Buying a CB1100 what am I changing first?

NickLHG_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Let’s be honest here, I haven’t much of a clue as to what this bike is made of. No carbs? Right? Fuel injected correct?
air filter?
What should I change on my bike when I get my new 2014 CB1100 dlx? I was thinking to start new tires and a k and n filter. Eventually down the road I plan to get a new exhaust system for sound. Because this will be a bike I plan to have forever.. any one have any thoughts?
 
Replace the tires (you'll find your choices to be limited), but keep the OEM air filter. It works fine. The DLX exhausts will be unobtanium in a few years, so if you decide to replace them, I'd suggest not selling them.
 
What LR said. The K&N is a waste of time and money. And yeah its fuel injected :)

I like Angel GT tires. Most here like Michelin PR3s (if you can find them) for high mileage. The Pirelli GTs grip like nobodies business but don’t last long. I don’t care. I want grip!

And the first mod should be RLETS or a padawan learner you will be.
 
Ride it a while, Nick! You will probably end up with a list of your own, which may evolve as you become more familiar with the machine and how it works for you. Mods have ranged from cafe to sidecar. I am fond of my windscreen, some think it ruins the aesthetics.
Kinda wish I had installed engine guards BEFORE dropping the bike in my driveway! :)

Ben
 
Ben70_imp said:
Ride it a while, Nick! You will probably end up with a list of your own, which may evolve as you become more familiar with the machine and how it works for you. Mods have ranged from cafe to sidecar. I am fond of my windscreen, some think it ruins the aesthetics.
Kinda wish I had installed engine guards BEFORE dropping the bike in my driveway! :)

Ben
I agree with ben.. take your time.. maybe browse around this forum for ideas ..
chuckk ..
 
I'd say ride it a few months determined not to change a thing. Let the bike speak to you. Do you really need to change x, y or z? Example, you might initially think its sound is too...what? Quiet? Low key? Maybe in a 1000 miles or 2 you'll find that you kind of enjoy its sound. Why not at least give it a good chance? You might save yourself some real $$$.
 
Slip-on foam grip covers! The Honda handle grips are hard and have a small diameter. They will cramp your throttle hand within an hour.

After the engine guards, consider the Honda rear rack. I have a small top box on my mine to hold my helmet and gloves.
 
The original Grip Puppies work very well on the handle bar grips and don't affect the CB's fashion. They'll also mute out any at speed buzz you may experience.
 
Yes, the Force must be in balance. PB helps keep it that way. :)
 
Hi Nick -

First change: Add CB1100forum.com to your favorites list.
Second change: RLETs

Ride the bike for 500 miles and then make some decisions.

Whereabouts in Illinois are you?

Welcome to the forum!
 
After 5 years it would be a good start to change the 2 brake fluid and 1 clutch fluid systems, ( should be done every 3 or so years ) brake fluid is hygroscopic which means it absorbs moisture from the air and that moisture then starts eating away your brake system from the inside, so if not already done so by the previous owner that would be a strategic move.

Also beware of k&n oil filters with a spot welded nut for "easy removal" of the filter, these have been known to break and conveniantly produce a lot of oil just where your rear wheel makes contact with the road, many video's on youtube on that subject and good;"i went on holiday and...." stories.

Each to their own but i wanted to change some things too but after a while just started to appreciate the bike just as it came out of the factory and changed nothing exept recently got a corbin seat for it which i use on the longer trips, recently drove for 9 hours and had zero issues as opposed to the (low) standard which gets uncomfortable after 2 hours for me.

Congratulations on the new bike.









'
 
Back
Top