Can we discuss anything other than CB1100?

Tortuga_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I quote from a recent post:

(Today 04:04 PM)The ferret Wrote:
Ok guys, as popular as soccer is around the world, like the Famous Ferret thread, this one doesn't meet the standard for our forum as it is not motorcycle/ CB 1100 related. I will give it one hour then it will be deleted.

And as I stated on my reply to your reply on that thread, 'really Mickey!'

Come on, we are a mature community here and much as discussing mufflers and grip buddies is fun for a while, ultimately we are quickly become the 'one trick pony' narrowed down to the point of boredom. It's just becoming a little bit repetitive with people discussing the same old cuss over and over.

I would like to share me chatter, experiences and viewpoints with like-minded chaps of a similar age without the Nazi constraints of subject matter.

General Discussion is the most suitable looking thread-home for most of the 'conversational' topics, as the others are so specific.

If a 'cafe' or 'pub' or 'lounge' area can't be created, and the creative and humorous well intended inputs from the likes of me and others aren't welcome, then I will cease my contributions.

I expect a ban, but if this is my last post, may I just say...most forums aren't so limited once they've expanded.


Think 'Hells Angels'... Do you think they talk an out noting but custom bikes and leather 'colours'?


I think Guth needs to widen the categories a bit since most traffic seems to fo through 'General Discussion' which if you read the T&Cs is anything but.

All I wasn't is a cafe/pub/chill out lounge for general banter.

Too much to ask?
 
I abstain. I see no problem with having an off-topic area, but I see no need for it, either. Especially if it's used to discuss soccer. ZZZZzzzzzzzz
 
A loaded question (or poll.) The Forum is very bike related and that's okay. Seems like there are topic areas on riding and other bikes that allow some latitude beyond just the CB. For example, Ferret's running report on his bucket list ride was highly enjoyable even though it was done on an ST1300. Maybe if a thread goes astray it ought to be killed quickly as possible so there's no feeling of deprivation. Hard to say. I do really like the people here. I really felt welcome on day 1.
 
IMHO, the CB1100 forum should be about the CB1100 motorcycle or about other motorcycles or things specifically related to the CB1100. The off-topic sections of the forum are fine for non-CB1100 related discussions.

I would not try to start a debate *here* about whether the Vaganova or Cechetti method of performing Battement Frappe is better because this is not the forum for it and it would be waste of time *and* space for those that aren't interested in it.
 
FB there is no sections for off the topic non related discussions. That's the whole point! The more you hang around this forum the more people you meet and you become friends :) forums make friends :)
 
Ridem32_imp said:
FB there is no sections for off the topic non related discussions. That's the whole point! The more you hang around this forum the more people you meet and you become friends :) forums make friends :)
oops, I stand corrected. I confused the section 'other bikes' with just plain old 'off-topic'.. yeah, other forums have an 'off-topic' area and I think it adds value. It's a good idea.
 
Sigh.

Sorry guys, if you're tiring of this place and looking for other things to discuss, then you'll need to go elsewhere to do so. This might keep our numbers small when it comes to active members, but I've seen more than enough examples of so called mature adults derailing the vibe of a forum when the primary focus of conversation expands into areas unrelated to what brought people together in the first place. On this forum that means discussing the CB1100 and motorcycles/motorcycling in general. I don't mean to be a jerk about this, but it is simply not a debatable point.

This is one reason I've never asked anyone for money to help keep this place going. The only thing anyone has to invest is their time and when that becomes too much to ask, they are free to move on. My little rant here is not directed at anyone specifically, but obviously his topic has now become top-of-mind for me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I think there's a lot of value in getting to know each other beyond our common interest of the cb1100. I'm new here, but I've enjoyed the banter that goes on and see it as contributing to the community feel. Point me to the pub.
 
Hey guys...let's give Guth and Ferret a break on this one. They do a pretty good job policing this site and for the most part have kept it bike oriented and fun. I see no reason for that to change. I recently joined a Harley and a KLR forum just to see what they're talking about (I'm new to this world of discussion) and frankly, there's TOO much banter going on in both of them that's not relevant to the motorcycle they profess to be built around. Let's keep this place bike related, CB specific, and if the occasional thread goes too far... allow them to pull it back without getting our shorts in a wad. Ok? After all... they run the place. :beerchug:
 
I have been on quite a few motorcycle forums in order to learn more about this great hobby in which I am involved. Each and every one, excepting this one, has an off-topic area of some kind. Each and every one of them have a thread about gun control, largely contributed to by Australians. Each and every one has a thread about capitalism v. socialism. Each and every one had a thread posting pictures of women, mostly Asian, all young, and barely dressed. I don't visit those forums anymore because the off-topic discussions morphed into the only topics.

There is plenty of opportunity here for some conversation about things other than motorcycling within a particular motorcycle-related thread. For example, Ferret's archery skills could have been brought up within one of his Seat Time posts. We could have made our comments, he could have replied, and the topic would have naturally returned to the original ride report. There are plenty of examples of this happening without intervention from the authorities.

Y'all ought to lighten up and continue to contribute to this forum in the positive manner that makes this the great place it is.
 
I totally support Guth on this one.

Anyone that's bored here should just go away, and please no big announcement that you're doing so.
 
This is my favorite forum for general motorcycling information. Like everybody here I have opinons about Obama and everybody else. I am here for general motorcycle information. I have learned a ton here in a short time period. I would like this to stay on Motorycyles only please.
 
Guth_imp said:
Sigh.

Sorry guys, if you're tiring of this place and looking for other things to discuss, then you'll need to go elsewhere to do so. This might keep our numbers small when it comes to active members, but I've seen more than enough examples of so called mature adults derailing the vibe of a forum when the primary focus of conversation expands into areas unrelated to what brought people together in the first place. On this forum that means discussing the CB1100 and motorcycles/motorcycling in general. I don't mean to be a jerk about this, but it is simply not a debatable point.

This is one reason I've never asked anyone for money to help keep this place going. The only thing anyone has to invest is their time and when that becomes too much to ask, they are free to move on. My little rant here is not directed at anyone specifically, but obviously his topic has now become top-of-mind for me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1: I'm a CB/motorcycle nerd. This is where I come talk to and learn from other like-minded CB/motorcycle nerds! :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I do not contribute a lot to this forum but I do check it everyday. I like the way Guth has it set up to be about the CB1100 and motorcycle topics. That is why I joined this forum.
 
I'm on board for the cB1100 and motorbike- centric nature of this forum. The nauseating political talk that overruns and squelches conversation in other forums must be avoided. The trolling and general nastiness as well. Might make this board a little less active, but far more civilized.
 
I'm fine with the forum just as it is. If I want to talk about things, I go other places. I doubt anyone here wants to know about my shaving habits, or my latest double-edged razor score from an antique shop - but I occasionally visit a forum dedicated to that.

This doesn't need to be ADVrider, trying to be all things to all people. There's a wealth of information there - but it can hard to find with the noise-to-signal ratio.

When I have something to mention about the CB, then I come here. Or when I want to find out something about it. I'm planning on lowering my bars, so I looked up info here on it. Thankfully, ChipBeck did that with a complete write-up, so I'll be following in his footsteps when the time comes.
 
I'm a newbie here and joined only to learn from the experiences of other CB owners and to share information. I don't contribute much, but I check in just about every day to see what's going on.
I belong to a couple of other forums that have off-topic sections, but don't waste my time on them.
I like the forum as it is and am not interested in discussing off-topic subjects.
Guth has already made the decision so it's really a moot point anyway.
 
Back
Top