Can I hear from all 45 and under riders? Why did you pick the CB1100?

Wait. Your username is username? Is your password password? :)
 
This bike has rejuvinated me when it comes to riding. My first bike was a 2006 Victory Vegas Eight Ball. I'd come home and ride that thing every day. In late 2008, I decided to trade it for a 2009 Fatboy. I always liked the look of the Fatboy. I found out quick that I didn't like the ride that much. After a couple of years, I sold it.

Four years later, I decided that I miss riding. I kept looking and looking at this bike. Of coarse, it's a new 2013 and marked down, too. So Saturday, I took the plunge. All weekend, I couldn't stay off of it. Whether going a couple of miles to get something to eat, or making a 100 mile trip to go the 10 miles to hang out with a friend on Sunday night.
 
I thought I was one of the youngest when I bought mine in 2013, at the young age of 46 (now 48). Guess I will settle for being one of the youngest at this weekends gathering in North Carolina. Out of the 10 bikes that I have owned, this is probably my favorite. She handles great for a standard naked, has great low end torque, looks great, and is unique in today's world. It also takes me back to when I was young. I just love the feeling I get when I ride her. I love the twisty roads and use to do a lot of track days on my CBR's, but I have just as much fun, or more on the CB in the twisties as I did on my sport bikes. And, I don't have to go as fast to do it.
 
I am 31, was 30 when I picked up the CB11. I was happy on my '77 CB400SS. I wasn't even really "in the market" when I happened to see it in a magazine review at the dentist office. I obsessed until my woman couldn't stand it anymore and demanded that I "just buy it already". Haven't looked back. My friends and I have always been picking up and rebuilding old Hondas for fun. Too easy and too cool. It has been said again and again but it bears repeating: The styling is timeless... if not my time. I have no need for what today's sport bikes offer and cruisers are not me either. The CB1100 is what I think of when I hear motorcycle. To me it is my reflection on two wheels, at least how I would have myself be seen: handsome, refined, versatile, understated and low key without going unnoticed. Also, like me, it straddles the gap between simplicity and technology, and in just the right way. I ask, what other bike would I choose?
 
I am 34, and this style (naked/std) has always been my favorite. I echo a lot of what other users have shared here. BTW this is the very first m.bike I've ever owned.

2014 BLACK STD CB 1100
 
I'm 36 and really don't have a lot of experience with bikes. Started riding at 31, all my bikes have been light-medium cruisers, which is not a very good representation of a motorcycling in general. I was looking for something with suspension travel, upright seating position, long tear reliability, low end torque and it absolutely positively should not look like a jetski. The contenders were older Concourse, naked GL1000/1100, VMax, Bandit 1200, Bonneville, you get the idea. The CB ended up being the most expensive of the bunch, but it just ticked off all the right boxes. And the look and feel of it is perfect. Can easily see myself keeping it forever. Will see how it holds up an longer trips.

The crazy low prices on leftover CBs make it a heck of a bargain. There is a brand new 0 mile 2013 still sitting at a local dealer for $7500, crazy stuff. I found a new 2014 for only a little more.
 
25 here. I have ridden a cb750 for two years now and love the fact that I don't look like a 90's power ranger on it or the cb1100. It just ticks all the boxes for me. Power that wont get me either killed or a felony speeding ticket, light on the plastic with a beautiful engine, not a harley, and it stays classy.
 
Thread starter
Hey Jamil,

welcome aboard! Downey, huh? Not too far from you. Totally agree with you. You get A LOT more motorcycle for your money than with a Harley, and stand apart.
 
In november of last year I went 32, but the CB1100 was already one of my dreambikes back in 2012, when I really started to get into motorcycles.

So back than it was the std model since there was no DLX/EX.
When the EX model came out I was completely hooked :)

Since my first interest in bikes I was never into super sport bikes.
The only modern naked motorcycle I briefly longed for was a Kawa, cant even remember the model.
Now I think all modern (Japanese) naked motorcycles more or less look alike and are just plain ugly :-/
The MT-09/FZ-09 is an exception :thumbsup:
Also Ducs Hypermotards were attractive. And the mighty Vmax!!

I did have a heavy Sportster/HD period (didn't we all? :blush:) and after that a CB1300 period.
And than a huge Triumph Thruxton period :cool:
The final obsession was the ultimate one: CB1100.

At the same time I couldn't get an FJR out of my head, there even was a heavy K1600 period with now and than the occasional F6B added into the mix. :)

I must honestly say that sport touring bikes still plays in my head, as a second bike, next to my dream bike, wich I currently own :)
As for sport touring bikes, I'm kinda re-entering my VFR1200 period now :)

All those bikes have 1 thing in common, upright seating position :)
So I always seemed to be oriented to the retro or more classical looking naked bikes ánd sport touring bikes.
So I think I am not your average cliche young motorcyclist.
 
My first bike was a 1965 CB160. I found it behind the in laws shed out back. From that day forward my preference was the early Honda style. That was almost ten years ago. When the CB1100 came out it was my my chance to have a commuter that looked the old school part but would give me the modern reliability I needed. For those mornings where I might be running a bit behind I can hop on and go. No waiting for it to scare out the carburetor demons that seem to move in every night. Currently we have my original CB160, a 64 S90, my wife's 72 CL175 and my 13.
 
I got into riding on the street (had dirt bikes over the years) after my kids all got out of high school, couldn't bear the thought of getting booted out of the Coast Guard on a med board until they were on their own. I was 44 when I picked up my CB and I chose it because 1) the reviews were of a refined bike that looked great and would run forever 2) because it was rarer than the Triumph Bonneville Newchurch edition and 3) because it was languishing in a Honda dealer that sold it to me for under $7400 (I think, I can't remember for sure).

The only drawback I have experienced is that aftermarket parts are mainly from Japan which makes market research difficult to conduct. I prefer to pore over websites and youtube for reviews and explanations. There just isn't much of that for this bike when compared to other bikes like the Bonnies. I have found Dimecitycycles and Revivalcycles have a lot of universal parts that look cool if you are into the retro cafe look.

I love the stripped down look of a cafe racer and will be going in that direction for my bike. Unfortunately, I only have space to store my bike in the winter and have no room for actual work until it gets nicer out. So, I'm starting to stockpile parts!
 
Back
Top