Bummed by a test ride

EmptySea_imp said:
I'll chime in that not only does the bike like to be in the 3000-4500 rpm range, it also does not seem "unhappy" near the red line. Not sure what the OP is feeling for the engine, but it's not unhappiness.
Maybe because he was coming off a 600 sport and Speed Triple, and the CB1100 is tuned for torque with a really linear power curve, it feels odd to not have a high RPM "hit". Perhaps a CB1000R or even BMW S1000R would have more appeal?
SteveO_imp said:
I also test rode a 2013 at my dealer. I'm a wing rider, but would like to downsize sometime in the next year. I did love the way the bike handled and rode, it was great fun:cool: Also the bike feels quite flickable compared to my 900+ lb Hondapotumus (2012 GL1800)

Negatives.... well no windshield... maybe I would get used to that. I probably need a better riding jacket for sure. Also the engine is definitely BUZZY. But... It did pull nice and strong, so maybe the buzz isn't all that bad

I gotta think about... Overall ... FUN!
Lol. An electric bike would feel buzzy compared to a Wing! :P
 
All these comments about mid-range cruising & pulling power have confirmed that I made the right decision to buy the CB1100. I had not ridden one, but all the reports, and ESPECIALLY this GREAT forum, convinced me to buy a 2014 CB1100 DLX. I pick it up this Thursday at Parkway Cycles outside Boston. I never thought I could be excited about a new bike at 65 years old !!
Thanks to everyone on this site for being so helpful. I'll report back after next weekend. Rocket
 
Hey, Rocket, good on you. Look forward to your report.

Co6aka, go with your gut. If it doesn't feel right, keep looking and find something that does. No point parting with all that cash and then harboring disappointment. When you figure it, let us know what you chose and show us a picture. Good luck.
 
rocket_imp said:
All these comments about mid-range cruising & pulling power have confirmed that I made the right decision to buy the CB1100. I had not ridden one, but all the reports, and ESPECIALLY this GREAT forum, convinced me to buy a 2014 CB1100 DLX. I pick it up this Thursday at Parkway Cycles outside Boston. I never thought I could be excited about a new bike at 65 years old !!
Thanks to everyone on this site for being so helpful. I'll report back after next weekend. Rocket
All I can say is Happy Thursday! I have 4 motorcycles and one scooter the CB1100
is my go too! You'll be very pleased. I look at my other bikes and scooter and always
take the CB best ride I have every owned. Heck I seldom drive my car anymore.

Thanks,
 
14CharlieBravo11_imp said:
Just got back from a 60 mile ride and saw this thread. After I installed the Street Shield I had noticed a buzz between 4,500 and 5,500 rpm, nothing real bad just a little annoying. So the other day when it was raining, I took the clamps off the handlebar and put some thin rubber strips between the handlebar and clamps to help with vibration, but didn't get to test until today.
So I took it out of town a ways into some twisties and held the rpms between 4,500 & 6,000 through the turns using mostly 2nd gear. The buzzing is now nearly gone, except for being faint at around 5,500. Anyway it handled flawlessly and seemed very happy to be in that range. After owning a CBR1000, I know the power is less, but like others have said the CB1100 is a more refined, peaceful ride; but also has some degree of the fun factor in it. Mostly I run near the 3,000 mark, + or - 500, and being older I don't need to go super fast anymore.
EmptySea_imp said:
I'll chime in that not only does the bike like to be in the 3000-4500 rpm range, it also does not seem "unhappy" near the red line. Not sure what the OP is feeling for the engine, but it's not unhappiness.
I'm in agreement with CharlieBravo and EmptySea. In twisties the bike is very happy at 4000 to 7500 RPM. It fades a little then to the red line. The torque curve reflects this. At higher RPMs the CB is responsive to throttle and has solid engine braking. The last is important as, particularly downhill, the bike carries a lot of momentum into the corners, especially when loaded for touring. Cruising in fifth at 3300 to 4000RPM the bike eats up the miles and it's an easy place to be, for both bike and rider. Still responsive to throttle in sweepers and over hill and dale, so it can induce, in me at least, a kind of lazy soporific complacency that, when I first got this bike, found me snatching at the brakes in downhill twisties to wash off both the kinetic and considerable potential energy the bike possessed. Solution? Get off the proverbial backside and get cracking. Make that engine work in 4th, 3rd, 2nd and (rarely) 1st throughout the full rev range. It's not a 'Blade but it's damn good. I say again, damn good.

co6aka, 'Bummed' by your test ride? Well, the test ride is like a chaste first kiss. You've still got the whole Kama Sutra waiting. Enjoy. If you can.

Cheers
 
Firstfour_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
I'll chime in that not only does the bike like to be in the 3000-4500 rpm range, it also does not seem "unhappy" near the red line. Not sure what the OP is feeling for the engine, but it's not unhappiness.
Maybe because he was coming off a 600 sport and Speed Triple, and the CB1100 is tuned for torque with a really linear power curve, it feels odd to not have a high RPM "hit". Perhaps a CB1000R or even BMW S1000R would have more appeal?
SteveO_imp said:
I also test rode a 2013 at my dealer. I'm a wing rider, but would like to downsize sometime in the next year. I did love the way the bike handled and rode, it was great fun:cool: Also the bike feels quite flickable compared to my 900+ lb Hondapotumus (2012 GL1800)

Negatives.... well no windshield... maybe I would get used to that. I probably need a better riding jacket for sure. Also the engine is definitely BUZZY. But... It did pull nice and strong, so maybe the buzz isn't all that bad

I gotta think about... Overall ... FUN!
Lol. An electric bike would feel buzzy compared to a Wing! :P
Maybe because he was coming off a 600 sport and Speed Triple, and the CB1100 is tuned for torque with a really linear power curve, it feels odd to not have a high RPM "hit". Perhaps a CB1000R or even BMW S1000R would have more appeal?
SteveO_imp said:
I also test rode a 2013 at my dealer. I'm a wing rider, but would like to downsize sometime in the next year. I did love the way the bike handled and rode, it was great fun:cool: Also the bike feels quite flickable compared to my 900+ lb Hondapotumus (2012 GL1800)

Negatives.... well no windshield... maybe I would get used to that. I probably need a better riding jacket for sure. Also the engine is definitely BUZZY. But... It did pull nice and strong, so maybe the buzz isn't all that bad

I gotta think about... Overall ... FUN!
Lol. An electric bike would feel buzzy compared to a Wing! :P
True Dat! - I am so spoiled by that silky smooth 6:beerchug:
 
I think the OP is just observing the trailing off power band beyond 7500-8000 rpm. I rarely go beyond that for this reason. I find the engine to be so rewarding to ride that wave of torque.

I do think that Honda might have a hit if they built aa higher performance version of the CB, like a CB1100 Super Sport. 100+ hp, higher spec suspension, and a little racier styling.
 
On this bike, there is no sense going beyond 7500 rpms because that is where peak power hits. At 8000 your are on the downswing power wise.

If Honda built a 100 HP version, people would just be asking for 110 hp or 120 HP or 130 HP.

Honda upped the horsepower on the 800 VFR which is a fine running motorcycle to 106 crank HP, (98 at rear wheel) and online it's getting blasted for being weak and uncompetitive.
 
co6aka_imp said:
Thanks! I used to have an I4 600 supersport some time back; I got tired of the riding position, and was not thrilled of the need to keep engine revved up to the moon to keep it happy. I had a Street Triple 675 for a while, and loved it, ESP the engine, but the bike got destroyed in the recent flood. I would go back to Triple, but I hate its new styling, and crave for a classic look. Recently i test rode an FZ09 and didn't care much for it. Styling was a major turn off, even the engine didn't inspire me: twist-n-go, no need to 'work' it, just plentiful (actually, too much) power on tap.
I also test rode a few big twins (Monster 1100 & BMW R9T; it pays to have a few friends with deep pockets ;) ) , but found that big twins are not my cup of tea. Don't like their 'agricultural' vibey motors.

The CB1100 sat in a showroom for quite a while, so they're motivated to move it... Hence they agreed to a test ride. I kinda miss it now, but perhaps you're right in a sense if the engine was is not meant to be rev-happy, and hang around 3K rpm most of the time, I may not end up falling in love.
If you're the kind of rider who likes to shift to make it seem like something is happening (nothing wrong with that), you'll hate the CB1100. You mentioned you don't like the need of having to constantly rev 600cc sport bikes to make them go, perhaps the SuzukiGSXR750 would suit? Or perhaps the Honda Interceptor?
 
the_undecider_imp said:
I think the OP is just observing the trailing off power band beyond 7500-8000 rpm. I rarely go beyond that for this reason. I find the engine to be so rewarding to ride that wave of torque.

I do think that Honda might have a hit if they built aa higher performance version of the CB, like a CB1100 Super Sport. 100+ hp, higher spec suspension, and a little racier styling.
I think the CB1000R is probably Honda's intended offering for buyers looking for that sort of thing.
 
At some point people will wake up to the fact that all bikes are not race bikes. They are built for a certain job (in the CB's case, a sort of jack of all trades retro bike for us folks reliving the glory years) and that for riding on the street, 90hp in most cases is too much power. Cars have finally reached that point (with some back sliding) where you buy what your circumstances dictate; street racing is just not part of the scene (for 99% of us).
 
Firstfour_imp said:
the_undecider_imp said:
I think the OP is just observing the trailing off power band beyond 7500-8000 rpm. I rarely go beyond that for this reason. I find the engine to be so rewarding to ride that wave of torque.

I do think that Honda might have a hit if they built aa higher performance version of the CB, like a CB1100 Super Sport. 100+ hp, higher spec suspension, and a little racier styling.
I think the CB1000R is probably Honda's intended offering for buyers looking for that sort of thing.
I think the CB1000R is probably Honda's intended offering for buyers looking for that sort of thing.
Agreed! I was thinking that the retro style of the CB11 tweaked just a little would be appealing. The CB1000R definitely lacks retro flair.
 
Firstfour_imp said:
gossman_imp said:
No one will ever be happy .02cents
Well, I may be the only one, but I love my CB just as it is. It is, for my purposes, perfect. Honda hit the bull's eye with me. :D
Well, I may be the only one, but I love my CB just as it is. It is, for my purposes, perfect. Honda hit the bull's eye with me. :D
+1
 
I think the OP may also be referencing the ease with which the bike revs into upper RPM territory. It has heavy all-steel internals that contribute to the long, "lazy revs" feel compared to a super sport with titanium rods and whatnot that fly to redline in seconds. Again, this is in keeping with the design and intent.

I personally have no problem ringing mine out (albeit mostly on country back roads), and she doesn't seem to mind either. Tricky minx... ;)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Firstfour_imp said:
gossman_imp said:
No one will ever be happy .02cents
Well, I may be the only one, but I love my CB just as it is. It is, for my purposes, perfect. Honda hit the bull's eye with me. :D
Well, I may be the only one, but I love my CB just as it is. It is, for my purposes, perfect. Honda hit the bull's eye with me. :D I'm pleased with mine, I personally have zero reason to wring out a few more hp. From where it is set from factory it's all diminishing return considering the cost per hp. If I wanted a sport bike I'd bought one. If I wanted a touring bike I'd buy one. This CB fits me just about right :biker:
 
Thread starter
Yes, 'lazy revs' would be a good way to call it. It is also the subtle feedback from the engine as it revs up, and the 'strained' sound it makes... And how it completely relaxes going back to 3000 rpm. Perhaps I was expecting a little sharper throttle response, and a more happier sounding engine as it revs up. Perhaps the gearing is more relaxed too, compared to more 'sporty' bikes?

I checked the dyno charts for the Cb1100, FZ09 (too sensitive/ too strong), and Triumph 675 (perfect feel), and the torque curve is flat for all; for the CB1100 torque starts sloping down at about 6500rpm, but pretty much all three bikes have a very linear power curve, with essentially the same slope. In fact, i did not feel the lack of power at any time, just its relaxed delivery and somewhat 'strained' sounding engine.
 
co6aka_imp said:
Yes, 'lazy revs' would be a good way to call it. It is also the subtle feedback from the engine as it revs up, and the 'strained' sound it makes... And how it completely relaxes going back to 3000 rpm. Perhaps I was expecting a little sharper throttle response, and a more happier sounding engine as it revs up. Perhaps the gearing is more relaxed too, compared to more 'sporty' bikes?

I checked the dyno charts for the Cb1100, FZ09 (too sensitive/ too strong), and Triumph 675 (perfect feel), and the torque curve is flat for all; for the CB1100 torque starts sloping down at about 6500rpm, but pretty much all three bikes have a very linear power curve, with essentially the same slope. In fact, i did not feel the lack of power at any time, just its relaxed delivery and somewhat 'strained' sounding engine.
Try a Trumpy Sprint GT. A 130hp at the wheels and if you tell me the 1050cc triple sounds 'strained', or lacks power or pull, I'll tell you your dreaming.

'strained'? The mind boggles at what that means anyway. Grunts from small rooms maybe. My CB can't sound strained - I got a Staintune, not a Straintune ;).

Cheers, and good luck with your next test ride.
 
Back
Top