Boots

EmptySea_imp said:
What boots do you recommend?

I have a pair of pull-on waterproof boots I picked up at Cycle Gear pretty cheap. They do a good job but have no insulation (or very little) and they have neither the style nor the comfort to be worn off the bike for any length of time.

I am considering a pair of workboot-styled boots. Looked at a pair of Red Wings that I liked, but I'm hesitant because I'm worried about malleolus protection. Ferret will REALLY think I have champagne taste in gear when he sees what I'm considering: Stylmartin Indian Boots. Pretty pricey, but they get great reviews, can be re-soled, and will look pretty good and be comfortable with a pair of jeans at work. Any thoughts, besides that they're expensive?

What boots do you recommend?
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/stylmartin-indian-boots
 
Thanks Grover, It does! I forgot to mention it does comes with composite toe and heel protection. Revzilla sells the whole sylmartin line.
 
I wear a pair of Cabela's kangaroo leather upland boots a lot of the time. Tough, lightweight, and comfortable. I like the sole style, they don't hold on to a bunch of mud, gravel, or mud.

My summer time riding shoes are Air Jordan leather high tops. Good ankle protection and comfortable to wear and walk around in.

I understand that neither of these are not "real" riding boots, but I have tried the other styles and can't seem to find ones that fit good. Always thought about driving to Wesco for some custom ones but never wanted to spend the cash. I understand the dislike for laces, I always try to secure mine. When I took the header 20 years ago two of the things I remember is while I was in flight was 1-hoping my laces didn't get tangled in the handlebars and 2-trying to turn in mid air so I would land on my back rather than on my front. Funny how much can go through ones mind in a second.
 
Been through a few crash and burns; the last one was the first with proper gear all around. Boots took a licking; pretty sure softer shoes like I used to wear would have be trashed. So I have learned to really appreciate my Sidi's.

That said, ill fitting gear, at best does not encourage you to use it, at worst, will cause more damage than not.

I don't crash as well as I used to when I was younger so I think better gear is almost required so help the old bones. :)
 
Yesterday I ordered a pair of these Alpinestarts Ridge Boots

Alpinestars Ridge v2 WP Boots - RevZilla

Wanted something a bit shorter for summer wear under jeans but something waterproof and with protection. Funny I'm willing to forego protection for my hips and knees ( typical bad areas for old guys like me) but wanted ankle and toe protection. Sometimes there's no logic in the things I do lol
 
A while back I would have been happy with those. Now I have this ski boot type buckles and am completely sold on them. But they look like very nice boots anyway. :)
 
Thread starter
OK, so the Joe Rocket boots I talked about a few pages back just did not hold up. The inner sole cracked on one boot and the uppers on both were pretty well worn out.

We stopped at a shoe/boot outlet on our bike trip to er the holiday weekend and I picked up a pair of these Rocky Ironclad (6") for about $140.00. Waterproof, puncture resistant, and look and feel good both on and off the bike. Not motorcycle-specific, but seem as sturdy as Red Wings. So far, so good.

http://www.rockyboots.com/rocky-men...-boot/FQ0005696.html?dwvar_FQ0005696_color=20

Could not bring myself to ask my wife or friends to take a picture of my feet for a motorcycle forum, so this was the best I could do.
a3723b0bfa4a77b4975ed18efa4deeab.jpg
 
Good looking boots Sea. i like the color.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Yesterday I ordered a pair of these Alpinestarts Ridge Boots

Alpinestars Ridge v2 WP Boots - RevZilla

Wanted something a bit shorter for summer wear under jeans but something waterproof and with protection. Funny I'm willing to forego protection for my hips and knees ( typical bad areas for old guys like me) but wanted ankle and toe protection. Sometimes there's no logic in the things I do lol
what a coincidence-have the same boots! alpinestars make great motorcycle gear. have a jacket by them as well and really like the fit.
 
jrns_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Yesterday I ordered a pair of these Alpinestarts Ridge Boots

Alpinestars Ridge v2 WP Boots - RevZilla

Wanted something a bit shorter for summer wear under jeans but something waterproof and with protection. Funny I'm willing to forego protection for my hips and knees ( typical bad areas for old guys like me) but wanted ankle and toe protection. Sometimes there's no logic in the things I do lol
what a coincidence-have the same boots! alpinestars make great motorcycle gear. have a jacket by them as well and really like the fit.
what a coincidence-have the same boots! alpinestars make great motorcycle gear. have a jacket by them as well and really like the fit.
A few years ago Alpinestars built some boots for Triumph with the Triumph name impressed into the material and I bought a pair. I've owned many pairs of boots in the last 23 years and these are easily the best of the lot.
 
Thread starter
I couldn't find a Chippewa that looked and felt the way I wanted....just like I couldn't find an American made bike that looked and felt the way I wanted. So I opted for the the Rockys and the Honda.
 
redbirds_imp said:
I have never found a motorcycle boot in a a size wide enough for my fat feet. I've been wearing a Bates duty style work boot from Bass Pro Shops. It has laces but is zippered on the side which allows me to tie off the laces permanently to avoid possible entanglements with the foot pegs. These boots are very comfortable for riding and walking and have a fair degree of water resistance.

http://www.basspro.com/Bates-UltraL...39;&39;-Work-Boots-for-Men/product/49283/
Redbirds I'm currently wearing a pair of side zip Danner boots very similar to the Bates. They work well.
 
Back
Top