Can I add ABS to Non ABS 2013

HWdesign_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
hi

I have a non ABS 2013 and I am exploring what would be involved to add ABS to it.

Any advise would be welcome. It's probably not worth it but I thought I would ask.

thanks

HW
 
The change to ABS would entail about $2500 worth of different parts. The modulator alone is over $1000, plus you'll need a different caliper, wire harness, and many misc smaller items. Not including the meter, another $600 if you want the indicator on the dash. Plus labor. About the price of a good used ABS model.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
The change to ABS would entail about $2500 worth of different parts. The modulator alone is over $1000, plus you'll need a different caliper, wire harness, and many misc smaller items. Not including the meter, another $600 if you want the indicator on the dash. Plus labor. About the price of a good used ABS model.
thanks I figured as much. Do you know if there is a caliper that would replace the stock that would be better.
 
HWdesign_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
The change to ABS would entail about $2500 worth of different parts. The modulator alone is over $1000, plus you'll need a different caliper, wire harness, and many misc smaller items. Not including the meter, another $600 if you want the indicator on the dash. Plus labor. About the price of a good used ABS model.
thanks I figured as much. Do you know if there is a caliper that would replace the stock that would be better.
thanks I figured as much. Do you know if there is a caliper that would replace the stock that would be better.
Curious, what about the brakes do you not like?
 
Thread starter
The pads are basically new and the grip, especially on the rear is soft. I'm used to them but I was curious if I had any options.
 
HWdesign_imp said:
The pads are basically new and the grip, especially on the rear is soft. I'm used to them but I was curious if I had any options.
Can you by chance better define "soft"?
 
I think it’s fair to say the general consensus on the forum is that the front brakes on the CB1100 are excellent and the rear is adequate.
 
Not quite helping though Cormanus. I know that some were soft in that they couldn't even lock up their rear brakes if they tried while others have no problem doing so at all if experimenting (myself included). So I was wondering where HWdesign fits into this spectrum from the perspective of both his front and rear brakes.
 
Pauley_imp said:
You might try bleeding the rear brake.
Do this first. At least 4 of us had air in the rear brake from the factory. But its still not as good a brake as the fronts.
 
Technical-general:
1. ABS will never shorten/enhance the braking distance, as this is NOT its function.
2. The rear brake, whether ABS or not, will never be as efficient as the front one, on any motorized vehicle. The Pascal Law is your answer.
3. Converting non ABS into ABS system is possible, if done properly and without cutting corners, but financially unwise.
4. If decided to bleed the brakes, bleed the entire system(s). Use the proper brake fluid, not just the proper DOT#.
5. Before digging into any brakes, diagnose first and know what you are doing.
Improper repairs/modification/handling may hurt yourself and the others. The brakes is the most important safety system of any vehicle.
:idea:
 
Thread starter
Guth_imp said:
Not quite helping though Cormanus. I know that some were soft in that they couldn't even lock up their rear brakes if they tried while others have no problem doing so at all if experimenting (myself included). So I was wondering where HWdesign fits into this spectrum from the perspective of both his front and rear brakes.
thanks, I will do some more analysis soon.
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Pauley_imp said:
You might try bleeding the rear brake.
Do this first. At least 4 of us had air in the rear brake from the factory. But its still not as good a brake as the fronts.
Do this first. At least 4 of us had air in the rear brake from the factory. But its still not as good a brake as the fronts.
Interesting. I will have a friend look at this.
peterbaron_imp said:
Technical-general:
1. ABS will never shorten/enhance the braking distance, as this is NOT its function.
2. The rear brake, whether ABS or not, will never be as efficient as the front one, on any motorized vehicle. The Pascal Law is your answer.
3. Converting non ABS into ABS system is possible, if done properly and without cutting corners, but financially unwise.
4. If decided to bleed the brakes, bleed the entire system(s). Use the proper brake fluid, not just the proper DOT#.
5. Before digging into any brakes, diagnose first and know what you are doing.
Improper repairs/modification/handling may hurt yourself and the others. The brakes is the most important safety system of any vehicle.
:idea:
thanks

I get that ABS will not make the braking distance shorter and thanks for the advise on don't start digging it to stuff you don't know about. I know that I have no interest in pulling apart the brakes myself. I'm fine with bolt on projects, I've done my fair share of those, but brake and engine repairs are certainly beyond my skill set.
 
Back
Top