bummer..nail in ST tire

A forgotten experience, eh, Ferret? :rofl:
 
It really does seem true that new tires just have bad luck. This has happened to me at least 2-3 times over my motorcycling life.
With the CB, I put about 9,000 trouble-free miles on the original Dunlops. Then I get these awesome new Angel GTs....and within 300 miles I had a dang screw in the back!

I'm very lucky, in that the screw didn't actually puncture the tire, but it was certainly in there at least a 1/4 inch.
I rode around for a few days, checking pressure every morning with no bad results. Still, I wasn't feeling all that great about it.

Finally, I dismounted the tire to inspect the inner lining, and once I saw there was absolutely no sign of a puncture or deformation, now I don't have to worry anymore.
Glad I didn't need anything, but I will say I've had great, long-term luck with the sticky rope plugs.
 
Thread starter
Picked up ST this morning about 9:30 and went for a rear tire scrub in ride. I went around every pebble I saw on the road lol. Hopefully done with that. leaving for West Virginia Friday and don't need any more trouble. Now just need to change oil/filter and rear end oil as it's due/

CB is also due for oil/filter and while I was at shop I picked up some Honda spray chain cleaning lube. Will give it a try and may do a pictoral How To on it, just for grins.
 
Let's hope that tyre carries the ST all the way to 100,000!
 
Thread starter
LOL no way it might carry it to 84,000 though. It will take several more $200 tires to make it to 100K
 
Thread starter
Hey popgun also on todays list after cleaning CB chain is oil and filter for ST. Going to try your plastic bag over the filter trick. Will let you know how it works.
 
I have to say those guys on the ST board made changing the oil and rear gear oil sound like the J.O.B. from H**. I got done and was like, thats it?

I hope the bag trick works for you. It did for me. I just broke the filter loose put a bag over it and spun it off. I might have used too big a bag as I had a leaf bag available and used it :)
 
Thread starter
Lol I'll be using a gallon freezer bag

Compared to the CB it is the job from H. Did you remove lower left body panel?
 
Thread starter
well popgun I'd have to give the plastic bag trick a 5 or 6 out of 10. Still got oil everywhere ..exhaust pipe, lower fairing, centerstand, cardboard under bike, both hands lol
 
Mr. ferret...a "trick" I learned on the ST-****** forum quite some time ago for oil/filter change which does NOT require removing any fairing(s) for ST1300 or ST1100 is to simply remove the left tip-over plastic... one screw... then... with due diligence... even my rather xl-large hands can get the appropriate strap-wrench or more preferably the filter cap socket on the filter & with small joisting the filter can be back-torqued and then to hand spin it off... you might give this a try next time if you are inclined not to want to remove any fairing... as I am inclined to not want to do... wish I could remember who posted this tip on the ST forum... but it as been some years past...
 
Thread starter
Silverbub..I will have to check i to that, however I have no issue getting the filter off, I can actually lay beside the bike on the left side reach up there and unscrew it no prob (or reinstall one no prob). The issue I have is oil getting all over everything as soon as I start unscrewing it. If I could figure how how to keep the oil contained it would be a wonderful thing lol
 
Ferret, like you I didn't take anything off. As soon as it loosened enough to be able to spin it by hand I put the big bag around it and spun it off. It was hot! Didn't get oil as over everything though. I guess different methods work better for different people :)
 
Back
Top