Can I hear from all 45 and under riders? Why did you pick the CB1100?

knuth11_imp said:
When I was 16 I had my first bike, a honda 450 Nighthawk. Im 41 now, haven't ridden in 25 years. I went to the local dealer last week and saw the cb1100(2014 standard/black). I went home but couldn't stop thinking about how perfect this bike was. So, naturally I bought it:) It is a gorgeous machine.
I really like this! Congratulations on your purchase, every mile you ride will only reinforce this instinct you have. You made a great choice. Welcome to the forum and go buy some Relets.
 
Coming in at 27 here. Got my M license two years ago and started with an 83 KZ440. Bike was pretty awful, but got it on the cheap and I learned to ride with it. Then acquired a 79 CB750 as I was always fond of the UJMs. That bike became too unreliable (major carb issues) and decided I'm done with older bikes. I don't own a car so I wanted a motorcycle that could withstand all of my commutes/travels with dependability.

I live in Chicagoland and the amount of HD cruisers I see is overwhelming. Every guy riding with sunglasses and a bandanna is such a trope of the suburban mid-life crisis, it's just so lame. I just really don't like the cruiser style. Sportbikes are just completely outta the question for me as their usefulness in what I need would be so under-serving.

Queue in the CB1100: A modern day bike with no frills and the reliability of modern engineering all within a retro styling that zeroes in perfectly on what I like regarding body style. My dad is a huge Honda advocate and he's even worked at HD dealerships, and still emphasizes the reliability of a Honda. I could have gone for the Bonnie or a TU250 (nice looking bike, but just not all there). Having the CB1100 come out made my decision so much easier, because the price (bought a 2013 in Feb 2015) was very good. OTD at $8995.

To sum up it all up, the generic setups that I see cruising around just don't pique my interest. I'd love to ride them from time to time (R1s, Sportsters, Ninjas), but at the end of the day, having a bike that can serve my utilitarian purposes without much accommodation in a beautiful candy red package reigns supreme.
 
Thread starter
Specialist,

Just curious, do you ride helmet-less? I have family in Chicago and the few times I've gone never saw a helmeted rider.

Nm, just saw your avatar pic.

Still, I was amazed at all the lid-less riders I saw over there.
 
Rebel73_imp said:
Specialist,

Just curious, do you ride helmet-less? I have family in Chicago and the few times I've gone never saw a helmeted rider.

Nm, just saw your avatar pic.

Still, I was amazed at all the lid-less riders I saw over there.
I do not ride helmet-less. Tried it once or twice and I really can't stand all the wind noise/force hitting me.

It's about 1 in 8 you'll see with a helmet on in Chicagoland. It's one thing to not care about your own life, but it really agitates me when guys are riding 2up with their girls and they're in shorts/sandals only. I always give my girl a helmet and if I for some reason don't have another on hand, I'll forego mine and give it to her. I'd just imagine other guys would have that same sanctity of caution for their significant other's but I guess not.
 
Thread starter
specialist8_imp said:
Rebel73_imp said:
Specialist,

Just curious, do you ride helmet-less? I have family in Chicago and the few times I've gone never saw a helmeted rider.

Nm, just saw your avatar pic.

Still, I was amazed at all the lid-less riders I saw over there.
I do not ride helmet-less. Tried it once or twice and I really can't stand all the wind noise/force hitting me.

It's about 1 in 8 you'll see with a helmet on in Chicagoland. It's one thing to not care about your own life, but it really agitates me when guys are riding 2up with their girls and they're in shorts/sandals only. I always give my girl a helmet and if I for some reason don't have another on hand, I'll forego mine and give it to her. I'd just imagine other guys would have that same sanctity of caution for their significant other's but I guess not.
I do not ride helmet-less. Tried it once or twice and I really can't stand all the wind noise/force hitting me.

It's about 1 in 8 you'll see with a helmet on in Chicagoland. It's one thing to not care about your own life, but it really agitates me when guys are riding 2up with their girls and they're in shorts/sandals only. I always give my girl a helmet and if I for some reason don't have another on hand, I'll forego mine and give it to her. I'd just imagine other guys would have that same sanctity of caution for their significant other's but I guess not. Seriously,

I'd never let my girl ride without a helmet and decent gear. I think those guys are nuts - Darwinism in action.
 
Like many riders around my age (45), I fondly recall rides around town when I was a kid with family friends, etc. on UJMs that resembled my CB. My first bike in fact was a Honda CM200T Twinstar with chrome fenders that I purchased for a mere $125 when I was 15 years old! (what were my parents thinking!?) After a bit of tinkering, I rode that Twinstar, thousands of miles around my hometown, without a license or insurance, before leaving for college.
Fast forward 30 years and 50+ motorcycles, I've pretty much tried it all; 17 BMW's, a few Harleys, Ducatis, Hondas, Triumphs, Moto Guzzis, Buells, dirt bikes, track bikes, quads, convertible sports cars, etc... About every 4 years, I repeatedly found myself selling my toys and buying another BMW GS (I've owned 6 of them) as I love their "do it all" attitude, ease of maintenance and ability to comfortably carry me to a remote campsite across 5 streams or 1000 miles of interstate in a day. Oddly, I even liked the way they looked.
When I first saw the CB, I was immediately attracted to the bike and something deep in my brain said "this is what a motorcycle is supposed to look like!" I knew that it was just a matter of time before owning one. When I saw the Deluxe, I was smitten!
I have only spent about 200 miles aboard my CB and know that she is not perfect. However, a credit card can fix all of these issues. I know that there are more functional bikes for the same amount of money. However, for the time being, I am perfectly happy owning what I feel is a special bike for those days when I want to take her for ride.
 
I'm 35. Just bought the bike last week, a left over 2013 CB1100. I've ridden rockets, Harley, and a lot of other bikes over the years. My first motorcycle memory is at the age of 5 when my dad took me to kindergarten on his 78 Honda 550 four. I love all motorcycles but nothing has given me that "pure motorcycle" feeling like the CB1100. This is the first bike that I can't stop smiling while riding.
 
i'm 30, and just about to pick up a cb1100- probably a 2013 due to cost. I cut my teeth on a 1978 GS1000 that was first bike, and was not running well at all when I got it. Bought the manual and went through it tail to headlight and got it running right. Along the way I decided that late 70s bikes were the best aesthetic bikes I'd ever seen. Now that I have a decent job, I want that same look but with some more modern comforts like better suspension / braking, and EFI. CB1100 seems to be the only real choice in town
 
trickyasafox_imp said:
i'm 30, and just about to pick up a cb1100- probably a 2013 due to cost. I cut my teeth on a 1978 GS1000 that was first bike, and was not running well at all when I got it. Bought the manual and went through it tail to headlight and got it running right. Along the way I decided that late 70s bikes were the best aesthetic bikes I'd ever seen. Now that I have a decent job, I want that same look but with some more modern comforts like better suspension / braking, and EFI. CB1100 seems to be the only real choice in town
:thumbsup: I think you're right!
 
I was 45 when I bought my CB1100 2 years ago. I had my first bike when I was an 18 year old punk. Then got married young and life happened. When I stated bike shopping a few years ago I was looking at the Ducuti Diavel believe it or not, but then I saw the CB1100 at the bike show and it spoke to me.

Attached is a picture of me as an 18 year old on my 1980 Kawasaki LTD 750 twin and another pic of the bike.
b1e057555c2b3a0bb30a4bc0fcef4edc.jpg
10e7abbafe18b9f8150933000698fe27.jpg
 
mustakoira_imp said:
I was 45 when I bought my CB1100 2 years ago. I had my first bike when I was an 18 year old punk. Then got married young and life happened. When I stated bike shopping a few years ago I was looking at the Ducuti Diavel believe it or not, but then I saw the CB1100 at the bike show and it spoke to me.

Attached is a picture of me as an 18 year old on my 1980 Kawasaki LTD 750 twin and another pic of the bike.
b1e057555c2b3a0bb30a4bc0fcef4edc.jpg
10e7abbafe18b9f8150933000698fe27.jpg
With the LTD 750 Twin I picked up motorbiking again and the bike stayed with me
for more than 10 years. I enjoyed the torquey parallel engine a lot, although
the bike was a heavily used one and I had to take care of it and exchanged different
parts of it , because they ran out of work. But the motor always kept on going.:)
The LTD is the reason, why I love this kind of engine besides the In Line Four.
And of course some other stuff....:D

But the Parallel Twin has a special place in my heart.
As much as I dig my CB, honestly written, you don't need more than this.
So, I'm glad to posses and ride a W800 too! It reminds me on my LTD.

Wisedrum
 
Not an RLET to be seen.

Nicely looking bike, Kenny.
 
I'm 30. Ever since I can remember I've always loved the CB's. Not sure why as I'm the only one in my family that's into bikes and powersports. Not sure where the love came from but I can't imagin life without bikes. I had 2 cb550's when i was about 17 and regret selling them. Had some various bikes after, Then in 07 I bought the 919 because it was a modern CB. Then when the CB1100 came out I thought this is the most beautiful bike I have ever seen, and its fuel injected. So I had to have it.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Not an RLET to be seen.

Nicely looking bike, Kenny.
It definitely looks better in photos than real life. But for 33 years old with 42K miles on her, it has held up very well. Buying side covers off of a bike with only 5K miles also helped.
 
mustakoira_imp said:
I was 45 when I bought my CB1100 2 years ago. I had my first bike when I was an 18 year old punk. Then got married young and life happened. When I stated bike shopping a few years ago I was looking at the Ducuti Diavel believe it or not, but then I saw the CB1100 at the bike show and it spoke to me.

Attached is a picture of me as an 18 year old on my 1980 Kawasaki LTD 750 twin and another pic of the bike.
b1e057555c2b3a0bb30a4bc0fcef4edc.jpg
10e7abbafe18b9f8150933000698fe27.jpg
Ahh, that brings back memories. I had 3 of the Kaw 750 twins. Got my '79 when I was 18. Crashed that one and got a brand new '80 LTD, on which I racked up around 70K miles in the next few years. Here it is ready for a big roadtrip in '87.
0c6f9badef463d8b8c81365b7e49004e.jpg


Last one was a used '83 CSR model that I bought when the old LTD was getting kind of worn out. It also made a few epic road trips :P

09d07d024180ea31fe328577f6fbd505.jpg


To me this seems like a logical place for old KZ fans to end up :D
 
They look like great warhorses. I love the old-fashioned crash bars.
 
Back
Top