Boots

emptysea

Road warrior
Thread starter
What boots do you recommend?

I have a pair of pull-on waterproof boots I picked up at Cycle Gear pretty cheap. They do a good job but have no insulation (or very little) and they have neither the style nor the comfort to be worn off the bike for any length of time.

I am considering a pair of workboot-styled boots. Looked at a pair of Red Wings that I liked, but I'm hesitant because I'm worried about malleolus protection. Ferret will REALLY think I have champagne taste in gear when he sees what I'm considering: Stylmartin Indian Boots. Pretty pricey, but they get great reviews, can be re-soled, and will look pretty good and be comfortable with a pair of jeans at work. Any thoughts, besides that they're expensive?

What boots do you recommend?
 
I'm not big on boots with laces for use on a bike, too much chance for something to go wrong with laces around drive chains, wheels, etc.. Whatever boots you choose, hopefully they fit your feet well. I'm using Dainese TRQ Tour boots. Good ankle support/protection along with GoreTex to keep my feet dry in the winter time.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
What boots do you recommend?

I have a pair of pull-on waterproof boots I picked up at Cycle Gear pretty cheap. They do a good job but have no insulation (or very little) and they have neither the style nor the comfort to be worn off the bike for any length of time.

I am considering a pair of workboot-styled boots. Looked at a pair of Red Wings that I liked, but I'm hesitant because I'm worried about malleolus protection. Ferret will REALLY think I have champagne taste in gear when he sees what I'm considering: Stylmartin Indian Boots. Pretty pricey, but they get great reviews, can be re-soled, and will look pretty good and be comfortable with a pair of jeans at work. Any thoughts, besides that they're expensive?

What boots do you recommend?

I've been looking at the same boot, just wish I could try it on somewhere first. My bike is my only form a transportation, 90% of the time I ride I'd rather have something low key. I'll pick up some space boots next for when I'm just out riding for fun.
 
I have never found a motorcycle boot in a a size wide enough for my fat feet. I've been wearing a Bates duty style work boot from Bass Pro Shops. It has laces but is zippered on the side which allows me to tie off the laces permanently to avoid possible entanglements with the foot pegs. These boots are very comfortable for riding and walking and have a fair degree of water resistance.

http://www.basspro.com/Bates-UltraL...39;&39;-Work-Boots-for-Men/product/49283/
 
I use Alpinestars Soho and have found them to be really comfortable to wear for long periods both on and off the bike. Best of both worlds, a zip one side Velcro the other and Goretex so no damp feet to date.
 
I like those stylmartin Indian boots sans the laces. They fit the style of the cb quite nicely. Racing style boots like the dainese trq offer more protection but I can't get over the power Ranger impression. I am in the market for new boots since my shift toe hurts after a long ride. Decisions.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
 
I've been riding in Chippewa Rally motorcycle boots since last fall. They're working out very well for me. Comfortable off the bike, too.

 
Rolls_imp said:
I've been riding in Chippewa Rally motorcycle boots since last fall. They're working out very well for me. Comfortable off the bike, too.
Nice looking boot. I am gearing up for the season and have just picked up a pair of puma bonneville full length boots for $49 Canadian. ($249.list) Goretex, good protection and fit under jeans.
 
I use these Chippewa boots, model 27422, also called Firefighter boots. Even though they have laces, they are knotted at the top and are only there to customize the fit. You get in and out of them via a heavy-duty zipper. Any boot that I can pull on that doesn't have zippers, laces, or buckles I find don't give a good fit. If they are big enough so I can get my foot into them, they feel loose once on. I have a wide foot, and these are wide. I have the D-width boots. They also go up to EE in width. Once broken in these are incredible boots.

 
EmptySea_imp said:
What boots do you recommend?

I have a pair of pull-on waterproof boots I picked up at Cycle Gear pretty cheap. They do a good job but have no insulation (or very little) and they have neither the style nor the comfort to be worn off the bike for any length of time.

I am considering a pair of workboot-styled boots. Looked at a pair of Red Wings that I liked, but I'm hesitant because I'm worried about malleolus protection. Ferret will REALLY think I have champagne taste in gear when he sees what I'm considering: Stylmartin Indian Boots. Pretty pricey, but they get great reviews, can be re-soled, and will look pretty good and be comfortable with a pair of jeans at work. Any thoughts, besides that they're expensive?

What boots do you recommend?

I have the Stylmartin Indians. Overall, I like the boots, but there are a few quirks:

First big one is its availability in the US- it's hard to find; even on Revzilla, you're lucky if they have it in stock in your size (go by your Euro size). I had mine imported from the UK; had to pay international shipping & customs fees :-/

They're a little bulky, but I can still wear them under a pair of jeans.

The placement of the ankle pads is a little off; it grazes my ankle, giving me mild discomfort on the bike, specifically while feet are touching the ground while parking, at a full stop, etc. But it's not a total deal-breaker, I just think for its price it should've been better.

Laces feel thin and cheap, like they could loosen themselves while you're riding. But it's a tall enough boot that I never worry about loose laces, especially while wearing under jeans.

Overall it's a nice boot, I can wear them 40 hrs/week to and from work. Not trying to scare you with all the negatives about it, just wanna give you a heads up on what to expect.
 
Thread starter
Great info! Thanks. I knew about the size issues. I'm concerned (maybe too much) about ankle protection in general, and the Stylmartins seem to have what I need, but I need them to be comfortable off the bike, too. I'll watch that. If I get them, I'll walk around the house with them before riding just to be sure. I know they are hard to find, so I may wind up looking at something else, too. Always good to know the pros and cons. Thanks again.
 
Thread starter
I don't love pull on boots, but these have that buckle at the bottom that could help them fit me better. Who makes them?
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I don't love pull on boots, but these have that buckle at the bottom that could help them fit me better. Who makes them?
They're made by Sidi exclusively for Aerostich. In addition to the buckle, they also have an internal lacing system.
 
about 7 years ago I bought a pair of Tourmaster Solution Waterproof Road boots and have been very happy with them.
I paid just under $130 for the pair and they are very comfortable on and off the bike.
I have walked in them for whole days and no sore feet.
As I have wide feet I use the size 13 and can use thick socks in the winter,plus they are very waterproof in the rain,perhaps not in the pool !
Saying all this a riding buddy of mine just bought the same but they do not seem as strong as the ones I bought,seems they used some lighter materials,he still likes them very much.
Sometimes I question the wisdom of companies in making things cheaper instead of increasing the price of the product.
 
Back
Top