Brake lever gap from throttle.

zirconxi_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Good day to all, I had been wondering, for the brake lever distant/gap from throttle, had anyone use no 6 before and if the brake can work fully during emergency full force braking? Mine kind of hitting the throttle if its tune to 6. No 4 is the maximum i can set confidently.
My lever had been bent b4 during a slow speed fall and had been straighten back. And i am wondering if my lever are out of spec due to the repair.
Setting at 5 leave barely <5mm of gap when fully depress. Currently i set it at 3 and it has a 50mm gap between lever and throttle when not pull, brake feathering start around 40-35mm and can fully depress till 10mm space is left. But setting at 6, i can easily pull the lever till kissing the throttle. Brake are still working, but i never tried it for emergency brake.
 
zirconxi_imp said:
Good day to all, I had been wondering, for the brake lever distant/gap from throttle, had anyone use no 6 before and if the brake can work fully during emergency full force braking? Mine kind of hitting the throttle if its tune to 6. No 4 is the maximum i can set confidently.
My lever had been bent b4 during a slow speed fall and had been straighten back. And i am wondering if my lever are out of spec due to the repair.
Setting at 5 leave barely <5mm of gap when fully depress. Currently i set it at 3 and it has a 50mm gap between lever and throttle when not pull, brake feathering start around 40-35mm and can fully depress till 10mm space is left. But setting at 6, i can easily pull the lever till kissing the throttle. Brake are still working, but i never tried it for emergency brake.
I'm curious as to why you want to use the higher settings. Mine is on 4 as it came when I got the bike. It works for me and I've always wondered why this setting is adjustable. Bigger/smaller hands, weaker fingers?
I have had some pretty hard stops and never had the lever anywhere near the throttle. I am guilty of using two fingers on the brake lever and two on the throttle, so I would get pinched if the lever was too close to the throttle grip.
 
Mine was set at 5 for both, '13 & '14 when acquired'em. It's stayed that way since.
 
Ditto. I don't recall over the past 20 years or so ever fussing with the lever settings since the day the various bikes were acquired. Heck. Someone could have played with the settings and I would have not noticed.

I think I polished the thumb dials once every couple of years.
 
Thread starter
Setting 6 is the most comfortable for my finger reach. At 3 and I felt the lever are too far for my finger (lever rest near to my finger tip), but great when doing 2 fingers braking as it doesn't pinch my ring and pinky finger on the throttle. Short/weak fingers maybe, or maybe some old habit of riding my old bikes, I prefer lever nearer to my finger middle joints as I can control and modulate it better.

But I do wonder why Honda put in a setting that can't be use? As the lever can't fully depress as it hit the throttle. Or it's just my masterpump/ lever which are broken.

Inhouse Bob_imp said:
zirconxi_imp said:
Good day to all, I had been wondering, for the brake lever distant/gap from throttle, had anyone use no 6 before and if the brake can work fully during emergency full force braking? Mine kind of hitting the throttle if its tune to 6. No 4 is the maximum i can set confidently.
My lever had been bent b4 during a slow speed fall and had been straighten back. And i am wondering if my lever are out of spec due to the repair.
Setting at 5 leave barely <5mm of gap when fully depress. Currently i set it at 3 and it has a 50mm gap between lever and throttle when not pull, brake feathering start around 40-35mm and can fully depress till 10mm space is left. But setting at 6, i can easily pull the lever till kissing the throttle. Brake are still working, but i never tried it for emergency brake.
I'm curious as to why you want to use the higher settings. Mine is on 4 as it came when I got the bike. It works for me and I've always wondered why this setting is adjustable. Bigger/smaller hands, weaker fingers?
I have had some pretty hard stops and never had the lever anywhere near the throttle. I am guilty of using two fingers on the brake lever and two on the throttle, so I would get pinched if the lever was too close to the throttle grip.
Actually I haven't change it since I got the bike 2 years ago, but started playing with it recently when I service the brake oil and repaired the bend lever. And found that at setting 6, its right on my spot, but unusable because can't fully depress the brake. The shinny dial is one of my favorite, that's why I never change to any after market lever. I kept all shinny chrome on my CB, looks old school.

GoldOxide_imp said:
Ditto. I don't recall over the past 20 years or so ever fussing with the lever settings since the day the various bikes were acquired. Heck. Someone could have played with the settings and I would have not noticed.

I think I polished the thumb dials once every couple of years.
can you comfortably brake with 2 fingers at setting 5?

peterbaron_imp said:
Mine was set at 5 for both, '13 & '14 when acquired'em. It's stayed that way since.
 
Is there a way of increasing the pressure in the brake line so you don’t need to haul it in as far for the brakes to work?
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Is there a way of increasing the pressure in the brake line so you don’t need to haul it in as far for the brakes to work?
I believe there is but will involve changing the brake line and master pump which i prefer not.. Anyway, its just a minor discomfort for me. Been riding with setting 3 since I got her anyway. Just that recent brake service had me thinking about setting it to 6..
 
Quite right. That sounds like way too much work.
 
Perhaps you could bleed the break line to be sure it doesn't have any air in the line. An air bubble would make the travel of the lever longer. Just a thought.
 
ec5e1c7426de109d1de6e183762f3df9.gif
 
Houtman_imp said:
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
You know what they say, "Big hands, big... gloves!"
I forgot what they said about short fingers , do you remember ?
I forgot what they said about short fingers , do you remember ?
I refuse to be dragged into a political discussion :cool:
 
Thread starter
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Perhaps you could bleed the break line to be sure it doesn't have any air in the line. An air bubble would make the travel of the lever longer. Just a thought.
Done that during the recent brake service. Both brake and clutch fluid are flushed and bleed. I had done 3 brake bleeding during my ownership of my cb. All 3 times doesn't seem to change the travel much.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Is there a way of increasing the pressure in the brake line so you don’t need to haul it in as far for the brakes to work?
Bigger diameter MC, so it will move more fluid for the same stroke.
But you will need to press harder, as there are no free meals.


Work is force x stroke. To get the same work with less stroke, you need to apply more force.

Also, for the caliper to work, you need a displacement of fluid volume V on the brake line. This V is the "area of the MC x stroke", which is "pi*D^2 / 4 * stroke"

In short: if you put a MC with double diameter than current, you will shorten lever travel by 4, and you will need to apply 4 times the original force.

(of course, changes should be much more subtle than doubling the MC :D )
 
Thank you, jtopsio.
 
Back
Top