Brake pad life

LakeWylieJoe_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
With the recent talk of brake pads (thanks Bob), I figured I'd give mine a close look while I had my wheels off for a tire change. I have ~28,600 miles on the original pads and all were pretty thin so I ordered new sets plus caliper bolts for front and rear.

I highly recommend doing the pad swap with the wheels off. It was very easy that way. I hung the front calipers from the fork legs temporarily with the old mounting bolts while working on the pads. The fork was resting on a sturdy wood stand built for that purpose so I didn't have to balance the bike on a jack.

I also slipped the rear axle through the swingarm to help hold the rear assembly in place while the wheel was off.

Anyway, back to the point of the story. :-) When I opened the packaging for the new pads, they were almost as thin as the old ones. I could have easily gotten 60,000 more miles out of the original pads. I went ahead and installed the new ones anyway.

I'd gotten so used to seeing very thick automotive pads that I was sure mine were 90% worn; they were less than 25% worn. Lesson learned. The new pads are very thin compared to automotive parts.
 
if you had thought to measure the depthof the slot with a tire tread depth gauge you would have known the difference.You can use them up until the slot is gone. I have a new set out on the garage, maybe I will measure them.

BTW I get about 20,000 out of a set of pads and thought I was pretty easy on brakes lol.
 
It’s funny you should mention this. I just replaced the rear pads on my Bonneville, thinking they were too thin. But, the EBC replacements weren’t much thicker. I replaced them anyway, since I had pulled them out.
 
I think I'm pretty hard on brakes. But I haven't really worn any out except that pad in the back last week which was toast. It was maybe 1/8 as thick as the one I replaced it with. Pretty much paper thin. Well, thick paper :-)
 
ok a BRAND NEW REAR PAD measures 5/32 nds of pad material to bottom of wear slot. Total pad measures just a hair over 6/32 nds

7bbcbd36e415658d7642aefdf97f319a.jpg
 
Book me in for free brake job, please.
I was 200 m away from the US border, almost no traffic, just trucks
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the measurements. I was using the Mk.I eyeball, which is prone to error. I will note the rear pads appeared thicker than the fronts, which were surprisingly thin.
 
I have fronts in stock too, if I remember after my grandsons ball game I will measure them as well.
 
I use Brembo sinter. Used it for my CB1100 '13 and for my CBF1000F, which has the same brakes like the CB1100 '13 ABS.
 
Ok here's some pics

Pads Front X 2 sets (Left) and rear X 1 set (Right)

4bc75857ab3dc5e73946e3e43e22245c.jpg


Usable pad material on front 4/32"

522bcf408ff15d4acb0864e0979cc50e.jpg


usable pad material on rear 5/32"

c9265265b62c61267e4f77dc343f1855.jpg
 
I use the EBC HH pads front and rear, on my last bike I got around 10-12,000 miles out of a set of pads, but I also use the CB to commute in LA traffic (20,000 miles last year!)
 
Did you guys notice the rear pad wear out faster compare to other bikes? My experience with other bike pad life is about 2 set of front to 1 set of rear. But my CB1100 somehow is equally wear for front and back.
 
I changed the front and rear pads on mine at 18K miles and the rears were hardly worn, the front pads still had plenty of wear left. Much depends on where and how you ride I think. Nearly all my riding is on rural back roads and mostly flat terrain. Brake pads on my P/U truck were good for 97K miles when changed and still had a safe pad surface. When I lived in the city 30 years ago I was lucky to get 20K miles on the P/U before the pads were worn out.
 
Changed rear pads at 30.000km and again at 60.000km. Front pads at 60.000km for the first time. Use the rear brake more often. Like the CBS and its smooth braking without a diving fork when only the rear brake is used.
 
Wisedrum_imp said:
Changed rear pads at 30.000km and again at 60.000km. Front pads at 60.000km for the first time. Use the rear brake more often. Like the CBS and its smooth braking without a diving fork when only the rear brake is used.
(+1)
 
Back
Top