brown powers motersporsts

OldF7Guy_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Dont even waste your time here. THis place is a joke. Wont let you test drive even if you showed up on an older Honda. Waste of time with used car salemen running it. lol Dont waste your time. Elizabethtown ky by the way. This place will fold up soon.
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
Dont even waste your time here. THis place is a joke. Wont let you test drive even if you showed up on an older Honda. Waste of time with used car salemen running it. lol Dont waste your time. Elizabethtown ky by the way. This place will fold up soon.
I had the same problem in southern Indiana....I drove to Garland Powersports (75 miles south) in Hopkinsville, KY and they let me ride both a CB1100 and a CB1000R out on the interstate to make up my mind!

They have great inventory too...the only one around with a 2014 CB1000R in stock.

I could have came home and bought the 1100 for the same price or cheaper, but since they let me ride them, I bought it there!

Garland Powersports | Electric Bikes for Kids, Pit Bikes & Quads UK
 
Can anyone seriously expect a person to spend $10K or thereabouts on a motorcycle without riding it?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Can anyone seriously expect a person to spend $10K or thereabouts on a motorcycle without riding it?
Its "Standard Operating Procedure" here for virtually all the Japanese/multi-line dealers. Their crap response to a demo request: "Buy the bike and if you're unhappy after riding it we will cancel the deal."

Harley will let you demo every bike in the store. The Ducati -Triumph dealer usually gas a demo bike of each model, certainly when a new model comes out.

Luckily for me there's Bike Week and Biketoberfest in Daytona where I can ride damn near anything. But if I didn't live a couple hours from there it would be very difficult to buy Japanese.
 
My dealer allowed me a test ride before purchase but only because I was known by them to be an experienced rider. One Honda dealer in my area allowed a test ride to a young man. He collided with a car while exiting their lot. Ask yourself if you would allow a perfect stranger to test ride your bike even though they had a motorcycle endorsement. I have allowed test rides on bikes that I have sold in the past but only after talking with the buyer and getting a feel for their level of experience.

Triumph, Harley and BMW dealers allow test rides. Japanese brand dealers rarely do.
 
In Evansville, IN I was able to test ride a Victory Vision, Kawasaki Concours 14 and a Can-Am Spyder (both the Victory and Can-Am were factory promoted so the dealer must have gotten some backing).

But both area Honda dealers say no. They lost a sale and the KY dealer gained one because of that policy. In KY I just had to have a MC endorsement, sign a wavier, wear a helmet and long pants.

I understand not letting a teenager test ride a crotch rocket, but old men baby boomers are pretty serious and have the money. Maybe they need to change their stock answer and size up their buyers before saying no.
 
I never tested the 3 new bikes I bought in my life, dealers would not allow it
86 600 ninja
86 900 ninja
2013 CB1100
It worked out for me, but could see where it might not for everyone...
 
I didn't test ride mine, but would you let a 26 year old with about 4 months riding experience test ride your bike? Probably not, I did't bother. I wasn't too worried about it. All everyone said about this bike was that it was easy to get along with, which was what I was looking for. That definitely turned out to be the case.
 
Never test rode any of the new bikes I bought. Never bought from a dealer that would allow it. I can't say I blame 'em. A friend of mine ran a dealership in the 80s. He used to allow test rides until some doofus not only crashed a brand new bike, but sued the dealership for letting him ride it.

Before buying a new bike I just research the hell out of it. I haven't been disappointed yet.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Can anyone seriously expect a person to spend $10K or thereabouts on a motorcycle without riding it?
This place is/was a used car lot and now a Honda motorcycle dealership. They have General Motors car dealerships so they have money. I asked the same question. Im local, Im on a clean 11 year old Honda, Im an old fart, and I am not paying 10-12K for anything without a thorough test drive. Its not like they are handing a kid the keys to a Corvette. I told him his prices were too high and I am not playing the payment game along with I can go drive a 50K truck anywhere in the county and he knows it. He just said its policy. Said good luck and out door I go.

I dont get it. Why is a motorcycle made out of gold and people are not allowed to test them?? This is the second time I have tried to coax them out of test drive yet they still blow me off. I thought they may remember me and finally hand me the keys knowing I fit the profile of a potential customer.
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Can anyone seriously expect a person to spend $10K or thereabouts on a motorcycle without riding it?
This place is/was a used car lot and now a Honda motorcycle dealership. They have General Motors car dealerships so they have money. I asked the same question. Im local, Im on a clean 11 year old Honda, Im an old fart, and I am not paying 10-12K for anything without a thorough test drive. Its not like they are handing a kid the keys to a Corvette. I told him his prices were too high and I am not playing the payment game along with I can go drive a 50K truck anywhere in the county and he knows it. He just said its policy. Said good luck and out door I go.

I dont get it. Why is a motorcycle made out of gold and people are not allowed to test them?? This is the second time I have tried to coax them out of test drive yet they still blow me off. I thought they may remember me and finally hand me the keys knowing I fit the profile of a potential customer.
Primarily because safely operating a motorcycle requires some specialized skills and you can't really tell if someone has the experience to handle a particular bike just by looking at them.

I can't rent a plane without taking a check out ride with the owner/operator's instructor. Just having a license isn't enough to be turned loose with a vehicle that I may or may not be able to operate safely.

I applaud those dealers that do allow test rides, but I can't really blame the ones that don't. It's a liability nightmare.
 
Thread starter
Flynrider_imp said:
OldF7Guy_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Can anyone seriously expect a person to spend $10K or thereabouts on a motorcycle without riding it?
This place is/was a used car lot and now a Honda motorcycle dealership. They have General Motors car dealerships so they have money. I asked the same question. Im local, Im on a clean 11 year old Honda, Im an old fart, and I am not paying 10-12K for anything without a thorough test drive. Its not like they are handing a kid the keys to a Corvette. I told him his prices were too high and I am not playing the payment game along with I can go drive a 50K truck anywhere in the county and he knows it. He just said its policy. Said good luck and out door I go.

I dont get it. Why is a motorcycle made out of gold and people are not allowed to test them?? This is the second time I have tried to coax them out of test drive yet they still blow me off. I thought they may remember me and finally hand me the keys knowing I fit the profile of a potential customer.
Primarily because safely operating a motorcycle requires some specialized skills and you can't really tell if someone has the experience to handle a particular bike just by looking at them.

I can't rent a plane without taking a check out ride with the owner/operator's instructor. Just having a license isn't enough to be turned loose with a vehicle that I may or may not be able to operate safely.

I applaud those dealers that do allow test rides, but I can't really blame the ones that don't. It's a liability nightmare.
Primarily because safely operating a motorcycle requires some specialized skills and you can't really tell if someone has the experience to handle a particular bike just by looking at them.

I can't rent a plane without taking a check out ride with the owner/operator's instructor. Just having a license isn't enough to be turned loose with a vehicle that I may or may not be able to operate safely.

I applaud those dealers that do allow test rides, but I can't really blame the ones that don't. It's a liability nightmare.
I can understand it on an airplane but they have to have insurance surely. I would sign something to say if I got killed my heirs would not sue them. Surely, there has to be a way around the lawsuits. I have "I want a Honda CB1100 written all over my forehead" if you are a sharp salesman and profile me. I fit the guys that buy them perfectly. But, these guys are used to running a used car lot and want to talk payments, extended warrantys and other BS before you can get a word out of your mouth. They are rookies in the MC business and dont have a clue. Thats why I think the place is just a joke. I was hoping to have a better experience right here locally but like everything else I have to buy it on the internet or way out of town. People must think we are all idiots and dont shop online and do our homework before a major purchase. Its not like I am buying a new washing machine or something.
 
Before I test rode them, both the 2014 CB1000R and the 2014 CB1100 I swear I was ready to bring the CB1000R home....it had all the specs I wanted to see....120HP, mono shock, single arm, big fat rear tire, water cooled, all the goodies.

I even told the dealer before riding them, I had my mind set on the CB1000R http://powersports.honda.com/2014/cb1000r.aspx, it sat up straight, more like the 1100 and less like the CBRs.

But after riding them, the CB1100 won, the CB1000R was a rocket no doubt, but it just didn't fit my body. Plus it seemed like I was sitting on top of the gas tank, looking down. The big leverage handle bars given by the CB1100 reminds me of the bull dogging handle bars on motocross bikes. I think that makes it seem so nimble for its weight. So I just figured I was too old to be riding wheelies anyway and brought the CB1100 home.

Anyway, I glad I found a dealer that let me ride them...I almost brought home the wrong one.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Can anyone seriously expect a person to spend $10K or thereabouts on a motorcycle without riding it?
:blush:
I spent ~$12k on my DLX without having even seen it, much less ridden it. Haven't regretted my decision for one second though.
 
Gentlemen,

Last weekend I bought a new Ducati 796 Monster for my 21 year old son Charley at RideNow Powersports in Chandler, AZ. The dealer told me that if my son had a motorcycle license that he could test ride any new Ducati. I told him that he was braver than me and we declined the test ride. After paying for the bike I had my son spend an hour riding around in the industrial park behind the dealership to get a feel for it before we rode home.

I know a lot of dealers are starting to do it but I don't blame the ones who don't. Cheers.

Chip
 
Prior to purchase my dealer let me have half a day with a VFR800 and half a day with a CB, both demo units. Of course chose the CB. The salesman was an active rider and knew all that was to be known about both bikes. I'm less happy with the dealers workshop and now that the bike is out of warranty I will look after it myself.

Cheers
 
Not allowing test rides seems pretty common, unfortunately. Thankfully there's a couple places here that have demo bikes now. One multi-line dealer does demo rides the first weekend of every month.

I did have a really good experience at a local Kawasaki dealer last weekend. I've been looking at getting a sports-tourer, and was leaning towards a leftover '11 Triumph Sprint GT - that dealer wouldn't budge on the OTD price though. I decided to go look at a new '14 Ninja 1000. They had just sold their demo bikes, and had just gotten another '14 that was still in the crate. They put it together Thursday so I could take it for a test ride Friday morning. It's in my garage now, waiting on the hard luggage to show up and was cheaper than the Sprint.
 
Sister shop that I used to work for years ago let a fellow test ride a dual sport bike. Signed a waiver, said he could ride etc. In the parking lot he wheelied the thing into the parts managers car and got hurt. Came back with a lawyer threatening to sue if they didn't pay to his hospital bills.

No more test rides.

For every 1 guy that walks because he can't get a test ride there are a hundred that will buy so as a customer you have no juice. European bike dealerships for the most will allow test rides but I think the demographics are in their favor for now so the risk is less. If I was a dealer, unless I personally knew you and held you in high regard, no test rides. That is putting my livelihood at risk and it's not worth it. Besides, if you are that fussy now, pre-sale, you may not be worth the hassle as a customer.
 
I didn't test ride any of mine first for a few reasons; dealership not allowing it was a big one, but I also didn't know how to ride! When I got them home on the trailer I managed to take the little Rebel around the block decently, but I couldn't get that pig Shadow to move at all (just kept on stalling). Parked it with 0.0 miles (because the dealership doesn't test them either) until I took the course a few months later.

Didn't need to test drive the CB; I knew I wanted it. It was a good call!
 
Back
Top