Brake pad questions

Got the numbers off EBay vendors. They run about $35/set. Double check before ordering. Good luck!

Front, #FA296HH
Rear, #FA174HH
 
INTP_imp said:
Does anyone know the EBC part number for the HH sintered brake pads for our CB1100?
Did you already wear out a set of pads?

I just put a set of these on my CB750 a few weeks ago. They are a definite improvement over stock pads.
 
Thread starter
Flynrider_imp said:
INTP_imp said:
Does anyone know the EBC part number for the HH sintered brake pads for our CB1100?
Did you already wear out a set of pads?

I just put a set of these on my CB750 a few weeks ago. They are a definite improvement over stock pads.
Did you already wear out a set of pads?

I just put a set of these on my CB750 a few weeks ago. They are a definite improvement over stock pads.
I have 8500 miles on my bike, and they are close to needing replacement. I used these in my ZRX and loved them.
 
INTP_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
INTP_imp said:
Does anyone know the EBC part number for the HH sintered brake pads for our CB1100?
Did you already wear out a set of pads?

I just put a set of these on my CB750 a few weeks ago. They are a definite improvement over stock pads.
Did you already wear out a set of pads?

I just put a set of these on my CB750 a few weeks ago. They are a definite improvement over stock pads.
I have 8500 miles on my bike, and they are close to needing replacement. I used these in my ZRX and loved them.
Wow. I'm one of those guys that's pretty easy on brake pads. The pads I just changed out on my CB750 were OEM pads that went 41K miles (and weren't completely worn out). I don't expect to change pads on the CB1100 for another 5 years or so :P
 
yea me too..I'm on my second set on my ST at 47,000 miles lol
 
Same here. I took a set of stock pads 29k miles on my VFR. Still had half the material left. That said, when I replaced them just before selling it, the new pads were great.
 
I just changed out the rear tire on my '13 CB11 with just under 15K miles and noticed the rear pads were razor thin. I need new ones asap. Front are still ok. I was surprised. Rears are paper thin. I'm lucky they wore so evenly.
 
Ok, so this will tip my hand about my lack of mechanical skill, but is there a way to tell the brake wear on a bike without disassembling anything? Try not to snicker when you answer.
 
ES.... Sometimes you can look up in there with a flashlight and see how much pad is remaining. I take off each caliper (2 bolts) and flip it over and look at both pads very clearly. If plenty of pad left flip it back over and reinstall caliper. If not much pad left, you have to have caliper off anyway to replace them.
 
Thanks. My rear brake is squeaking. Dealer said it was just dust, but it hasn't gone away. Bike's going in for 12k service soon, so I'll have them look at it then, but I may was to do some of this relatively easy maintenance myself as time goes by.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Thanks. My rear brake is squeaking. Dealer said it was just dust, but it hasn't gone away. Bike's going in for 12k service soon, so I'll have them look at it then, but I may was to do some of this relatively easy maintenance myself as time goes by.
At 12k it is almost certainly dust, particularly if the pads are organic. Have a look at the pads anyway. Just in case.

I run organic rear pads and sintered front. I can, and have on two occasions, easily locked up the rear with the organics. I am, thankfully, a little more adept at brake modulation with the fronts so sintered are good, more positive " bite". The sintered are, however, a little noisy at low speed. They sort of rattle. That's normal.

Cheers
 
To those who have replaced the pads...have you also replaced the caliper bolts? I see they're pretty darn cheap, but it's just a hassle getting them. (Plus, I'd rather order a set of the EBC's, not the Honda oem).
 
Jim21680_imp said:
To those who have replaced the pads...have you also replaced the caliper bolts? I see they're pretty darn cheap, but it's just a hassle getting them. (Plus, I'd rather order a set of the EBC's, not the Honda oem).
I didn't replace the calliper bolts but, from memory, Honda manual stipulates a change. Next time. Your choice.

Cheers

Have a look at this. http://safebraking.com/top-ten-brake-job-mistakes-pads-rotors-calipers/ May be of help.
 
To my fellow USA riders, where have you purchased new pads from? I was just about to order a set of OEM fronts from the Honda PartsHouse, but I noticed they're rather pricey ($100 bucks)! I have been totally satisfied with the performance of the stock pad, and the easy-to-clean dust they generate too...but I'm thinking I may go with a set from EBC if I can save $30 or $40 bucks in the process. It's an easy decision as I'm fully confident in the EBC brand.

Contrary to the number posted on the first page of this thread, the part number I'm looking at now is FA388HH.
I'm surprised to find different part numbers between the 2013 & 14 bikes...how are they different? 3 & 4 piston calipers?
http://ebcbrakes.com/Assets/ecatalogues/2015-Intl-MC-Catalogue/2015-intl-mc-catalogue.html#p=76
 
some bikes have linked brakes. The ones with linked brakes have 3 pot calipers, the others 2 pot calipers.
 
Forgot about the linked brake option, but there must be an error in the EBC catalog. The way it's listed, they're saying 2013s have 3-pots, and 2014s have 4.

On a separate note, I assume those with EBC pads are still happy with them? I haven't seen any comments or complaints.
 
If the HH sintered pads are better than stock, I'm gonna need to start doing some eyelid strengthening exercises to prepare for keeping my eyeballs in their sockets. I certainly don't want for braking power on my bike, but maybe I am used to the relatively lousy binders that the V-strom has.

I've read good things about both EBC and Galfer HH sintered pads. I've got a set of them going on my V-strom this weekend along with a fresh brake bleed to hopefully bring the front end up to snuff on that bike.
 
These pads are OK for '10 and '13 models, non ABS.

c7de18b32331712a7c0245a020c62156.jpeg


Cheers
 
Back
Top