bummer..nail in ST tire

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
woke up this morning, did my due diligence here then had some errands to run. Hadn't checked tire pressures in a few days so thought it prudent. I was going to take the ST since I was picking up a bunch of stuff that could be stuffed in side bags and trunk. Anyhow front 41#..down a pound. Normal. Rear 12# WHATTT??? That can't be right,( I just rode it 58 miles yesterday afternoon) check again 12#. Hmm add air 26#, add air 38#..yep Houston we have a problem. Roll it outside and heave it up on centerstand. Walk around back, roll it 1/4 turn and whats this shiny thing? Crap head of a nail. Get out my plug kit, pull the nail, ream the hole, insert plug, inflate to 42#. Roll it back in garage, heave it onto centerstand and roll out CB. Both tires good on pressure so rode the CB 110 miles today and picked up some stuff but not all.

Tonight I get out ST and measure pressure. 42#. Good. Fire it up and take a 42 mile test ride stopping about every 10 miles to check pressure. Never lost a pound.

Now added to my list tomorrow is go order a new tire. A trip to West Virginia in 2 weeks, a trip to Kentucky in 4 weeks and then the Mens Fall Trip in 6 weeks and I don't want to do them on a plugged tire.

Dang $250 nail
 
I know there are many opinions on this ferret but I would put a sticky rope plug in that tire and ride it till it's worn out. I used a sticky rope plug from NAPA on the rear tire of my CB because of a puncture just before the Bland trip. Still holding with no problems. I have the same patch in a tire on my Nissan truck. Patch has been holding good now for over 90,000 miles (97,000 miles on the OE tires and they have at least another 5K in them). Motorcycle tire plugs are temporary but the rope patch is permanent.
 
Bummer. The newer the tire, the greater the propensity to pick up a nail, right? That's been my experience. It never seems to happen to bald tires.
 
What tires do you use on the ST, Ferret.
 
Thread starter
Birds, I've had great luck with the gummy worms I use for plugging a tire, and if I were riding this bike by myself I would run it until worn out, as I have done in the past. But for the Kentucky trip I will have my wife on the back and on the Men's Fall Trip depending how it works out, my nephew who is flying in from Nevada for the trip could be riding the ST. I will take a chance with me, but I can't justify taking a chance with them.

Popgun I run Michelin Pilot Road 4 GTs on the ST

Longranger,.....yep just put these on 2 months ago, less than 3,000 miles on it.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Birds, I've had great luck with the gummy worms I use for plugging a tire, and if I were riding this bike by myself I would run it until worn out, as I have done in the past. But for the Kentucky trip I will have my wife on the back and on the Men's Fall Trip depending how it works out, my nephew who is flying in from Nevada for the trip could be riding the ST. I will take a chance with me, but I can't justify taking a chance with them.

Popgun I run Michelin Pilot Road 4 GTs on the ST

Longranger,.....yep just put these on 2 months ago, less than 3,000 miles on it.
I can well understand your reasons.

It's true about new tires. When I put a set of PR2's on my Guzzi Breva, I did not get even 1K miles before I had a puncture.
 
Bummer. Good thing you checked the tire pressures before you left though. It's a lesson for all of us.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
You know it happens to many of us, and it is a bummer, only because mc tires are so dang expensive. For me, I wasnt on a trip. I wasnt broken down on the side of the road, It didnt require a tow, and I had another bike to ride. So it wasn't real disruptive in my life, just an inconvenience.

Next week it will get a new tire and this will soon be a forgotten experience.
 
The ferret_imp said:
You know it happens to many of us, and it is a bummer, only because mc tires are so dang expensive. For me, I wasnt on a trip. I wasnt broken down on the side of the road, It didnt require a tow, and I had another bike to ride. So it wasn't real disruptive in my life, just an inconvenience.

Next week it will get a new tire and this will soon be a forgotten experience.
Around here? I doubt it. In a couple of years someone will say 'Do you remember the time the Ferret got a nail in the tyre of his CB.'

Someone else will say, 'Nah, I think it was the ST.'

And popgun will say, 'Here you go ... bummer..nail in ST tire'
 
You know me well. :rofl:
 
redbirds_imp said:
I know there are many opinions on this ferret but I would put a sticky rope plug in that tire and ride it till it's worn out. I used a sticky rope plug from NAPA on the rear tire of my CB because of a puncture just before the Bland trip. Still holding with no problems. I have the same patch in a tire on my Nissan truck. Patch has been holding good now for over 90,000 miles (97,000 miles on the OE tires and they have at least another 5K in them). Motorcycle tire plugs are temporary but the rope patch is permanent.

97,000 miles on OEM tires on your Nissan truck? Holy smokes!!
:thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Well, rode down to order new tire yesterday. On way home I felt rear end getting squirrely and knew I was getting a flat. Weird since I rode it 42 miles the night before on the plug and hadn't lost any air. Made it home and threw it on center stand and checked pressure 0. Filled it to 42. Checked plug, not leaking.

This morning go out and check pressure. 0. Refill to 42, throw carpet on floor and lay down behind it and check plug. Not leaking. Must be another puncture somewhere. Roll tire around and feel air escaping. Found a slice in tire. Nuts. This tire is cursed. Put in 1 plug. Still leaking. Put in second plug. Still leaking, put in 3rd plug (my last one) and barely leaking. Hopefully it will hold enough air to get me to shop 9 miles away when my new tire comes in Tues or Wed.

Oh well, just glad it happened at home and didn't happen when I was in the boonies in Montana or Texas or Idaho or Utah or New Mexico or Maine or ......
 
Bummer! If it wasn't for bad luck you would have no luck at all with that tire!
No question about needing a new tire now.
 
Sorry to hear about the double bad luck with the ST tire. If you have to suffer a second puncture as soon as you did, I guess it's better that the same tire gets it rather than a newly mounted rear or the front. Still, be extra safe on the way to shop, and good luck!
 
Cormanus_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
You know it happens to many of us, and it is a bummer, only because mc tires are so dang expensive. For me, I wasnt on a trip. I wasnt broken down on the side of the road, It didnt require a tow, and I had another bike to ride. So it wasn't real disruptive in my life, just an inconvenience.

Next week it will get a new tire and this will soon be a forgotten experience.
Around here? I doubt it. In a couple of years someone will say 'Do you remember the time the Ferret got a nail in the tyre of his CB.'

Someone else will say, 'Nah, I think it was the ST.'

And popgun will say, 'Here you go ... bummer..nail in ST tire'
Around here? I doubt it. In a couple of years someone will say 'Do you remember the time the Ferret got a nail in the tyre of his CB.'

Someone else will say, 'Nah, I think it was the ST.'

And popgun will say, 'Here you go ... bummer..nail in ST tire'
That is funny right there! :rofl:

Mickey, that tire is cursed. GET RID OF IT, PRONTO!!
 
Well... that extra "slice" in the tire saved me from posting that you might consider saving the tire for when you wore out the soon to be mounted new one!... glad that the slice occurred on the already "tainted" one!... your short 9 miles to dealer should go uneventful... just do not get pulled over due to speeding in order to beat the leakage to 0 psi!!
 
Thread starter
Warmed the bike up in the garage. When it hit 2 bars I shot some air into the tire and took off. Hit most of the lights green and made it down there with a little a couple of pounds of air to spare. Dropped bike off. Will pick it up with new tire tomorrow. They lent me a Yamaha fz6-R to ride home and back in the morning. Nice little bike but it requires 5-6K revs to run the speed limit of 55-60. Heck my CB is only turning 3750 rpms at 80 lol. I felt just like Cip or Ulvetanna running all those rpms. :rofl:
 
Back
Top