Burned out low beam. Need suggestions for new bulb

Frulk_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
On our ride Tuesday my buddy was on the CB. I was in front and noticed headlight was not on. Checked it out and high beams works but low beam is done for.

Anything out there folks are using that’s significantly better than the OEM bulb?

I never ride after dark but since I’m going to have to replace the bulb I might as well get something better if it’s available. Not interested in putting in a whole new light/bucket just a better bulb if one is out there for our CB.
 
Most commonf excuse for a Car Vs Motorcycle accident is that "they didn't see us"

I rather have 3 LEDs on my motorcycle and be a nuisance than be dead. Just my 2 cents

i don't drive with my high beams on with oncoming traffic but the 2 auxilary lights (LED) on my crash bars make a "Triangle of Light" which has been shown in studies to help other motorists better judge your distance and speed (when cutting you off or turning in front of you) and it makes you appear larger which helps with visibility.

My car came with HIDs standard and I swapped the high beams for LED when they started looking dimmer to me (HID slowly burn out over time). The high beams double as your daytime running/driving lights in my subaru FROM THE FACTORY. I get flashed often but I cant blind someone during the daytime, they're just very aware that I'm there which has its benefits.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
m in sc_imp said:
you cant see what you aren't looking at no matter how bright the lights are. that's a fact, and an often overlooked one. a triangle of light sos fine as long as they are aimed ok.

My buddy used to do that until i made him ride ahead of me for a few miles on a trip with my high beam glaring in his rear view. he stopped after that. daylight, you absolutely can blind someone with a high beam if its aimed in their eyes.

No one is going to change their habits, but its worth taking into consideration.
Yea in my case I dont use the highbeam on the bike unless its nighttime and noone in front of me.

That triangle of light was a night and day difference (no pun intended) for riding at night. I actually wanna go to either bigger auxilary lights or add maybe a small 4-6 inch bar somehow near the horns on the CB.

We have a TON of deer out this way and some of the towns further east are up to 241 car vs deer accidents just this year. So I like having alotttt of light down range and to the sides if I ride at night. Luckily we don't have to deal with Moose like up North. When I get north of the white mountains we just don't ride at night because the Moose are too dangerous.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
1973cb750_imp said:
the cb head light is far better than all my previous lights
i do plan on runing some fog lights though
It was def worth adding the lights. I just went with some random Ebay ones but I want to upgrade to Clearwater. The Darla model is recommended for our bike but I would like to try and fit the Ericas

Clearwater Lights LED Motorcycle Lights and Off-road Vehicle

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
The low beam on the OE bulb burned out on my CB1100 after less than a year (probably defective). I replaced it with a standard run of the mill Sylvania H4 and that bulb has been in there for 9 years with a headlight modulator. I carry a spare under the seat, but don't think I'll ever need it!
 
mvk24_imp said:
1973cb750_imp said:
the cb head light is far better than all my previous lights
i do plan on runing some fog lights though
It was def worth adding the lights. I just went with some random Ebay ones but I want to upgrade to Clearwater. The Darla model is recommended for our bike but I would like to try and fit the Ericas

Clearwater Lights LED Motorcycle Lights and Off-road Vehicle

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
It was def worth adding the lights. I just went with some random Ebay ones but I want to upgrade to Clearwater. The Darla model is recommended for our bike but I would like to try and fit the Ericas

Clearwater Lights LED Motorcycle Lights and Off-road Vehicle

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
i have some just need to mount them been lazy and wanting to ride not wrench
 
1973cb750_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
1973cb750_imp said:
the cb head light is far better than all my previous lights
i do plan on runing some fog lights though
It was def worth adding the lights. I just went with some random Ebay ones but I want to upgrade to Clearwater. The Darla model is recommended for our bike but I would like to try and fit the Ericas

Clearwater Lights LED Motorcycle Lights and Off-road Vehicle

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
It was def worth adding the lights. I just went with some random Ebay ones but I want to upgrade to Clearwater. The Darla model is recommended for our bike but I would like to try and fit the Ericas

Clearwater Lights LED Motorcycle Lights and Off-road Vehicle

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
i have some just need to mount them been lazy and wanting to ride not wrench
It was def worth adding the lights. I just went with some random Ebay ones but I want to upgrade to Clearwater. The Darla model is recommended for our bike but I would like to try and fit the Ericas

Clearwater Lights LED Motorcycle Lights and Off-road Vehicle

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
i have some just need to mount them been lazy and wanting to ride not wrench I ran mine to the aux wire in the headlight bucket the factory put in for the heated grips so it wasn't that bad


2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
mvk24_imp said:
m in sc_imp said:
you cant see what you aren't looking at no matter how bright the lights are. that's a fact, and an often overlooked one. a triangle of light sos fine as long as they are aimed ok.

My buddy used to do that until i made him ride ahead of me for a few miles on a trip with my high beam glaring in his rear view. he stopped after that. daylight, you absolutely can blind someone with a high beam if its aimed in their eyes.

No one is going to change their habits, but its worth taking into consideration.
Yea in my case I dont use the highbeam on the bike unless its nighttime and noone in front of me.

That triangle of light was a night and day difference (no pun intended) for riding at night. I actually wanna go to either bigger auxilary lights or add maybe a small 4-6 inch bar somehow near the horns on the CB.

We have a TON of deer out this way and some of the towns further east are up to 241 car vs deer accidents just this year. So I like having alotttt of light down range and to the sides if I ride at night. Luckily we don't have to deal with Moose like up North. When I get north of the white mountains we just don't ride at night because the Moose are too dangerous.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Yea in my case I dont use the highbeam on the bike unless its nighttime and noone in front of me.

That triangle of light was a night and day difference (no pun intended) for riding at night. I actually wanna go to either bigger auxilary lights or add maybe a small 4-6 inch bar somehow near the horns on the CB.

We have a TON of deer out this way and some of the towns further east are up to 241 car vs deer accidents just this year. So I like having alotttt of light down range and to the sides if I ride at night. Luckily we don't have to deal with Moose like up North. When I get north of the white mountains we just don't ride at night because the Moose are too dangerous.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
A bud of mine's Dad hit a moose while riding his Road King in Michigan. The moose jumped up and ran off. It totaled the bike. Dad was bruised and scraped up good but no broken bones. In my 50 years of riding, I've only been flashed once.
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
m in sc_imp said:
you cant see what you aren't looking at no matter how bright the lights are. that's a fact, and an often overlooked one. a triangle of light sos fine as long as they are aimed ok.

My buddy used to do that until i made him ride ahead of me for a few miles on a trip with my high beam glaring in his rear view. he stopped after that. daylight, you absolutely can blind someone with a high beam if its aimed in their eyes.

No one is going to change their habits, but its worth taking into consideration.
Yea in my case I dont use the highbeam on the bike unless its nighttime and noone in front of me.

That triangle of light was a night and day difference (no pun intended) for riding at night. I actually wanna go to either bigger auxilary lights or add maybe a small 4-6 inch bar somehow near the horns on the CB.

We have a TON of deer out this way and some of the towns further east are up to 241 car vs deer accidents just this year. So I like having alotttt of light down range and to the sides if I ride at night. Luckily we don't have to deal with Moose like up North. When I get north of the white mountains we just don't ride at night because the Moose are too dangerous.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Yea in my case I dont use the highbeam on the bike unless its nighttime and noone in front of me.

That triangle of light was a night and day difference (no pun intended) for riding at night. I actually wanna go to either bigger auxilary lights or add maybe a small 4-6 inch bar somehow near the horns on the CB.

We have a TON of deer out this way and some of the towns further east are up to 241 car vs deer accidents just this year. So I like having alotttt of light down range and to the sides if I ride at night. Luckily we don't have to deal with Moose like up North. When I get north of the white mountains we just don't ride at night because the Moose are too dangerous.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
A bud of mine's Dad hit a moose while riding his Road King in Michigan. The moose jumped up and ran off. It totaled the bike. Dad was bruised and scraped up good but no broken bones. In my 50 years of riding, I've only been flashed once.
Yea in my case I dont use the highbeam on the bike unless its nighttime and noone in front of me.

That triangle of light was a night and day difference (no pun intended) for riding at night. I actually wanna go to either bigger auxilary lights or add maybe a small 4-6 inch bar somehow near the horns on the CB.

We have a TON of deer out this way and some of the towns further east are up to 241 car vs deer accidents just this year. So I like having alotttt of light down range and to the sides if I ride at night. Luckily we don't have to deal with Moose like up North. When I get north of the white mountains we just don't ride at night because the Moose are too dangerous.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
A bud of mine's Dad hit a moose while riding his Road King in Michigan. The moose jumped up and ran off. It totaled the bike. Dad was bruised and scraped up good but no broken bones. In my 50 years of riding, I've only been flashed once. Yes those Moose are no joke, I've never been flashed on the bike. The car is where i get flashed sometimes but I just flash them back to show them i don't have my high beams on. My headlights are angled properly according to the factory procedure, they're just bright.

I have ditch lights and a 20 inch triple row LED bar also for when noone else is in front of me. Comes in handy camping, mountain roads, snow, etc.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Back
Top