Buying Parts - Had a spill

NickyV_imp said:
Here is an update on my current parts list that I'll have to replace. The biggest ones are the instrument cluster and the headlight. I'm ok with going aftermarket, moreso with the headlight as I would like a bit of an upgrade on that. Any recommendations on speedometer? Seems like going OEM would be roughly $1200.

Other than those, here is the below..
-Rear Swingarm adjuster
-Foot steps
-Left Crankcase Cover
-Handlebar/levers
-Turn Signals
-Mirrors

Overall, not too bad and maybe a good time to make some small changes that I've been looking at. Biggest question comes into the speedo. When looking online, when sites say they are compatible. What should I look out for? I imagine they aren't necessarily plug-n-play, but that's just an assumption. Again, appreciate all the help from everyone!
What exactly is wrong with the speedo? When I had a low speed fall.

I scratched my headlight, turn signals, bent the Assy that hold the gauges (it wasnt centered around the key/ignition), and scratched the covers on the back of the speedo/tach. I also had a little road rash on the right side cover.

I was able to get a used headlight and bucket from ebay that I didnt even end up needing cause I could live with the small scratch on my headlight ring. I also got the right side cover and gasket from ebay. Brand new OEM for like half the price

I got the Assy for the gauges and covers for the speedo/tach/cluster from Bikebandit.

The scratches on the turn signal wasn't a big deal and left it and I just recently upgraded to micro LED turn signals from and back. They cost me 10$ on ebay I believe and look amazing. Much much slimmer than the stock ones and just as bright.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Thread starter
mvk24_imp said:
NickyV_imp said:
Here is an update on my current parts list that I'll have to replace. The biggest ones are the instrument cluster and the headlight. I'm ok with going aftermarket, moreso with the headlight as I would like a bit of an upgrade on that. Any recommendations on speedometer? Seems like going OEM would be roughly $1200.

Other than those, here is the below..
-Rear Swingarm adjuster
-Foot steps
-Left Crankcase Cover
-Handlebar/levers
-Turn Signals
-Mirrors

Overall, not too bad and maybe a good time to make some small changes that I've been looking at. Biggest question comes into the speedo. When looking online, when sites say they are compatible. What should I look out for? I imagine they aren't necessarily plug-n-play, but that's just an assumption. Again, appreciate all the help from everyone!
What exactly is wrong with the speedo? When I had a low speed fall.

I scratched my headlight, turn signals, bent the Assy that hold the gauges (it wasnt centered around the key/ignition), and scratched the covers on the back of the speedo/tach. I also had a little road rash on the right side cover.

I was able to get a used headlight and bucket from ebay that I didnt even end up needing cause I could live with the small scratch on my headlight ring. I also got the right side cover and gasket from ebay. Brand new OEM for like half the price

I got the Assy for the gauges and covers for the speedo/tach/cluster from Bikebandit.

The scratches on the turn signal wasn't a big deal and left it and I just recently upgraded to micro LED turn signals from and back. They cost me 10$ on ebay I believe and look amazing. Much much slimmer than the stock ones and just as bright.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
What exactly is wrong with the speedo? When I had a low speed fall.

I scratched my headlight, turn signals, bent the Assy that hold the gauges (it wasnt centered around the key/ignition), and scratched the covers on the back of the speedo/tach. I also had a little road rash on the right side cover.

I was able to get a used headlight and bucket from ebay that I didnt even end up needing cause I could live with the small scratch on my headlight ring. I also got the right side cover and gasket from ebay. Brand new OEM for like half the price

I got the Assy for the gauges and covers for the speedo/tach/cluster from Bikebandit.

The scratches on the turn signal wasn't a big deal and left it and I just recently upgraded to micro LED turn signals from and back. They cost me 10$ on ebay I believe and look amazing. Much much slimmer than the stock ones and just as bright.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
I don't know the exact speed for my fall, but was roughly 25mph. So the bike slid for a bit on one side and then flipped to slide on the other.

The whole assembly broke into a few pieces. When I got up and the bike up. The board was hanging on by the connection. I would have to test it out but I think it technically turns on but there is def some damage around the board as well and I think one of the needles is gone.

For the headlight, when I took it off. Some of the clips on the inside were broken so technically I could probably get away with just the headlight casing.

--So I was just looking at BikeBandit. I would need to replace the meter/speedo/tach, upper/lower case and the cover. BikeBandit does seem to be cheaper for these parts actually by a hair.
 
NickyV_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
NickyV_imp said:
Here is an update on my current parts list that I'll have to replace. The biggest ones are the instrument cluster and the headlight. I'm ok with going aftermarket, moreso with the headlight as I would like a bit of an upgrade on that. Any recommendations on speedometer? Seems like going OEM would be roughly $1200.

Other than those, here is the below..
-Rear Swingarm adjuster
-Foot steps
-Left Crankcase Cover
-Handlebar/levers
-Turn Signals
-Mirrors

Overall, not too bad and maybe a good time to make some small changes that I've been looking at. Biggest question comes into the speedo. When looking online, when sites say they are compatible. What should I look out for? I imagine they aren't necessarily plug-n-play, but that's just an assumption. Again, appreciate all the help from everyone!
What exactly is wrong with the speedo? When I had a low speed fall.

I scratched my headlight, turn signals, bent the Assy that hold the gauges (it wasnt centered around the key/ignition), and scratched the covers on the back of the speedo/tach. I also had a little road rash on the right side cover.

I was able to get a used headlight and bucket from ebay that I didnt even end up needing cause I could live with the small scratch on my headlight ring. I also got the right side cover and gasket from ebay. Brand new OEM for like half the price

I got the Assy for the gauges and covers for the speedo/tach/cluster from Bikebandit.

The scratches on the turn signal wasn't a big deal and left it and I just recently upgraded to micro LED turn signals from and back. They cost me 10$ on ebay I believe and look amazing. Much much slimmer than the stock ones and just as bright.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
What exactly is wrong with the speedo? When I had a low speed fall.

I scratched my headlight, turn signals, bent the Assy that hold the gauges (it wasnt centered around the key/ignition), and scratched the covers on the back of the speedo/tach. I also had a little road rash on the right side cover.

I was able to get a used headlight and bucket from ebay that I didnt even end up needing cause I could live with the small scratch on my headlight ring. I also got the right side cover and gasket from ebay. Brand new OEM for like half the price

I got the Assy for the gauges and covers for the speedo/tach/cluster from Bikebandit.

The scratches on the turn signal wasn't a big deal and left it and I just recently upgraded to micro LED turn signals from and back. They cost me 10$ on ebay I believe and look amazing. Much much slimmer than the stock ones and just as bright.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
I don't know the exact speed for my fall, but was roughly 25mph. So the bike slid for a bit on one side and then flipped to slide on the other.

The whole assembly broke into a few pieces. When I got up and the bike up. The board was hanging on by the connection. I would have to test it out but I think it technically turns on but there is def some damage around the board as well and I think one of the needles is gone.

For the headlight, when I took it off. Some of the clips on the inside were broken so technically I could probably get away with just the headlight casing.

--So I was just looking at BikeBandit. I would need to replace the meter/speedo/tach, upper/lower case and the cover. BikeBandit does seem to be cheaper for these parts actually by a hair.
What exactly is wrong with the speedo? When I had a low speed fall.

I scratched my headlight, turn signals, bent the Assy that hold the gauges (it wasnt centered around the key/ignition), and scratched the covers on the back of the speedo/tach. I also had a little road rash on the right side cover.

I was able to get a used headlight and bucket from ebay that I didnt even end up needing cause I could live with the small scratch on my headlight ring. I also got the right side cover and gasket from ebay. Brand new OEM for like half the price

I got the Assy for the gauges and covers for the speedo/tach/cluster from Bikebandit.

The scratches on the turn signal wasn't a big deal and left it and I just recently upgraded to micro LED turn signals from and back. They cost me 10$ on ebay I believe and look amazing. Much much slimmer than the stock ones and just as bright.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
I don't know the exact speed for my fall, but was roughly 25mph. So the bike slid for a bit on one side and then flipped to slide on the other.

The whole assembly broke into a few pieces. When I got up and the bike up. The board was hanging on by the connection. I would have to test it out but I think it technically turns on but there is def some damage around the board as well and I think one of the needles is gone.

For the headlight, when I took it off. Some of the clips on the inside were broken so technically I could probably get away with just the headlight casing.

--So I was just looking at BikeBandit. I would need to replace the meter/speedo/tach, upper/lower case and the cover. BikeBandit does seem to be cheaper for these parts actually by a hair.

I have a headlight bucket from a 2014 if you are interested.

Other extra parts:
Seat
Side covers - left and right
Headers
Exhaust
Air cleaner covers-left and ride sides


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Couple more questions for this post as I research and am ready to start ordering some part, I don't want to keep opening up new ones. So hope this is fine.

Not ideal, but I think I have decided to get an electronic speedo/tach cluster. Kind of like this, just haven't really found the "right" one. Does anyone have experience with replacing these? Or can anyone point me into something similar that won't need much additional setup. Figure go a bit cheaper and if I don't like the look then I can go back to oem. Just a bit rough to drop $1,100-$1,300 on it.
https://www.motosport.com/koso-db03r-multifunction-gauge?variant[KSO000F]=KSO000F-X001-Y001

I was looking at my handlebar replacement and went out to take some measurements. I had a bar end on the throttle side that was bent so I pulled it off and realized that the throttle was not smooth. Figured it was due to the bent bar end. I'm going to pull off the grip and all tomorrow to see if it's still not smooth. I had crash bars so I'm assuming nothing inside would have been damaged to cause that? Just looking for guidance on where to follow if it doesn't end up being the something on the handlebar that is causing that.

I can't thank everyone enough for all the help!
 
Thread starter
Thanks peking!

I keep going back and forth with this meter. I found that Partfish has the 2014 meter assembly sitting at roughly $900. Would this be compatible with my 2013? Figure if I can get away without dealing with wiring for an aftermarket, it would make my life much easier.
 
The 2013 and 2014 meters are not the same. The 2014 models and up have a bi-directional serial data bus between the ECU and the meters. The 2013 does not have that. A wiring diagram will show the other differences.
 
Thread starter
That is quite a shame. I can't seem to find the whole assembly to purchase. Each one has the individual parts but not the whole assembly. I sent a note to Mr. T at Samurider to see if he could help me out but I don't couldn't find the part number for the whole assembly.

I appreciate the help Popgun!
 
Thread starter
Oh wow. Don't know how that didn't pop up when I was searching on ebay. Nice find! Looks like I would just need to get some covers if I got that one..."has a few cracks" lol.

How would mileage work since I thought I ready it is kept on the meter?

Looking at PartsFish for the whole assembly pieced it put me at around $1200-1300. If I do this and the covers, then it would bring me down to roughly $900.
 
Yeah, new meter you start with 0 miles. Old meter is whatever it has. I Don’t know if it can be changed, but board members here haven’t figured anything out. Or maybe there is a speedometer repair shop in your area. IDK, can’t really help with that.

Maybe there are more for sale on Ebay or Craigslist or whatever that are more pristine. I stopped at the first one shown. Or a general web search.
 
I've found other sellers for the 2014 model at about $760, but as LP says, there are differences. It could be done, but it would take some rewiring. With that, the only reason to consider a new 2014 setup is if no 2013 gauges were available at all.
I looked at the $499 used meter on eBay, but the only possibly salvageable part is $150-200 more new.
 
Thread starter
Got it. Appreciate the help so far. That's the only one I have come found so far but I'll keep searching. Depending on what Mr. T has for me, then I may just go new. At that price point, not sure if it's worth risking saving a couple hundred if I already have to replace pieces on it as it was also in a crash.
 
NickyV_imp said:
Here is an update on my current parts list that I'll have to replace. The biggest ones are the instrument cluster and the headlight. I'm ok with going aftermarket, moreso with the headlight as I would like a bit of an upgrade on that. Any recommendations on speedometer? Seems like going OEM would be roughly $1200.

Other than those, here is the below..
-Rear Swingarm adjuster
-Foot steps
-Left Crankcase Cover
-Handlebar/levers
-Turn Signals
-Mirrors

Overall, not too bad and maybe a good time to make some small changes that I've been looking at. Biggest question comes into the speedo. When looking online, when sites say they are compatible. What should I look out for? I imagine they aren't necessarily plug-n-play, but that's just an assumption. Again, appreciate all the help from everyone!
My bike has aftermarket mirrors that I want to replace with stock mirrors. I'd let them go for not a lot of money. They're in black housings in good condition and wide enough to clear my shoulders. If interested, I can provide a photo.
I had two Trailtechs speedos on my DR650 in humid north Florida and both had moisture clouding the screen.
 
One guy installed an Acewell meter from Dime City. Took a while to get it to work but there is a thread on it : http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=14297

Search on speed sensor with my name, or not my name and the threads will come up. He did have ABS and you don’t, so thats one less thing that has to work.
 
A while back a member needed the plastic housing parts for his gauges after a spill, and some options were found, but it was for a 2014. I had originally thought you might be able to buy one of the housing sets, then just buy OEM electronics, and go with a 2014 replacement. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3326779591...86&hash=item4d7526cdf4:g:RP8AAOSwtNFbGJ~q Or as in this thread: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=14409

As Lord Popgun and Pekingduck said, there are many differences between 2013 and 2014 gauge clusters. The electronics are different, the wiring is different, and even the mounting bracket ( $80 ) is different. Have you investigated whether or not there are any motorcycle salvage yards in your area?

Just the 2013 electronics is about $950 ( complete assembly with housing and bracket aparantly no longer available ) whereas the complete 2014 assembly with bracket is about $1066. Wiring is not my strong suit, so maybe some of the other members could look at that for you to see what it would take to go the 2014 route in terms of wiring.
 
2017EX_imp said:
A while back a member needed the plastic housing parts for his gauges after a spill, and some options were found, but it was for a 2014. I had originally thought you might be able to buy one of the housing sets, then just buy OEM electronics, and go with a 2014 replacement. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3326779591...86&hash=item4d7526cdf4:g:RP8AAOSwtNFbGJ~q Or as in this thread: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=14409

As Lord Popgun and Pekingduck said, there are many differences between 2013 and 2014 gauge clusters. The electronics are different, the wiring is different, and even the mounting bracket ( $80 ) is different. Have you investigated whether or not there are any motorcycle salvage yards in your area?

Just the 2013 electronics is about $950 ( complete assembly with housing and bracket aparantly no longer available ) whereas the complete 2014 assembly with bracket is about $1066. Wiring is not my strong suit, so maybe some of the other members could look at that for you to see what it would take to go the 2014 route in terms of wiring.
I initially thought there was a possibility of interchangeability between 2013 and 2014 gauges, but there are several unknowns to me. Aside from the 2014's serial data bus as LP mentioned, and the gear position indicator and low fuel light, the 2013 meter has a couple lines I am unsure of. Yellow stars on this chart show the differences, red the common wires. Locations of some pins needs to be changed, but can be done in the harness. Also note, there are differences between 2013 ABS and non-ABS gauges besides the ABS light - it's not just plug-and-play as far as I know.
 
Thread starter
The more I think about it, I may just bite the bullet and just order whole assembly from Partsfish as they have the lowest price. I feel that it would make my life easier and in the long run look the best since I haven't found any aftermarket speedo clusters that I really like. And not having to deal with any wiring is a plus. I appreciate all the support with this piece. Mr. T does have one for 950 plus shipping but is unsure if it's for 2013 or 2014, which means it could be for ABS or non as well. So it's still in the ball park price wise for a new assembly.

Good call on the salvage yard. I'm going to start looking into that to see if I can come up with anything nearby that can help.

One side part that I've been looking into is a black headlight trim ring. So just throwing it out there in case someone has found one.
 
NickyV_imp said:
The more I think about it, I may just bite the bullet and just order whole assembly from Partsfish as they have the lowest price. I feel that it would make my life easier and in the long run look the best since I haven't found any aftermarket speedo clusters that I really like. And not having to deal with any wiring is a plus. I appreciate all the support with this piece. Mr. T does have one for 950 plus shipping but is unsure if it's for 2013 or 2014, which means it could be for ABS or non as well. So it's still in the ball park price wise for a new assembly.

Good call on the salvage yard. I'm going to start looking into that to see if I can come up with anything nearby that can help.

One side part that I've been looking into is a black headlight trim ring. So just throwing it out there in case someone has found one.
CB1100s that end up in the salvage yards usually have bad gauges, headlight, left engine cover - the same stuff. If Mr T's gauges read primarily in mph, that may be a good possibility. He should also be able to tell if it's for a pre-2014 model by the chrome trim ring and green face. The ABS version has a light below the tach needle.

If you can wait a day or two, I may be able to find the status of complete 2013 assemblies.
 
Back
Top