Bummed by a test ride

co6aka_imp said:
I am trying to figure out if this is the bike I will enjoy; it's no easy task, given very limited exposure to it.. While i loved it, there were some things I didn't like... One thing that stood out clearly was the raspy, unhappy tone of the engine as it revved up past the sweet spot of 3K rpm. That was a very tangible impression; most of the videos that i watched seemed to confirm it. So I asked here, and got a bit more than I asked for :D

From the feedback, and esp. the videos of aftermarket ehaust, it seems that the Staintune pipe is perfect solution to my problem. I had been considering a black Moriwaki pipe on an all-black bike for aesthetic purposes, but, for me, the Staintune sound can't be beat: it is simply music to my ears.

i also know what subtle customizations to do, to make the bike visually perfect to my tastes, so we are getting there. There are some other concerns about the ride itself that I am not sure I should be asking... Some people are taking it here a bit personal. Maybe a second test ride would help.
A wise decision indeed.
Not sure why some owners take personal offense to any criticism at the CB? Perhaps our wounds are still fresh from previous intruders who dared to question such a fine machine.
I am not as smart a buyer as yourself. I saw her face, and I'm a believer. No test ride needed. Glad she met all my expectations and some. An extra farkle like a Staintune is just icing on the cake for those who can afford it. :-(


Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk now Free
 
Oh no, not another Monkees reference..arrgghh another tune stuck in my head
 
I would agree that one doesn't have to do anything with the stock CB as it is a great machine just as it comes from the factory. That said, there is definitely an emotional side to a motorcycle purchase and the motorcycle experience overall. As I've said many times before, we all like different things. For me, part of that emotional experience involves sound. I don't mean loud pipes, because the Staintune isn't really all that much louder than the stock setup. The tone of the exhaust, on the other hand, really matters to me. I love the tone of the Staintune and while I'm sure it doesn't really change how the engine responds to higher revs, I can tell you that my engine has spent more time above 4K RPM because of the Staintune just because I like the overall experience better. Of course, my average gas mileage has dropped a bit as well, but all in all I'm happier with the Staintune installed. I might enjoy a bit better throttle response from the Staintune, but that's about the only other thing that I think it brings to the game. Like I said, the engine is still doing it's thing just as it did before the Staintune was installed.
 
I bought my 1100 about 2 months ago, and I own an Aprilia Tuono V4. They aren't comparable rides. The Tuono is a hooligan, 175 hp, twisties and track day bike.
The 1100 is the wonderful joy of riding bikes I grew up on. Comfortable and smooth both in the engine and ride. I rode today about 250 miles, mostly on freeway, ran the rpm's between 4k and 5k (70mph to 80mph). Thats how my CB750-4 ran in the 70's. It does sound a little strained but handled it with ease.
 
Guth_imp said:
I would agree that one doesn't have to do anything with the stock CB as it is a great machine just as it comes from the factory. That said, there is definitely an emotional side to a motorcycle purchase and the motorcycle experience overall. As I've said many times before, we all like different things. For me, part of that emotional experience involves sound. I don't mean loud pipes, because the Staintune isn't really all that much louder than the stock setup. The tone of the exhaust, on the other hand, really matters to me. I love the tone of the Staintune and while I'm sure it doesn't really change how the engine responds to higher revs, I can tell you that my engine has spent more time above 4K RPM because of the Staintune just because I like the overall experience better. Of course, my average gas mileage has dropped a bit as well, but all in all I'm happier with the Staintune installed. I might enjoy a bit better throttle response from the Staintune, but that's about the only other thing that I think it brings to the game. Like I said, the engine is still doing it's thing just as it did before the Staintune was installed.
Guth, I would say that is a common condition for us Staintune addicts. I didn't want one, but when I got it I loved it.

And co6aka, as far as buying a CB goes, the journey for affirmation of ones life choices can be a long and winding road. It will never disappear. I've seen that road before.

Cheers
 
Make up your mind Pterodactyl! Are you channelling Peter Tork or Paul McCartney?
 
SanPete_imp said:
co6aka_imp said:
I am trying to figure out if this is the bike I will enjoy; it's no easy task, given very limited exposure to it.. While i loved it, there were some things I didn't like... One thing that stood out clearly was the raspy, unhappy tone of the engine as it revved up past the sweet spot of 3K rpm. That was a very tangible impression; most of the videos that i watched seemed to confirm it. So I asked here, and got a bit more than I asked for :D

From the feedback, and esp. the videos of aftermarket ehaust, it seems that the Staintune pipe is perfect solution to my problem. I had been considering a black Moriwaki pipe on an all-black bike for aesthetic purposes, but, for me, the Staintune sound can't be beat: it is simply music to my ears.

i also know what subtle customizations to do, to make the bike visually perfect to my tastes, so we are getting there. There are some other concerns about the ride itself that I am not sure I should be asking... Some people are taking it here a bit personal. Maybe a second test ride would help.
A wise decision indeed.
Not sure why some owners take personal offense to any criticism at the CB? Perhaps our wounds are still fresh from previous intruders who dared to question such a fine machine.
I am not as smart a buyer as yourself. I saw her face, and I'm a believer. No test ride needed. Glad she met all my expectations and some. An extra farkle like a Staintune is just icing on the cake for those who can afford it. :-(


Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk now Free
Same here. Years of wanting one. Months of watching videos, doing research, etc. but no test ride before buying. Brought it home yesterday, in the rain, and woke up this morning to rain. So, my brand new one sits in the garage, and I have still never ridden one! Sure hope I like it... :P

Truth be told, I have no doubts. That bike moves my soul just sitting in the garage staring at it!
 
DGShannon_imp said:
SanPete_imp said:
co6aka_imp said:
I am trying to figure out if this is the bike I will enjoy; it's no easy task, given very limited exposure to it.. While i loved it, there were some things I didn't like... One thing that stood out clearly was the raspy, unhappy tone of the engine as it revved up past the sweet spot of 3K rpm. That was a very tangible impression; most of the videos that i watched seemed to confirm it. So I asked here, and got a bit more than I asked for :D

From the feedback, and esp. the videos of aftermarket ehaust, it seems that the Staintune pipe is perfect solution to my problem. I had been considering a black Moriwaki pipe on an all-black bike for aesthetic purposes, but, for me, the Staintune sound can't be beat: it is simply music to my ears.

i also know what subtle customizations to do, to make the bike visually perfect to my tastes, so we are getting there. There are some other concerns about the ride itself that I am not sure I should be asking... Some people are taking it here a bit personal. Maybe a second test ride would help.
A wise decision indeed.
Not sure why some owners take personal offense to any criticism at the CB? Perhaps our wounds are still fresh from previous intruders who dared to question such a fine machine.
I am not as smart a buyer as yourself. I saw her face, and I'm a believer. No test ride needed. Glad she met all my expectations and some. An extra farkle like a Staintune is just icing on the cake for those who can afford it. :-(


Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk now Free
Same here. Years of wanting one. Months of watching videos, doing research, etc. but no test ride before buying. Brought it home yesterday, in the rain, and woke up this morning to rain. So, my brand new one sits in the garage, and I have still never ridden one! Sure hope I like it... :P

Truth be told, I have no doubts. That bike moves my soul just sitting in the garage staring at it!
Same here. Years of wanting one. Months of watching videos, doing research, etc. but no test ride before buying. Brought it home yesterday, in the rain, and woke up this morning to rain. So, my brand new one sits in the garage, and I have still never ridden one! Sure hope I like it... :P

Truth be told, I have no doubts. That bike moves my soul just sitting in the garage staring at it!
Me too. No test ride, but lots of research.

co6aka----For someone who has taken a test ride, you still have way too many questions and reservations, as well as dislikes for you to seriously consider buying one. Either take another test ride, or move on now to something else that suits you better.
 
Thread starter
Ok I had another test ride, this time on a different bike, but this is still staying on the subject. A beautiful RNineT... Oh yeah, I loved her at the first look, too. Who wouldn't. Dealers were not allowing you to even sit on the bike in the showroom, much less take one out. And of course they were all sold out for many months...

But today I had a chance to put quite a few honest miles on my buddy's brand new bimmer on some beautiful country roads. Gorgeous bike... even the gold fork is looking good now that the exhaust pipes are getting tinted with gold patina from the heat... who would have thought. Fantastic sound, great street presence, but she ain't the bike for me: too vibey, too harsh, too assertive... she needs to be ridden hard, and flogged a bit, to be enjoyed. The CB1100 is a sweetheart in comparison: light, nimble, smooth, easy to ride fast or slow. Bimmer is more raw, more brutish. At the end of the ride I was glad to get off. I don't know why these folks over @motorcycle.com are going so gaga over the bimmer: yes, she's got the character, but that ain't everythin' .. I have a feeling they're just sucking it up too much to the BMW badge. Oh well, to each his own.

And while my buddy adores his new toy, I'm sure as heck glad that I didn't have to part with 15 large (or large portion of it) to find out she ain't a bike for me. Altho she surely makes for great postcards from the countryside.
 
In that case you need to ride the Griso. Consider that the person giving you that advise owns both; the CB and the Griso. :)

Now the Griso is an acquired taste and if a dealer is not near by you will have to have a good level of self reliance. But she will reward you.
 
Sorry to dig this back up but I wanted to add that I know just how the OP felt -- and also lack the words to describe it. This bike just doesn't sound right over 4000 rpm -- that's the max shift point where I feel comfortable, and yet, I've had it up to red-line and it pulls strongly right up to it, but something just makes you feel not right above 4000, and 3000 is better yet. "Strained", "busy", "noisy" are all words that come to mind. I came from a NH 750, and a normal authoritative shift was at 6000, but it was perhaps the Nighthawk's relative lack of power that made that normal.

As for a bike that you would feel comfortable revving higher, but with more acceleration than the Nighthawk, they all seem to have the Sportbikes forward-leaning rider position. Certainly the CB1000R does.

The Valkyrie is very similar to the CB1100 in respect to the above -- even more so since normal rev range for it is 2000-3000. But somehow even it seems more comfortable revving up to red-line.
 
Me, too, MTC. I wonder if lack of sound absorbing water jackets around this air cooled, finned engine might be giving off some harshness or strained sound that some hear?
 
postoak_imp said:
Sorry to dig this back up but I wanted to add that I know just how the OP felt -- and also lack the words to describe it. This bike just doesn't sound right over 4000 rpm -- that's the max shift point where I feel comfortable, and yet, I've had it up to red-line and it pulls strongly right up to it, but something just makes you feel not right above 4000, and 3000 is better yet. "Strained", "busy", "noisy" are all words that come to mind. I came from a NH 750, and a normal authoritative shift was at 6000, but it was perhaps the Nighthawk's relative lack of power that made that normal.

As for a bike that you would feel comfortable revving higher, but with more acceleration than the Nighthawk, they all seem to have the Sportbikes forward-leaning rider position. Certainly the CB1000R does.

The Valkyrie is very similar to the CB1100 in respect to the above -- even more so since normal rev range for it is 2000-3000. But somehow even it seems more comfortable revving up to red-line.
I think I know what you're feeling. I also have a Nighthawk 750 and have compared them back to back numerous times. The CB11 has a mild, relatively high frequency vibe right around 4K rpms. It may feel like it's straining to some between 4K and 5K. If you run it up to about 5K, that feeling disappears. It's a quirk of the engine that is not present on the 750's powerplant.

On my '13, typical freeway cruising in top gear nets about 4250 rpm. I've found myself unconsciously avoiding that rpm range by not upshifting to 5th at highway speed. Consciously, I know it really isn't straining at all and I'll usually upshift when I notice it. It's just a trait of the engine that I've gotten used to and don't really think about much anymore, although since I still ride my CB750 regularly, I can definitely tell the difference between the two.
 
I ruminated on my morning ride about the initial dissatisfaction of the OP and I with this bike and I think it may be the old "more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow" syndrome. I should really get a hold of a TU250 and see what I think of it, as an experiment.

Anyway, I found a solution for this and that's to stay in first gear up to red-line, which takes me to 52 mph. This is giving me the run in the upper ranges that I was missing. Doing this 3 or 4 times per ride won't kill my gas mileage -- at least I hope not (we'll see).

I wouldn't spend any time trying to figure out the buzzy feeling I wrote about. This is probably just my reaction to a more powerful, torquey engine.
 
I like your style, postoak. I used to have a CBR250r and on the forum for that bike, folks were complaining about a buzzing/rattling sound at 5,000 - 6,000 rpm. I offered the solution of just running at 8000 rpm.
 
Back
Top