Gentlemen, forgive me, but this is a family-friendly motorcycle forum not the letters page of one of those strange pictorial magazines that some blokes buy just for the articles.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I walk my dog 3 times a week. Also, the wife and I take the dog hiking usually every other weekend. I used to ride my motocross bike (YZ250), but I have a back injury that is preventing me from doing this now (I am seeing a chiropractor). I get the mountain bike out a few times a year, and I take the dual sport (XR650L) trail riding a few times a year also.j3gq_imp said:With mass loss (mainly muscles) of about 2% per year after age 40 ...
what do you do to keep your fitness up ?
PS: good drink and food doesn’t help or count !
Wish I could support this seeming relief with some science, but instead of arguing about statistical observations let me I suggest you look at (m)any average old man you see downtown in the park, age 80+. What you see quite often is ultra thin legs - very noticeable from a distance. His upper legs had once a circumference of 40+ cm. Now it's down to 25 - bones + skin. This is not the result of 4 x 4% (from 40 to 80) = 16% muscle loss. It is a disastrous 50% and sometimes higher.j3gq_imp said:Wish I could support this seeming relief with some science, but instead of arguing about statistical observations let me I suggest you look at (m)any average old man you see downtown in the park, age 80+. What you see quite often is ultra thin legs - very noticeable from a distance. His upper legs had once a circumference of 40+ cm. Now it's down to 25 - bones + skin. This is not the result of 4 x 4% (from 40 to 80) = 16% muscle loss. It is a disastrous 50% and sometimes higher.EmptySea_imp said:I’ve read that it’s 3-5% per decade, not 2% per year. All the same, most of us are on losing muscle mass side of the curve, to put it delicately.
I used to be fairly disciplined with strength training. I’ve alway believed that a well designed weight training program had enough cardio sort of built in to it to reduce the need for pure cardio workouts for someone with decent heart/lung health.
“Used to be” is key here. I am currently not doing much except being careful of my diet and I need to reinvigorate my exercise program. Until I stop working full time, I cannot adopt Houtman’s fitness regimen (the one about working about the house, not working the bars and clubs) and so I’m in the process of getting back to my home gym in a more serious manner. This thread proved to be a timely reminder so thanks for posting.
Having said all that and after looking out my window at the blanket of white, I believe my new commitment to exercise will start with several sets of “shovel curls”.
Such can turn your motorcycle years (and -memories) literally into motorcycle fears.
MTC's note is about the way I have read and understood it.EmptySea_imp said:Wish I could support this seeming relief with some science, but instead of arguing about statistical observations let me I suggest you look at (m)any average old man you see downtown in the park, age 80+. What you see quite often is ultra thin legs - very noticeable from a distance. His upper legs had once a circumference of 40+ cm. Now it's down to 25 - bones + skin. This is not the result of 4 x 4% (from 40 to 80) = 16% muscle loss. It is a disastrous 50% and sometimes higher.j3gq_imp said:Wish I could support this seeming relief with some science, but instead of arguing about statistical observations let me I suggest you look at (m)any average old man you see downtown in the park, age 80+. What you see quite often is ultra thin legs - very noticeable from a distance. His upper legs had once a circumference of 40+ cm. Now it's down to 25 - bones + skin. This is not the result of 4 x 4% (from 40 to 80) = 16% muscle loss. It is a disastrous 50% and sometimes higher.EmptySea_imp said:I’ve read that it’s 3-5% per decade, not 2% per year. All the same, most of us are on losing muscle mass side of the curve, to put it delicately.
I used to be fairly disciplined with strength training. I’ve alway believed that a well designed weight training program had enough cardio sort of built in to it to reduce the need for pure cardio workouts for someone with decent heart/lung health.
“Used to be” is key here. I am currently not doing much except being careful of my diet and I need to reinvigorate my exercise program. Until I stop working full time, I cannot adopt Houtman’s fitness regimen (the one about working about the house, not working the bars and clubs) and so I’m in the process of getting back to my home gym in a more serious manner. This thread proved to be a timely reminder so thanks for posting.
Having said all that and after looking out my window at the blanket of white, I believe my new commitment to exercise will start with several sets of “shovel curls”.
Such can turn your motorcycle years (and -memories) literally into motorcycle fears.
Such can turn your motorcycle years (and -memories) literally into motorcycle fears.
Wish I could support your anecdotal observations, but I choose to follow the information provided by Harvard University reports on the matter which state that most men lose about 30% of their muscle mass over the course of their lives and at a rate of 3-5% per decade after age 30.
Your point about muscle mass is still important even if your statistics are way off. The report I read said that the best way to stave off this deterioration is through a higher protein diet combined with strength/power training.

Bob and I have different definitions of "post-ride runs".Inhouse Bob_imp said:I jog a bit![]()
You know my neighbor ???EmptySea_imp said:dishonest, deceitful, dubious, double-dealing, treacherous, traitorous, two-faced, unfaithful, duplicitous, dishonourable, unprincipled, unscrupulous, corrupt, smarmy, iffy, shady, shifty, slippery, crooked. And it's only Wednesday.