brown powers motersporsts

ChipBeck_imp said:
Gentlemen,

Last weekend I bought a new Ducati 796 Monster for my 21 year old son Charley at RideNow Powersports in Chandler, AZ. The dealer told me that if my son had a motorcycle license that he could test ride any new Ducati. I told him that he was braver than me and we declined the test ride. After paying for the bike I had my son spend an hour riding around in the industrial park behind the dealership to get a feel for it before we rode home.

I know a lot of dealers are starting to do it but I don't blame the ones who don't. Cheers.

Chip

Chip, would you like to have a 49 year old son? I'm available for adoption...just sayin'. :D
 
Damfino_imp said:
ChipBeck_imp said:
Gentlemen,

Last weekend I bought a new Ducati 796 Monster for my 21 year old son Charley at RideNow Powersports in Chandler, AZ. The dealer told me that if my son had a motorcycle license that he could test ride any new Ducati. I told him that he was braver than me and we declined the test ride. After paying for the bike I had my son spend an hour riding around in the industrial park behind the dealership to get a feel for it before we rode home.

I know a lot of dealers are starting to do it but I don't blame the ones who don't. Cheers.

Chip

Chip, would you like to have a 49 year old son? I'm available for adoption...just sayin'. :D

Chip, would you like to have a 49 year old son? I'm available for adoption...just sayin'. :D
Damn kids these days.....always wantin' sumpin fer nutin. :dodgy: :biker:
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
I didn't test ride any of mine first for a few reasons; dealership not allowing it was a big one, but I also didn't know how to ride! When I got them home on the trailer I managed to take the little Rebel around the block decently, but I couldn't get that pig Shadow to move at all (just kept on stalling). Parked it with 0.0 miles (because the dealership doesn't test them either) until I took the course a few months later.

Didn't need to test drive the CB; I knew I wanted it. It was a good call!
The lack of test drives leaves the buyer pretty much dependent on magazine/online tests, which is obviously less than ideal. That being said, I read the Cycle World test last year, and knew right away the CB was the one for me. One look in person cemented it. If the thing rode anywhere near how great it looked, I would be overjoyed. And it turns out to have, for my purposes, perfect performance. Expectations exceeded! :thumbsup:
 
My Honda dealer was super generous.
I told him honestly the last bike I rode 15 years ago was a 125 ccm enduro and I'm a bit intimidated by the size, weight and power of the CB1100, but it's still my dream bike and would like to take it for a spin.
He suggested to take a smaller bike for a test ride before CB1100. So He let me ride a BMW 600 and a BMW 800 for 30 minutes each. The CB1100 he let me drive for one hour. Really cool! After my return with a big grin on my face we went to setup the contract right away.
 
Your dealer won't let you go for a test ride? I ordered my bike from my dealer when they had none on the floor, with no immediate plans to order one. I placed a $1,000.00 deposit and waited about eight weeks for it to arrive. When it was time to pick the bike up I informed the salesman that I wanted to take it for a test ride before paying the balance, and he told me this was not possible (the typical insurance song & dance story). After I got over my disbelief I spoke to the sales manager, who also refused to allow me to take the bike for a test ride before I paid my remaining balance and completed the paper work. I seriously considered asking for my $1,000.00 deposit back, but we reached a compromise: If, after paying off the balance and completing the paperwork I was dissatisfied with the bike in any way, the dealer would refund my entire purchase price. However - the catch was this! For a full refund to be made the bike had to be ridden less than three miles! I am withholding the dealer name because in spite of this, I continue to do business with them (I actually like their parts department team, and I'm sure the salesman were just following company rules).
 
Thread starter
You know, I may never get a CB11 and that is ok. One way or the other I am riding one 15-30 miles before making an offer or putting out that much money. I am not flexible on the matter. Honda dealers think they are Harley dealers and they are not. Harley dealers think they are God and they are not.

I have a good motorcycle and dont have to have another. Maybe I should go ride a Victory because they beg you to ride them. Little bit fed up with this after checking a couple of other dealers in the area that either didnt have the CB11 or didnt allow test rides to anyone. LOL, are you kidding me? WTF?!!!

Any of us can go test drive a 50K truck make by Ford, Dodge, Chevy anytime we want with no big deal. But we cant test drive the golden CB1100 that cost 11,800. LOL Please explain.
 
It's a very good question F7. May I call you that? It doesn't seem to be a Honda thing as they encouraged me to test drive a CB1100 long before I bought one. I was recently lent a demonstrator NC750 while the CB was being serviced. As I recall, I might have had to agree to pay a hefty excess (deductible) in the event I damaged the bike, but that seems reasonable to me.

My guess is that it has something to do with US insurance laws or companies and the level of risk they'd wear if a demo bike were crashed. Frankly, though, I'd have thought they'd have worked it out by now.
 
Dave_imp said:
Your dealer won't let you go for a test ride? I ordered my bike from my dealer when they had none on the floor, with no immediate plans to order one. I placed a $1,000.00 deposit and waited about eight weeks for it to arrive. When it was time to pick the bike up I informed the salesman that I wanted to take it for a test ride before paying the balance, and he told me this was not possible (the typical insurance song & dance story). After I got over my disbelief I spoke to the sales manager, who also refused to allow me to take the bike for a test ride before I paid my remaining balance and completed the paper work. I seriously considered asking for my $1,000.00 deposit back, but we reached a compromise: If, after paying off the balance and completing the paperwork I was dissatisfied with the bike in any way, the dealer would refund my entire purchase price. However - the catch was this! For a full refund to be made the bike had to be ridden less than three miles! I am withholding the dealer name because in spite of this, I continue to do business with them (I actually like their parts department team, and I'm sure the salesman were just following company rules).
In OZ, those blokes now would be in another business, or sweeping floors.

Cheers
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
It's a very good question F7. May I call you that? It doesn't seem to be a Honda thing as they encouraged me to test drive a CB1100 long before I bought one. I was recently lent a demonstrator NC750 while the CB was being serviced. As I recall, I might have had to agree to pay a hefty excess (deductible) in the event I damaged the bike, but that seems reasonable to me.

My guess is that it has something to do with US insurance laws or companies and the level of risk they'd wear if a demo bike were crashed. Frankly, though, I'd have thought they'd have worked it out by now.
You may be on to something Cormanus but I am not aware of any such law in the states but that does not mean anything. Sounds like you have a good local dealer down in Aussie land. I would be willing to sign about anything saying if I wrecked it Ibought it if it were my fault.

I was a little giddy for a new one but now I am just going to hold out for the used 14 DLX to come up used. Bought my NH after carefully shopping and got a jewel and really need to have my head examined by a professional for wanted to get rid of it. I know its not near as good as an 1100 but it really does a good job for me overall and its doing it cheap. Insurance and taxes are dirt cheap and it gets me 50 mpg consistantly. It feels a little strained on the interestates here at 75 mph but it will do it all day long if asked. I think the rider is taking more of a beating than the motorcycle at those speeds with no wind sheild of any sort.
 
Nothing wrong with a 750 Nighthawk, as a matter of fact there is a lot right with the 750 Nighthawk..hydraulic valves, easy to service air cleaner and brakes, no epa crap, and the tires are cheap comparatively speaking..plus typical Honda fit, finish and reliability. A man who owns one should consider himself lucky indeed.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Nothing wrong with a 750 Nighthawk, as a matter of fact there is a lot right with the 750 Nighthawk..hydraulic valves, easy to service air cleaner and brakes, no epa crap, and the tires are cheap comparatively speaking..plus typical Honda fit, finish and reliability. A man who owns one should consider himself lucky indeed.
True. You are not the first to say that. But never had the pleasure myself.

Cheers
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Can anyone seriously expect a person to spend $10K or thereabouts on a motorcycle without riding it?
My buddy just bought a 2014 Harley breakout for $18,500 and didn't test ride it. They even encourage you to test ride at this place!
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
Test ride the CB? Totally unnecessary. The bike is awesome. Just buy it :)
Agreed . And most of the people who buy the CB are experienced enough to know what to expect from a bike from the specs.
 
Thread starter
Rode to Lexington Ky to the big Honda dealer today. Wasnt a good experience. First, no test rides. lol Then, they wanted list price period. Third, they come out to look over my 750 to give me a trade in price and the estimator ask for the keys so he to test ride it. I said excuse me? He said he needs to make sure it runs, shifts, doesnt knock blah blah blah. I told him to get the new Honda out I want to ride and we will test drive them together otherwise he is not getting on it. :D Says he cant do it and I say find somebody that can make it happen. Long story short there were not test rides today by anyone. :rofl:

They offered me 1100 dollars for my 750. :rofl: Guys its honestly not in excellent condition but very good condition and only has 11K miles on it now. New front tire, adult owned ect... There simply is not a thing on it that needs attention at all. They dont bring a lot of money by any means but when I was shopping for one the worst ones you can imagine would bring 1500 if they ran. I guess I pissed them off I dont know.

Anyway, on the ride home I was thinking about how good this 750 really is and while I know its not an 1100 it does everything I ask of it including sitting on the blue grass parkway at 75 mph all day long today. Its almost good in a way to not know what I am missing. I sure like these inline 4's and their characteristics and just about know I would fall in love with the 1100. I am just happy to have a motor cycle again after going without for a year so I need to be grateful for what I have. Sometimes these dealerships will just frustrate you though.
The ferret_imp said:
Nothing wrong with a 750 Nighthawk, as a matter of fact there is a lot right with the 750 Nighthawk..hydraulic valves, easy to service air cleaner and brakes, no epa crap, and the tires are cheap comparatively speaking..plus typical Honda fit, finish and reliability. A man who owns one should consider himself lucky indeed.
Mine appears to be deadly reliable so far at least and super easy to work on imo. It could use all of the things the 1100 has but it gets it done with no fuss and doesnt burn a drop of oil that I can tell. You always take a chance especially with an 11 year old motorcycle but Honda has built so many 750's over the years and I got one of the last ones that they made so any issues were sorted out long ago.

I made a 200 mile round trip today and on the way back one of the things I thought about was valve adjustments on the 1100. My NH only had 7K on it when I got it and I have put over 4K on it this year. Not sure how much I will ride year to year but I would be looking at valve adjustments every other year at the minimum or maybe once a year. Thats my only real gripe with the CB11. Gotta love the hydraulic valves.

I am just grateful I wised up over time and came back to the Honda inline 4s and now have another one. Sometimes you just have to try other things out to figure out what you want and like. Glad to be back on 2 wheels period after going without for a year. That just about killed me.
 
When you're looking for bang for your buck, selling on your own is always better than trading in. I'm not sure what the market is like in your area, but you should be able to get a minimum of $2K in a private sale.

A buddy of mine recently sold his rough running '01 Nighthawk (dirty carbs) here in Phoenix for $2.5K in less than a week.
 
I remember walking into the dealership having ridden well out of town because I heard they had a CB1100 in stock. They had just taken it out of the crate. The plastic was all over it, and the bike hadn't been prepped. I took one look and said, I want it. I'm pretty much a salesman's dream, didn't haggle much, accepted my trade in price, didn't take a test ride.I just knew this bike was for me. Test drive? Never even considered it. There was not another bike on the market that even looked like my CB350. Nostalgia won over. Didn't care what it took, that bike was coming home with me. I broke even on my trade, got a little under list for the CB1100, and took it home the next day, after they had it prepped and ready.
It helped that I had been inhaling info about the bike for a few years already. But the dealership just seemed happy to have me, and wanted to sell me a bike. My local dealership still seems totally distant when I go in.
 
OldF7guy..if you want a test ride, come to The east side of Cinti Ohio, State Rt 125, to Beechmont Motorsports. See Joel or Steve. You will be on a test ride so fast it will make your head spin. They have my used 13, plus a couple 3 or 4 14s both std and deluxes. Let me know when you are coming I will meet you there, show you some great roads and buy you lunch. Hows that? Plan on selling you Nighthawk though. Trading is a poor mans bet, and you will lose.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
OldF7guy..if you want a test ride, come to The east side of Cinti Ohio, State Rt 125, to Beechmont Motorsports. See Joel or Steve. You will be on a test ride so fast it will make your head spin. They have my used 13, plus a couple 3 or 4 14s both std and deluxes. Let me know when you are coming I will meet you there, show you some great roads and buy you lunch. Hows that? Plan on selling you Nighthawk though. Trading is a poor mans bet, and you will lose.
appreicate that sir. Holding on now for used 14s. Stealers want a fortune for 13 and 14s. Not going tyo happen from me. Appreciate ferret and others for pointing out deals. Thank you so much.


Going to sit back and relax and watch the cb11000 sales patiently. No hurry at all. I pray to God I can hold out becasuse I want a CB1100 bad.
 
Thread starter
Flynrider_imp said:
When you're looking for bang for your buck, selling on your own is always better than trading in. I'm not sure what the market is like in your area, but you should be able to get a minimum of $2K in a private sale.

A buddy of mine recently sold his rough running '01 Nighthawk (dirty carbs) here in Phoenix for $2.5K in less than a week.
Thank you fly. Going to ride it out for used dlx 1100s. That is the smart mnoney. If a nighthawk runs its worth 1500. Not a thing wrong with it.

Frustrated as can be. Ferret, thank you sir. I know you have a good lheart and know I am not a bullshitter. I am a serous buyer but Its almost unbelieveable that nobody beleives me? I am on old man. WTF?

Moving on and keeping the 750 NH and riding the piss out of it. Its all good,. Love this thing. Smooth as can be. Never go back to a twin. 5K this year. Just so impressed with Honda 4's. Cant believe how good this 750 is and it does everything.
 
Back
Top