Bonnie vs. CB100 size

ecka00_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I haven't seen them side by side but I seem to remember my impression of the physical size of the Triumph was it was smaller than the CB--my imagination?
 
I haven't seen them side by side either, but I believe the Bonnie weighs less and may be a little smaller. It's a 2 cylinder parallel so I'm sure that comes into play


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
No I had one and the Bonnie is smaller, although I don't find the CB large. For it's displacent I actually find it rather small, and I'm not a big guy.
 
I agree the CB1100 feels small for its displacement.

The new Street Twin is smaller yet. Its low seat height (29.5") and narrow engine and tank make for a diminutive bike. Dry weight is about 430 lbs.
 
I rode the street twin today. In terms of weight, it feels like a scooter. I'm a short guy (160 cm) and this thing seems as light as my little pcx 125. Not nearly as polished or smooth as the cb1100, but, around town, a lot easier to push around. Nimble, light and fun to ride.

 
I've found it to be rather interesting how spending time with one bike can impact the perception of another. I did not think too much about the size or riding configuration of my Hawk GT for a number of years. When I purchased it a few years back it was my first street bike and it had been many, many years since I had last ridden motorcycles. I simply enjoyed being out on a bike once again. The only other bike I've owned as an adult is my CB1100. When I first started riding it, it struck me as being somewhat larger than the Hawk (which is pretty small as far as motorcycles go), but the ergonomics didn't feel all that different.

Fast forward a few years: Since owning my CB1100, I've spent much more time on it than on my Hawk. The CB1100 now feels very comfortable and familiar. On the other hand when I jump on the Hawk it doesn't exactly feel uncomfortable, but it does tend to feel rather tiny and a bit cramped which I didn't notice nearly as much before owning the CB1100. It's all relative.
 
I went to the Scottish Motorcycle Show today and sat on a load of bikes. The Triumph Street Twin seems quite small but the Bonneville T120 and Truxton feel very similar in size to the CB1100. There was a good display on the Honda stand but no CB1100! The bike which really impressed me was the KTM 690, the quality of the components is outstanding and think I'm going to have a test ride on the 690R.
 
The new Thruxton (not the Thruxton R) is very tempting to me, though I've not seen one in the flesh yet. That long, lean tank really does it for me!
 
LongRanger_imp said:
The new Thruxton (not the Thruxton R) is very tempting to me, though I've not seen one in the flesh yet. That long, lean tank really does it for me!
It looks as good, if not better in the flesh. There was a crowd round it all day yesterday at the Scottish Bike Show with people eager to grab their turn to sit on it. It actually received more attention that the Bonnie T120 but I doubt this will be reflected in the sales figures. Triumph are really pushing out the new models with the new Tiger Sport being exhibited and there are even rumours of a Truxton type design for the Street Twin later in the year.
 
The CB is a touch bigger than the new T120, but in my view, the CB feels bigger and more substantial. Don't get me wrong, the Bonnie is terrific in almost every way. That said, I much prefer the CB.
 
Huh? I didn't even know that Triumph was producing the T120, lol. Obviously I don't keep up with Triumph's offerings all that much. When it comes to their classics line I was only familiar with the Street Twin and the Thruxtons. To me, the T120 is the the most appealing of the bunch. Overall it looks good and the riding position would be preferable to that of the Thruxton. Still can't dig the radiator.
 
Had a 2010 Bonnie for about three years. She was by far my favorite bike-- called her my bodaciously beautiful black British bombshell babe of a bike. Yeah, was really smitten. That said, the sweet red 2013 that I brought home yesterday is here for a VERY long-term relationship. I already feel that it will be impossible to ever bring myself to sell her.

Ok, back on topic, a 2013 CB is bigger, taller, heavier, smoother, and quicker than a 2010 Mag wheel Bonnie. My used CB came with risers, so I feel less crouched than on the Bonnie without risers.
 
After riding the CB1100, I tested out a Bonneville T100 and instantly felt how much smaller it was, and I'm only 5'6", so it felt like a significant difference!
 
I looked at the base Bonneville before I purchased the CB. I rode a Bonnie during a demo day and it convinced me to get rid of the Boulevard. I didn't care fore the increase rake and weight. Here is what I used for the online specs.

Triumph Honda
Bonneville CB1100

Enine size 865 1140
Valve Train DOHC-twin DOHC-4valve/cly
Transmission 5-speed 6-Speed
Final Drive Chain Chain
Front Tire 110/70-17 110/80-18
Rear Tire 130/80-17 140/70-18
Rake/Trail 27/4.17 27/4.4
Wheelbase 56.67 58.7
Seat Height 29.2 31.2
Curb Weight 496 540
Fuel Capacity 4.22 3.9

Basically, the CB has a two inch longer wheel base
 
It's all about feel, and the CB1100 doesn't feel big,
maybe a little heavy, but when it rolls...
Fore sure it is a heavier bike in comparison to my W800, that drives
somehow like a bicycle in my opinion,
but the Honda isn't far away from that.
Honda balanced the bike very well.

Wisedrum
 
LongRanger_imp said:
The new Thruxton (not the Thruxton R) is very tempting to me, though I've not seen one in the flesh yet. That long, lean tank really does it for me!
I've seen em.

Nothing beats the overal tank shape of our CB's, imo.
Also, that big radiator doesn't help the look, although its not very explicit, but still.
 
Back
Top