the number of members grows and the relative number of wannabe disruptives (like me) increases, the task of moderation becomes greater and more arduous.

I'd like a 'pub' section on the forum because I feel like I've made some friends and I enjoy having a joke with them. BUT—and there are several—I wouldn't like to see the tone of the place degenerate; nor would I like to see politics and religion discussed (God forbid, an Australian might have a view on gun control); nor would I like to see the sort of carrying on that occurs on some forums where people who don't conform with the view of a noisy clique are abused and hounded. I'd also not like the load on Guth and Ferret to become overwhelmed because of an increased load.

This is Guth's forum and it's his call. He's made it and, even though I may have hoped for a slightly different outcome, he has my full support. I'm not leaving; this place is mostly interesting and people really pleasant. And I hope that both Ferret and Guth will continue to allow us to stray ever so slightly off topic from time to time.

But, if anyone has a suggested place on the web for exchanging vaguely related frivolity, perhaps they could PM me?

By the way, the Honda CB1100 is a fantastic bike. Does anyone agree?
No.
 
I agree totally on the CB 1100!

For what it's worth, the UK CB 1100 forum has just such a forum called Time Out/General Chat or something. No one has posting anything on it since mid April. You are a member over there as well Cormanus, as is Ridem (as am I BTW) and many other members of this forum. Ironically Tortuga is not, even though he is from the UK. So there is a place on the net for those CB lovers who want to pub chat about subjects we are not comfortable discussing on this forum.
 
Ferret, I'm sure Tortuga said he was a member of the UK forum, maybe under another name. The idea of using that forum for the pub-type chat occurred to me.

As for that Damfino, I assume he'll have a CB on the market soon. :)
 
Ironically it appears you were the last post in that forum on April 14 Cormanus lol
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I've been away and following this discussion on various mobile contraptions and, while it seems that nearly everything that can be said has been said, I'll add my two bob's worth anyway.

I'm no expert, but it seems to me the difficulty with forums is that, on good ones, people will become friendly and end up wanting to talk about things other than the primary subject. That, of course, risks derailing the intent of the forum and spoiling it for others—see tomas's comment at post #30 as an example. The virtue of this forum is that Guth and Ferret have done a great job of keeping it focused and polite while, at the same time, allowing a bit of latitude. I don't know but I suspect, as the number of members grows and the relative number of wannabe disruptives (like me) increases, the task of moderation becomes greater and more arduous.

I'd like a 'pub' section on the forum because I feel like I've made some friends and I enjoy having a joke with them. BUT—and there are several—I wouldn't like to see the tone of the place degenerate; nor would I like to see politics and religion discussed (God forbid, an Australian might have a view on gun control); nor would I like to see the sort of carrying on that occurs on some forums where people who don't conform with the view of a noisy clique are abused and hounded. I'd also not like the load on Guth and Ferret to become overwhelmed because of an increased load.

This is Guth's forum and it's his call. He's made it and, even though I may have hoped for a slightly different outcome, he has my full support. I'm not leaving; this place is mostly interesting and people really pleasant. And I hope that both Ferret and Guth will continue to allow us to stray ever so slightly off topic from time to time.

But, if anyone has a suggested place on the web for exchanging vaguely related frivolity, perhaps they could PM me?

By the way, the Honda CB1100 is a fantastic bike. Does anyone agree?
Agreed. A large number of threads do have some thread drift. Some innocuous, boring and blessedly brief; like what do I care what's on the menu of a diner in Poughkeepsie. Some annoying and just a hinderance to the serious intent of the OP. Guth and ferret do a great job keeping a great balance between these extremes and I congratulate them. It can't be easy. So it's up to them. As Cormanus said, and maybe MacArthur should have said, "I'm not leaving". :)

Cheers
 
Back
Top