buying a cb1100 in the next few days - decision making

arva_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
hi all, everyone here seems to be well versed in motorcycling and also the vote taken for cb1100 riders on this forum shows that i do fall with the majority, so i am going to do a brain dump... please validate or convince me that i am wrong.

i want a reliable hassle free bike that will start when i want it to start, have a linear throttle response, naked and good classic styling. i will be parking the bike with no-garage, under covers and in a covered garage during winter. in short i wanted a honda accord of bikes...

so i started with honda cb500f, but that felt too small and i do have a buell blast which is a 500cc; the nc700x was too high for me and a little over engineered.

ducati scramble was cool looking but spotty performance and very temperamental when it comes to maintenance (not hassle free)

i do not want to ride triumphs or other such bikes (too many people i know have them)...

then i rode the bmw r nine t; wanted to buy it, fabulous looking bike, rides well etc; but again i am worried about how it will hold up to my careless maintenance and msrp of $15k was a bit much. the bmw f800r similarly seemed too much.

yamaha fz09 was fun to ride, but a little too peppy (even owners steer people away from its uneven performance) and the insurance quotes are way too high...

finally i saw the cb1100 and loved the looks; seems a bit heavy but seems handlable; i am looking for 1 bike to rule them all; i will never be a dirt biker; nor do any wheelies; i will go out on weekend rides with friends and maybe overnight trips; i will drive into the city maybe once or twice a week during summers...

also i have not ridden a cb1100 as there are no demo bikes... would have loved a cb750; but i only want to buy a new nike...

any reason why i should not buy the cb100?

for those of you who drink wine; i am not looking for a fantastic but temperamental super tuscan; or a fancy bordeaux or an overengineered aussie wine; but a easy drinking california merlot that tastes good year on year... or more like a high quality blended scotch as opposed to single malts... (nothing wrong with a 16 year old lagavulin, but for everyday drinking with lots of ice in the backyard, a chivas will do)...

thanks for indulging me...
 
Don't walk...RUN!....to buy a CB1100. It will be the perfect bike for what you have described, as so many of us have found to be the case as well.
 
""""i do not want to ride triumphs or other such bikes (too many people i know have them)... """""


I have not actually seen another CB1100 on the road yet here in MN. I know other guys have seen another in the wild but it is a rare thing unless you are meeting up with other cb owners on a group ride (which don't exist where I live in MN). If you want something different, but familiar and Honda reliable I would say get it for sure. I considered a Triumph Bonneville and a Moto Guzzi V7 Special and though I still want the moto guzzi, I love my all black 2014 CB1100. It became my #1 option after reading many reviews on multiple bikes. This forum is great too, good guys with a lot of knowledge.
 
If you can handle the CB's weight you'll love it. I'd say it's the least rider friendly aspect of the bike. Only other downside is the oil change and valve check service intervals. But most find the valves in spec. The Moto Guzzi V7 would be a good choice if the weight worries you.
 
Yes, the CB1100 should be fine. Run a search through Cycletrader.com to see what's offered in your area. Most dealers put an ad there.
 
kevbroce_imp said:
If you can handle the CB's weight you'll love it. I'd say it's the least rider friendly aspect of the bike. Only other downside is the oil change and valve check service intervals. But most find the valves in spec. The Moto Guzzi V7 would be a good choice if the weight worries you.
----
I can speak to the weight.. after not riding for 34 years- I bought a CB1100 .. and quite frankly was terrified about the weight before I rode the bike- considering I was new to riding again after some time away.
Well- I got on the bike, and rode-and the weight was not an issue.
bike handled like magic. almost like it I was always riding it?
its incredibly balanced, well designed, handles amazing and you do not notice the weight ...at all (at least I didn't).
its a very "tame" bike-if that makes sense. You have to respect it-but it doesn't give you any surprises.
my first ride was almost 100kms-i just couldn't stop riding it...lol
I say this as a new rider. that's just my experience ...for what its worth. hope that helps :)
 
Thread starter
very helpful, thx. i rode a lot too in collage but then life/wife/kids happened and now i am looking to ride again... clearly with much smaller balls than when i was 20 :)

jrns_imp said:
kevbroce_imp said:
If you can handle the CB's weight you'll love it. I'd say it's the least rider friendly aspect of the bike. Only other downside is the oil change and valve check service intervals. But most find the valves in spec. The Moto Guzzi V7 would be a good choice if the weight worries you.
----
I can speak to the weight.. after not riding for 34 years- I bought a CB1100 .. and quite frankly was terrified about the weight before I rode the bike- considering I was new to riding again after some time away.
Well- I got on the bike, and rode-and the weight was not an issue.
bike handled like magic. almost like it I was always riding it?
its incredibly balanced, well designed, handles amazing and you do not notice the weight ...at all (at least I didn't).
its a very "tame" bike-if that makes sense. You have to respect it-but it doesn't give you any surprises.
my first ride was almost 100kms-i just couldn't stop riding it...lol
I say this as a new rider. that's just my experience ...for what its worth. hope that helps :)
 
I can’t provide a reason not to buy a CB1100.

It does everything well.

It’s definitely fast enough (unless you need to do 150 down to the Kwik e Mart)

It’s got the bottom end you’d expect from a liter bike.

It does two up like a big bike should.

Solid, confidence inspiring handling.

Heavy enough for excellent, comfortable and stable highway cruising.

It has styling that convinces everyone that it’s an old restored bike. Giving you the payoff of seeing the perplexed expression on their faces when you tell that that it's a new bike.

It lacks the kind of flash that, to my mind, would attract thievery.

I’d liken the CB to an HD Superglide with Japanese inline four power, handling and braking. A plus for me as I also like HD.
 
The CB is a very easy bike to ride. The generous low end torque and easy throttle response make it a pleasure. Other than actual valve adjustments (very few forum members bikes needed adjustment) which are costly, all other routine maintenance procedures are simple and easily handled at home. The brakes are superb, as good as many sport bikes. The CB has no handling vices, very steady and predictable in the twisties with good cornering clearance. Other than being a stunning bike to look at, it's not the best in any single category of performance but does everything well.
 
I would never liken a CB1100 to any Harley. Just not in the same smoothness class nor reliability class...

Yes, as others have said, RUN to buy the CB1100. It will be everything you want a bike to be and then some. You can ride it mild, and you can ride it spirited. It will be whatever you want it to be.

I know why you said you're looking for the Honda Accord of bikes- for the reliability. It will be reliable.
But one way the CB is NOT the Accord of bikes is in the Accord's boring personality.
 
Arva, after reading your bike requirements list it single handedly describes the CB1100. I have had mine only 10 days and already feel more confident on it than my lighter bikes. The CB really is a machine that would last most of us for ever. I know I will never sell mine. Friends who have ridden for longer than me on a variety of bikes all came back from a short ride on mine and just couldn't get over what an pleasure it is to ride and how easy. :biker:
Best of luck.
 
Thread starter
i am currently negotiating the price... nada.com says $1000 off the msrp is great, so ill look to buy it at that point... the only thing i am looking to add now are the crash bars... i am fine with the dealer making a fair profit as i could go and ride many demos before deciding...

thanks all... will let you know when i am a proud owner of the cb 1100...

Seabee_imp said:
Arva, after reading your bike requirements list it single handedly describes the CB1100. I have had mine only 10 days and already feel more confident on it than my lighter bikes. The CB really is a machine that would last most of us for ever. I know I will never sell mine. Friends who have ridden for longer than me on a variety of bikes all came back from a short ride on mine and just couldn't get over what an pleasure it is to ride and how easy. :biker:
Best of luck.
 
I hope I never have to sell mine. I was going through bikes all of the time a few years ago. It is a bike I hope my grandsons have after I am done. I have aCB Deluxe and it is I believe one of the most beautiful I have seen. It is great to ride and own. Neutral handling, great braking and great smooth power.
 
Honda also has a $1,000 rebate on '13. Not sure about '14, so ask, but not until you have negotiated from MSRP down. Dealers will try to make you feel good by giving you the rebate as their own effort, but the rebate is coming from factory, so they don't loose any money. They can do better than that. But do run, because at some point they'll all be gone.
I love my CB, and I don't think it's that heavy at all, and it comes off the side stand very easily. I will however, at some point, add a Guzzi V7 to the stable, as I want to own an Italian bike, and don't care about any of the Ducatis offered. The CB clearly offers more power than the V7, but the V7 is really nice for leasure rides, and can do freeways just fine. It has loads of character. Not trying to sell you the V7, just saying that I like both bikes, though the V7 is not as bulky. I will say that once you get the CB, you'll be sold and never want to get rid of it by choice.
 
Thread starter
as suggested by all of you, i did run; now i am a proud/poor owner of a 2014 std black cb 1100; put the deposit on my cc; will go tomorrow to do the paperwork and pick up the bike.

the price before tax + tag = $9,000; i know i probably left some money on the table, but the same dealership owns bmw, ducati & kawasaki and i got to demo all the bikes (or maybe it is just my rationalization on getting ripped off :) )

thanks all, will keep you posted on the first ride etc...
 
For and utmost , it's the decision, to ride a 4 cylinder.
The character of this motor, to me is the topic of the CB.
And it's presented in it's best way in my opinion.

Every other aspect, wether it's easy to drive with its weight, or not etc. comes second.

If you have an affinity for this bike, give it a try and there will no regrets, I assume.

But it's best to testride it, 'cause you should feel comfortable on the CB.
A point, which is not given to everyone without modification....

Good luck in finding your decision, I mean your CB!

Wisedrum
 
One thing jumped out at me from the OP's opening post.

CARELESS MAINTENANCE...will NOT cut it! ANY failure of tires, brakes, running gear, engine that could cause failure at speed...can kill you! What would be a nuisance in a car, would be something that could put you down and maybe kill you on a cycle.

I think you're wise to stay away from the BMW at this point. Honda is a conservative company - conservative in terms of their engineering, which stresses durability over top performance. And UNLIKE BMW, Honda maintenance and parts are mostly affordable.

Just the warranty service for the BMW Boxer engine cost the upper end of three figures.
 
Congratulations! You are sure to enjoy this bike.

As a few have mentioned, the CB is no lightweight. I realize that it is lighter than other bikes out there, but I can tell you that I don't want to go tacking on any additional weight to my bike if it can be avoided. The place that the weight really shows itself is when you need to move the bike around, be it in a parking area on a slope, a garage with little room, etc.. Once you're on the bike and rolling, it becomes very maneuverable. Just be aware of the weight in the previously mentioned situations and you should be fine

Chances are that when you pick up the bike they'll have it all ready for you to simply ride away care free. But should you have to first move it around for any reason just know that the bike will "lighten up" considerably once you get it moving even the slightest bit.
 
Back
Top