Bummed by a test ride

co6aka_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi all, I took a '13 CB1100 for a quick spin. While I quite liked the bike, there was something that bummed me out. At the time I could not quite point a finger at it, but after the ride it eventually crystallized for me. It was the engine. I loved the bike's looks, the street presence, the handling, but I did not quite like the engine. It spools up quite fast and pulls quite nicely but it seemed not very happy swinging into higher RPMs. Sound was probably the only cue: it didn't sound quite strained, but sorta unhappy. Throttle roll-ons or downshifts were gently but surely hinting me at the magic number of about 3K RPM, where the engine appeared happiest. Thus i spent most of the ride at 3K RPM, out of the ~9K available on tach. I find that very odd, given that it's a four-banger.

I read about the bike a lot, including the fascinating discussion by the bike's designers and a review by Kevin Ash, where he simply adores the powerplant:
Ash On Bikes | Straight Talking

I also watched a bunch of YouTube videos which show the same engine behavior. So it seems there was a clear design intention for this. Is that what is meant to give the bike a 'character'? Frankly, i found it annoying and would much prefer an engine that sounds smooth and happy as it revs up.

Maybe someone could chime in on the subject. Thanks!
 
Doesn't sound like the bike for you. It is what it is, a bike never DESIGNED to run like you are suggesting, designed to ride around leisurely at about 3000 rpms.

Sounds like a 1000cc supersport like a GSXR or ZX14 would make you happier.
 
You most be coming off a sportbike. The CB has a very level torque curve from 2500 through 7500rpm's and has the same feel through that range. There is no HP bang at the 6000 rpm range.

My bike is happiest and puts out top HP in the 6.5 to 8K range but that's not what the bikes about. 3K is a bit lower than where i find the sweet spot to be.
 
Having owned the older SOHC CB models in my youth I found that this CB does everything I want and need and it does it extremely well. But I can understand that it isn't a sportbike, which is good because I didn't want a sport bike. You probably wouldn't be happy with it so perhaps take a look at the CBR1000.
 
Yep, mine runs like a turbine or generator at 2.5 to 3.5K RPM's, loves it there.
Every once in a while I'll do some close to redline shifts, but not like on my 900 Ninja
Was not sure if it was me getting older or the bike not liking it.....
It did notice with my flashed ECU I was up around 4K more than before
 
My '13 is very smooth, and seems very happy wherever I put it. And it pulls forcefully waaaay past 3,000. I spent about 5 hours last weekend all on secondary roads with continuous turns and elevation changes at 35-55 MPH and kept it at 4,000 RPM whatever gear I was using and it all went smoothly. I was still able to put more power on or take it off and go from 4,000 to 5,000 to 3,000 and back and still stay in that gear.

The weekend before, on very similar roads I tried to stay around 3,000-3,500 and I was up and down shifting much too often. Yes, the 3,000 "sweet spot" is there, but IMO, better to be at that RPM for steady cruising and it's too low if you're going to be speeding up and slowing down a lot.
 
Mine is smooth and revs easily to the red line. It doesn't pull as hard as the engine in a sport bike but then, it's not a sport bike. More like a "gentleman's express" with good torque throughout the rev range. Long rides on the interstate at a sustained 85+ are a piece of cake, the only downer being limited wind protection at that speed. I've owned bikes that had far more power but none as overall satisfying to ride. If you don't like the engine's unique character then it's not the bike for you.
 
IMO, It's not really designed to be wrung out in the higher revs like a sports bike. I recently rode a GSX-R 750, now that bike liked to be revved!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
It's a good thing that you found this out BEFORE buying one and being disappointed.
Just yesterday I saw a used '13 CB1100 listed with only 11 miles on it.
I figure either someone found out quickly that they didn't like it, or some significant other found out about the purchase made on the sly and laid down the law (joke !)..

I had a 2006 Speed Triple that I really wanted to love, but it never jelled. Sold it and used the funds as part of the CB1100 purchase. Now the CB1100 I'm thrilled with !
 
I don't know if you borrowed someone's bike or took a test ride at a dealership, but you are lucky you found out now that you two aren't a match made in heaven. I don't know if it's a regional thing or an individual thing or what, but Honda dealerships I've asked have said they do not allow test rides.
 
Different strokes for different folks. The CB 1100 has perhaps one of the smoothest transition of power from the right wrist to the rear wheel that I have ever experienced. Exactly what I was looking for combined with that 60's/70's appeal. Just what the Doctor ordered!
 
She likes it around 3K for sure, but is very willing to take to the higher rpm's too. There is some hidden power up there. The torque curve is quite flat making the bike a joy in the twisty bits and around town.

But if it does not feel right to you, perhaps a second ride in a few weeks to a month to see if your perception changes. But at first blush I suspect this is not a bike made for you. Which is not a bad thing, we're all different and with so many good bikes out there it would be crazy to "settle" for this bike when there are probably at least four other machines out there that would be better choices for you.

There are not very many bad bikes out there, but there are bad rider/bike combinations.
 
Everybody has different likes and dislikes. Me I could never own a Goldwing test drove one way to big. Others love them to death different strokes for different folks.
If I were you keep looking and by all means test drive your potential large investment.
I would never sell mine has the right stuff. My three complaints are.
:( No backrest.
:-/ I hate how the seat comes off.
:cool: The exhaust but took care of that.

;) Perfect bike and history will reflect that. Honda out did themselves with this one!
 
Thread starter
Thanks! I used to have an I4 600 supersport some time back; I got tired of the riding position, and was not thrilled of the need to keep engine revved up to the moon to keep it happy. I had a Street Triple 675 for a while, and loved it, ESP the engine, but the bike got destroyed in the recent flood. I would go back to Triple, but I hate its new styling, and crave for a classic look. Recently i test rode an FZ09 and didn't care much for it. Styling was a major turn off, even the engine didn't inspire me: twist-n-go, no need to 'work' it, just plentiful (actually, too much) power on tap.
I also test rode a few big twins (Monster 1100 & BMW R9T; it pays to have a few friends with deep pockets ;) ) , but found that big twins are not my cup of tea. Don't like their 'agricultural' vibey motors.

The CB1100 sat in a showroom for quite a while, so they're motivated to move it... Hence they agreed to a test ride. I kinda miss it now, but perhaps you're right in a sense if the engine was is not meant to be rev-happy, and hang around 3K rpm most of the time, I may not end up falling in love.
 
I dunno....I wring mine out, slow cruise around town, hitting the multitude of twisties we have around here or tooting along on my commute I have no real complaints. It does fall off a little up stairs, but that's fine as it never stops pulling. Besides its still and 11 sec bike from what I've read and that's nothing to sneeze at. :D
 
I think this really shows the importance of being able to test ride bikes. It always much more than the figures; it is the feeling you get out of it. As much as I love the CB11, I do also miss the violent push I used to get from the roadster twin I had before, but that might be less than 10% of the time when I ride these days. The remaining 90% I prefer the feeling I now get from the CB.

As far as revvy sports engines, I never liked them. One of my all time favourite bikes was the MV Agusta Brutale. I loved that bike, and could sit and look at it forever. But I hated the feeling the 750cc engine produced. Then the 910cc was a bit better, with some more low down torque, but it was never a match for the feeling I got from the Corsaro twin. So, in the end I never bought a Brutale, but I still like looking at them...
 
Just got back from a 60 mile ride and saw this thread. After I installed the Street Shield I had noticed a buzz between 4,500 and 5,500 rpm, nothing real bad just a little annoying. So the other day when it was raining, I took the clamps off the handlebar and put some thin rubber strips between the handlebar and clamps to help with vibration, but didn't get to test until today.
So I took it out of town a ways into some twisties and held the rpms between 4,500 & 6,000 through the turns using mostly 2nd gear. The buzzing is now nearly gone, except for being faint at around 5,500. Anyway it handled flawlessly and seemed very happy to be in that range. After owning a CBR1000, I know the power is less, but like others have said the CB1100 is a more refined, peaceful ride; but also has some degree of the fun factor in it. Mostly I run near the 3,000 mark, + or - 500, and being older I don't need to go super fast anymore.
 
I'll chime in that not only does the bike like to be in the 3000-4500 rpm range, it also does not seem "unhappy" near the red line. Not sure what the OP is feeling for the engine, but it's not unhappiness.
 
I also test rode a 2013 at my dealer. I'm a wing rider, but would like to downsize sometime in the next year. I did love the way the bike handled and rode, it was great fun:cool: Also the bike feels quite flickable compared to my 900+ lb Hondapotumus (2012 GL1800)

Negatives.... well no windshield... maybe I would get used to that. I probably need a better riding jacket for sure. Also the engine is definitely BUZZY. But... It did pull nice and strong, so maybe the buzz isn't all that bad

I gotta think about... Overall ... FUN!
 
Back
Top