Camping equipment luggage options for our bike

Honda Lover_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi everyone! I'm planning on taking a few 2-3 night camping trips this season on my '13 CB. I'll be packing all the traditional items (tent, sleeping bag, pad, chair, cooking gear, etc, clothes, etc.). I recently invested in a pair of hard case panniers and am looking to add additional storage to the tail, and/or add a luggage rack. Fortunately there are a lot of different options available to outfit our CB for camping equipment from tail bags, dry bags, tank bags, duffel bags, dry sacks, to luggage racks. My question is what are some camping gear luggage options some of you have used and would recommend? Sharing a few photos of your CB prepped for camping would also be helpful...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
If you are travelling single, two tail bags I would recommend for touring are:

The Saddlemen TS3200DE Deluxe Cruiser Tail Bag.

Saddlemen TS3200DE Deluxe Cruiser Tail Bag (Universal)

The Medium Motofizz Camping Seat Bag.

http://www.aerostich.com/medium-motofizz-camping-seat-bag.html

I have used both on multiple 1k mile trips and both work great.

Neither is water proof. The Motofizz comes with a rain cover. The Saddlemen does not. I carry plastic garbage bags and if it looks like rain, I will put all the items in the garbage bags to keep them dry.

Both expand to carry more stuff. The Saddlemen is a little bit easier to get stuff in and out of.

I used both on my BMW R1200R with OEM hard bags. I put all of my clothes in one side and my sleeping bag and air mattress in the other. My tent and ground cloth went in the tail bags along with a stove and cooking kit. There was plenty or room for more stuff.

If you add a luggage rack, I would recommend the Saddlemen AP700 Rear Rack Bag.

AP700 Rear Rack Bag
 
holy666diver_imp said:
Dude that's a lot to bring on the bike. Do you have backpacking gear?
No. Perhaps I should have.
 
Doubt it weighs as much as an adult passenger who could be sitting back there.
 
Reason I mentioned backpacking is as someone who had camped before via motorcycle, space is everything. Most of this gear can fit into a large backpack and or your bike luggage.

I fit all of this in my trunk bag:

-Backpacking single person tent - Amazon.com
-Below 30 mummy bag - Amazon.com
-Backpacking single burner stove w/ 2 small pots- Amazon.com : Bisgear Camping Cookware Portable Backpacking Stove Canister Stand Tripod Stainless Steel Cup Flatware Mess Kit - Camping Pot and Pans Cooking Set - Camping Gear Must Haves : Sports & Outdoors
-Food mostly cliff bars or small food with high protein and soup cans
-Back packing chair - Amazon.com
-Clothes

I love the brand Alps, all their gear is packable in a backpack and your bike won't look like a circus act when you're all packed.
 
Yea if you camped a lot, it would be wise to invest in lightweight small camping gear. If you are a once a year camper like I am, like for a special occassion, then you make do and load the bike up and let it carry all the over weight, oversized camping gear you bought because you thought the family might like camping and found out later they didn't think it was such a good plan after all.lol
 
Add the luggage rack. Get two waterproof duffels. Get Rokstraps. Maybe get a bag for cooking gear and other camping hardware (but maybe that stuff could go in the side cases. One duffel for your clothes. The other duffel for food and miscellaneous crap. You may not need the second duffel if you have enough room in the first for clothes and food. You should be able to strap everything on using the Rokstraps. The sleeping pad, if it's a rollup one, can make a nice back rest if you set it up right. Put stuff in the side cases that you don't need on the road because the straps and the bags may make access to the cases difficult. If you're into backpacking, then light gear is important. Since I don't do a lot of backwoods camping, I would have at least a 2 person tent and a larger chair. I like the camp stove he displayed and REI has a large selection of similar units. I would also have a fly rod, some wading boots and a small box with flies, leaders and tippets. :)
 
Honda rack, small Emgo top case, saddle bags, tent and sleeping bag across the passenger seat.

ccc5255142d742d8f19574131c7c4c1e.jpg
 
Search " pocket rocket" on the forum and you'll come up with a trip ride I did in Wyoming. Covers a whole lot of what you're asking about. Also has pics of the bike loaded.
 
My set up is pretty simple. My camping gear is already light and compact, because that's what I use for camping in my plane.

A dry bag with clothes and cooking gear (I use a Pocket Rocket burner with small fuel cans). A bag for the sleeping bag and air mattress. A small Coleman Hooligan single pole tent, and a backpack for close-at-hand items like rain gear, jacket, sunblock, etc... It's all covered and waterproofed with an extra large, extra thick, contractor type garbage bag. It ain't pretty, but it works great.

I have a Hepco & Becker luggage rack. The gear is strapped to the back seat and the rack. In wet weather, the bag goes over the the whole works.

a9dfc30caef2598df37740e11062acb6.jpg


13685b9eb9fbf03426c151cc0436d644.jpg


274a89271e16536ffc185db56adcecbb.jpg
 
Thread starter
Everyone has such great recommendations, photos and links. I'm definitely inspired and have a few options to consider. Thank you everyone for taking the time to share!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Everything you see in the left pic easily fits inside my duffel, plus rain gear & walking shoes.


If I just do one full fold of the top flap, I will have just enough space on top to put my riding jacket in there as well, and that's the max capacity for this midsize duffel
 
Jedd, there doesn't seem to be enough room in front of the duffle for you, why not turn it sideways across the seat?
 
Back
Top