Brown leather jackets... where for art thou?

DBXXX_imp said:
veech_imp said:
Just placed my order for an XL '92 in Brown! :)
:thumbsup: I'm sure you'll be happy with it. The leather is soft and very nice.
I checked one out locally (but they had only black) and was blown away by the quality. I've usually only seen this quality in jackets costing in the $450-$700 range, so this became a no brainer. Can wait! :banana:
 
Got my jacket today! I am 6'2" 230 lbs and an XL fits like a glove. Looks killer. Thanks hb9400 & DBXXX for making me aware of this!

:thanks: :banana:
 
JPX_imp said:
Who knew it would be so hard to find a decent brown leather jacket? There are scores of black ones available on the market, but I'm trying to avoid the completely blacked out look since I also have a black CB1100.

I've searched virtually every website out there (Vanson, Fox Creek, River Road, Revzilla, Dennis Kirk, etc) and the only ones that have peaked my interest are the Roland Sands Barfly, Ronin, and Enzo (seen below in that order from left to right). They're pretty pricey at $500+ and I've read some reviews stating that the stitching is starting to unravel on some after a little less than a year, they're single stitched in some critical impact zones, and a seam busted open on someone's get-off.



So I did some more searching tonight and came across a company called Xelement on Leatherup. The prices for their leather jackets are really low ($150-$200) so I figure they are not very good quality but surprisingly the Amazon reviews on them are actually quite good. One review mentioned a crash at 70MPH and the jacket holding up without any issues. In particular, I was looking at one for $150 in a dark brown that has a cafe racer kinda vibe going on. Worst case scenario is I send it back if it's not up to snuff.

[url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BTQPYY/ref=s9_simh_gw_p263_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=02X6K359NTKGMVCQS7TW&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop]Xelement Speedster

[url=http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/jasonxerri/media/Xelement%20Speedster_zpswpszgzvh.jpg.html]

You're probably thinking that this is the end of my search. Well, you would be wrong. :D

As I'm about to checkout on Amazon, a tiny thumbnail of a jacket in the "similar items to what you're looking for" results list catches my eye. So I click the link and what do you know? A reasonably priced brown cafe jacket with decent specs, good reviews, a vintage look to it, and only 1 Large size left in stock to boot. I'll post a review of it when it gets here in a few days. I can't wait. :thumbsup:

[url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7D3HIU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Leather Supreme Buffalo Cafe Racer Jacket

* Made from Top Grain Soft Heavy Duty 1.3MM buffalo hide Leather
* Retro brown color with matching detail across chest and back
* Features a z/o liner plus inner mesh liner throughout
* Includes 2 deep zippered pockets on the front chest area
* Two zippered vertical air-vents on the back
* One zippered air-vent on each sleeve
* Two zippered side pockets outside & two inside zippered pockets
* Zippered sides for snug fit
* Zippered Cuffs with snap buttons
* Classic double shoulder design for more movement
* Leather pull tabs on all zippers
* YKK zippers

[url=http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/jasonxerri/media/Leather%20Supreme%20Cafe%20Racer_zpswao6yyh9.jpg.html]

The ferret_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I think MG has a Roland Sands and did a report on it for this forum here.

New Jacket
Schott Leather Jackets Model 141
 
veech_imp said:
At $730 the Schott better be extraordinary!
That's the price you pay for made in US of Horween leathers (the only remaining leather tannery in the US; the tanning process takes 6-12 months). I have 2 that I purchased new at a substantial discount on eBay. They reek of quality. 50 year old models often go for >$1,000, particularly those made of horsehide due to their unique patina. Consider it an incentive to manage your weight! ;)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I got the river road petrol. Vintage style jackets just look great
7477eabe7e76775dea305e4a544f3647.jpg


Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
 
grover_imp said:
veech_imp said:
At $730 the Schott better be extraordinary!
That's the price you pay for made in US of Horween leathers (the only remaining leather tannery in the US; the tanning process takes 6-12 months). I have 2 that I purchased new at a substantial discount on eBay. They reek of quality. 50 year old models often go for >$1,000, particularly those made of horsehide due to their unique patina. Consider it an incentive to manage your weight! ;)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's the price you pay for made in US of Horween leathers (the only remaining leather tannery in the US; the tanning process takes 6-12 months). I have 2 that I purchased new at a substantial discount on eBay. They reek of quality. 50 year old models often go for >$1,000, particularly those made of horsehide due to their unique patina. Consider it an incentive to manage your weight! ;)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do already have a Schott Perfecto and generally agree about their quality (along with way too many other black jackets, which is why I wanted a brown leather). A quick search on ebay didn't yield a single new 141 however, only a couple used ones that were too small (wouldn't be interested in a used one anyway.) While I do like Schott, I honestly wouldn't consider spending anywhere close to that kind of money on a jacket without trying it on and inspecting it first. My upper limit for a mail order jacket is in the $300 range, otherwise its just not worth the risk and hassle to me as too many things can go south.

Still, it was a quality recomendation. :thumbsup:
 
Schott & Vanson jackets last forever. Both companies do repairs if you need it. Schott has a one a year factory sale about four weeks before Christmas. It is the only time you will get a deal on a new Schott jacket. They only get better with time. Worth every penny.
 
I've mentioned them before, but it's been a while. Anyone looking for a serious motorcycle jacket who is already considering the likes of Schott, Vanson or Langlitz should also investigate Johnson Leathers out of San Francisco. You'd never realize what they are capable of by looking at their outdated website. However, I can tell you that they are every bit as capable as these other, better known outfits both in execution and in quality of the product. You can start with one of their base jackets and modify it however you like. The base naked leather might not be your thing which is not problem as they'll send you a number of other leather swatches to choose from. They can also recreate a jacket based on photos of an old favorite or they can build a totally custom jacket for you if you wish. They'll send out a test fit jacket and go from there, allowing them to totally nail the final fit of your own jacket. They aren't cheap, but they are more than competitive with the other three that I mentioned.
 
This is old news, but here is another endorsement for the Joe Rocket Classic 92 jacket in brown/orange. Very nice like other Rocket jackets I have purchased. Bought from Revzilla with no problems (as usual). I am 5'8", 190# with a 36" waist and bought a medium. Snug with the liner, but wearable. Perfect with no liner. Great looking and great value!

I give it my best recommendation.
 
Guth_imp said:
I've mentioned them before, but it's been a while. Anyone looking for a serious motorcycle jacket who is already considering the likes of Schott, Vanson or Langlitz should also investigate Johnson Leathers out of San Francisco. You'd never realize what they are capable of by looking at their outdated website. However, I can tell you that they are every bit as capable as these other, better known outfits both in execution and in quality of the product. You can start with one of their base jackets and modify it however you like. The base naked leather might not be your thing which is not problem as they'll send you a number of other leather swatches to choose from. They can also recreate a jacket based on photos of an old favorite or they can build a totally custom jacket for you if you wish. They'll send out a test fit jacket and go from there, allowing them to totally nail the final fit of your own jacket. They aren't cheap, but they are more than competitive with the other three that I mentioned.
I just spoke to Alan and I'm going to send him photos tonight of one of my favorite poly jackets that I have and go from there. Thanks for the rec!
 
Back
Top