Breaking in the FJ-09

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Son picked up his FJ-09 Yesterday. Today we took it down to our favorite playground in N Ky (Empty Sea will recognize it). Can you imagine having to scrub in tires and break in a motor on 147 miles of this?

First a little of the roads by the house



[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20008_zpsamc8vynz.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20024_zpsxj4qpnad.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20026_zpsknf2gqpz.jpg.html]

next the Ferry over to Kentucky

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20038_zps4b1lzhuk.jpg.html]

then some Ky riding

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20045_zpslgcuksym.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20056_zps7krcx9gt.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20062_zps7tcmp6e7.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20069_zpszu864cx8.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20086_zpsnc7607l3.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20088_zpsyw2f3fgq.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20097_zpsvohrhtjb.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20100_zps7vnomlsq.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20101_zpsj6kvsg2y.jpg.html]
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20102_zpspqmkaa0g.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20107_zpsrt3ooxqa.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20109_zpssrqg89vs.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20117_zpshod6nyx7.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20123_zpsjg4qlihk.jpg.html]

Back across the river we stopped at Rockin Robins Soda Shop for lunch in Ripley Ohio

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20151_zpsxrs6fpra.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20153_zpsuboatyy2.jpg.html]

then back some curvy locals to home

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20156_zpsntxc80wk.jpg.html]

What a great day and a great way to spend some quality time with my son. Blessed I tell ya.
 
Very nice! Lovely bike and lovely roads! My dad never shared my love of motorcycling, so yes, consider yourself blessed.

Yeah, I didn't heed your warning... Glad I didn't.
 
Ah, me old Kentucky home. Bracken County, eh? Watch out for those combines and deer! Nice roads. Heh heh, my dad never shared interest in anything, he was too busy dropping acid and tuning out, lol. You know, Summer of Love and all that rot...
 
Looks familiar and fun. There's a possibility, although slight, that we will open an office in Paris, KY..soooo....
 
Ferret, thanks for taking that one for the team.

Does your son like his new ride?
 
Thread starter
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Ah, me old Kentucky home. Bracken County, eh? Watch out for those combines and deer! Nice roads. Heh heh, my dad never shared interest in anything, he was too busy dropping acid and tuning out, lol. You know, Summer of Love and all that rot...
Yep, Bracken and Mason Co's. No farm equipment today, but I think 8 deer altogether, 5 in one group 3 in another group, 2 black headed vulture on a possum and several pickups, and for the record we never exceeded the speed limit or 3500 rpms ;) well my son might have exceeded 3500 rpms.I think the Yammie needs more r's than the CB to run the same speed. BTW I did test mine yesterday and 4500 rpms in second is over 50 mph and 4500 rpms in third is over 60 mph. I could have ridden all day today in second and third, but then again I paid for the other 3 gears, so might as well use 'em eh? lol

Cormanus_imp said:
Ferret, thanks for taking that one for the team.

Does your son like his new ride?
Son likes it a lot. He's very happy with it so far, but has only ridden about 200 miles on it I think.
 
Beautiful day to be out on a bike. You and son are greatly blessed. Congrats to your son on the new bike and I hope he gets years of pleasure from it but most of all, I bet he'll treasure the moments he has had riding with you above all. :thumbsup:
 
The ferret_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Ah, me old Kentucky home. Bracken County, eh? Watch out for those combines and deer! Nice roads. Heh heh, my dad never shared interest in anything, he was too busy dropping acid and tuning out, lol. You know, Summer of Love and all that rot...
Yep, Bracken and Mason Co's. No farm equipment today, but I think 8 deer altogether, 5 in one group 3 in another group, 2 black headed vulture on a possum and several pickups, and for the record we never exceeded the speed limit or 3500 rpms ;) well my son might have exceeded 3500 rpms.I think the Yammie needs more r's than the CB to run the same speed. BTW I did test mine yesterday and 4500 rpms in second is over 50 mph and 4500 rpms in third is over 60 mph. I could have ridden all day today in second and third, but then again I paid for the other 3 gears, so might as well use 'em eh? lol

Cormanus_imp said:
Ferret, thanks for taking that one for the team.

Does your son like his new ride?
Son likes it a lot. He's very happy with it so far, but has only ridden about 200 miles on it I think.
Very nice.:thumbsup: I have the five-speed, only paid for five gears but like to use them all. BTW thanks for checking the speeds, I think your Deluxe is geared a bit differently but close enough.

Now the funny thing is if I am on my ZX-10R, I never need to go over 8000 RPM, that is mostly all in the bottom half of the tach (redline is 14,000 RPM) but that bike has so much grunt and is very light, no reason to get up in the stratosphere.

As you say, the 09 needs to be a bit higher up the range. I know a few guys with FZ09's, they are very light and strong off idle, but the added weight of the FJ09 probably tames it a bit.

I think that engine is quite good and the package is much better suited to sport-touring at a sane pace than track riding. I am pretty sure your boy is going to really like that bike.
 
Thread starter
Yes this side of highway 19, the eastern side, is sweeperville..not technical at all just good sweepers with good lines of sight, no suprises.

On the other side of 19, the western side, those tend to be the technical roads, blind curves, blind rises, abrubt change of directions (the dangerous one with the hard right turn following a blind rise I described in another thread is on that side). That's where all the racer boys go on the weekend.. and where John law hangs out...although we passed one hidden in the bushes on our side yesterday, but since we were doing the speed limit he just sat there. It's amazing the difference from one side of 19 to the other. Only if I have riders visiting that want to see the other side will I venture over there. I don't enjoy it. I ride to relax, and the other side is too much work. I prefer sweepers to technical turns. I prefer Cherohala Skyway or the BRP to the Dragon for example.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Yes this side of highway 19, the eastern side, is sweeperville..not technical at all just good sweepers with good lines of sight, no suprises.

On the other side of 19, the western side, those tend to be the technical roads, blind curves, blind rises, abrubt change of directions (the dangerous one with the hard right turn following a blind rise I described in another thread is on that side). That's where all the racer boys go on the weekend.. and where John law hangs out...although we passed one hidden in the bushes on our side yesterday, but since we were doing the speed limit he just sat there. It's amazing the difference from one side of 19 to the other. Only if I have riders visiting that want to see the other side will I venture over there. I don't enjoy it. I ride to relax, and the other side is too much work. I prefer sweepers to technical turns. I prefer Cherohala Skyway or the BRP to the Dragon for example.
Same here ferret. The Dragon would be far more enjoyable if it was a one way road; without the worry that a bike or cage has crossed into your lane just around that blind curve.
Another reason I like riding the Texas Hill Country. Lots of sweeping turns with good sight lines.
 
redbirds_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Yes this side of highway 19, the eastern side, is sweeperville..not technical at all just good sweepers with good lines of sight, no suprises.

On the other side of 19, the western side, those tend to be the technical roads, blind curves, blind rises, abrubt change of directions (the dangerous one with the hard right turn following a blind rise I described in another thread is on that side). That's where all the racer boys go on the weekend.. and where John law hangs out...although we passed one hidden in the bushes on our side yesterday, but since we were doing the speed limit he just sat there. It's amazing the difference from one side of 19 to the other. Only if I have riders visiting that want to see the other side will I venture over there. I don't enjoy it. I ride to relax, and the other side is too much work. I prefer sweepers to technical turns. I prefer Cherohala Skyway or the BRP to the Dragon for example.
Same here ferret. The Dragon would be far more enjoyable if it was a one way road; without the worry that a bike or cage has crossed into your lane just around that blind curve.
Another reason I like riding the Texas Hill Country. Lots of sweeping turns with good sight lines.
Same here ferret. The Dragon would be far more enjoyable if it was a one way road; without the worry that a bike or cage has crossed into your lane just around that blind curve.
Another reason I like riding the Texas Hill Country. Lots of sweeping turns with good sight lines. Hey y'all, I know of quite of few one-way roads, no law enforcement, you can go as fast as you want.

They be called racetracks and for a small fee you can ride all day, drag your pegs, inspect your chicken strips, and jangle your bells.

Actually the bell wouldn't pass tech inspection, lol, but you could put it in your pocket...:thumbsup:
 
The ferret_imp said:
Son picked up his FJ-09 Yesterday. Today we took it down to our favorite playground in N Ky (Empty Sea will recognize it). Can you imagine having to scrub in tires and break in a motor on 147 miles of this?

First a little of the roads by the house



[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20008_zpsamc8vynz.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20024_zpsxj4qpnad.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20026_zpsknf2gqpz.jpg.html]

next the Ferry over to Kentucky

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20038_zps4b1lzhuk.jpg.html]

then some Ky riding

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20045_zpslgcuksym.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20056_zps7krcx9gt.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20062_zps7tcmp6e7.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20069_zpszu864cx8.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20086_zpsnc7607l3.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20088_zpsyw2f3fgq.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20097_zpsvohrhtjb.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20100_zps7vnomlsq.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20101_zpsj6kvsg2y.jpg.html]
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20102_zpspqmkaa0g.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20107_zpsrt3ooxqa.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20109_zpssrqg89vs.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20117_zpshod6nyx7.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20123_zpsjg4qlihk.jpg.html]

Back across the river we stopped at Rockin Robins Soda Shop for lunch in Ripley Ohio

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20151_zpsxrs6fpra.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20153_zpsuboatyy2.jpg.html]

then back some curvy locals to home

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/FJ-09/CB%20and%20FJ%20ride%20April%2017%202016%20156_zpsntxc80wk.jpg.html]

What a great day and a great way to spend some quality time with my son. Blessed I tell ya.

That's where happiness lives. Blessed you are, indeed.
:thumbsup:
 
Ferret. You are a lucky man! Nothing like sharing your lifelong passion with your son! I still get excited when my sons take the time ride with me.
 
Back
Top