Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Trade in your wife for a younger one .....?j3gq_imp said:With mass loss (mainly muscles) of about 2% per year after age 40 ...
what do you do to keep your fitness up ?
PS: good drink and food doesn’t help or count !
Can you please send me the email addresses of what must be a catalogue of former Mrs Houtmans so I can get some external evidence of how that’s worked out for you?Houtman_imp said:Trade in your wife for a younger one .....?j3gq_imp said:With mass loss (mainly muscles) of about 2% per year after age 40 ...
what do you do to keep your fitness up ?
PS: good drink and food doesn’t help or count !


Wish I could support this seeming relief with some science, but instead of arguing about statistical observations let me I suggest you look at (m)any average old man you see downtown in the park, age 80+. What you see quite often is ultra thin legs - very noticeable from a distance. His upper legs had once a circumference of 40+ cm. Now it's down to 25 - bones + skin. This is not the result of 4 x 4% (from 40 to 80) = 16% muscle loss. It is a disastrous 50% and sometimes higher.EmptySea_imp said:I’ve read that it’s 3-5% per decade, not 2% per year. All the same, most of us are on losing muscle mass side of the curve, to put it delicately.
I used to be fairly disciplined with strength training. I’ve alway believed that a well designed weight training program had enough cardio sort of built in to it to reduce the need for pure cardio workouts for someone with decent heart/lung health.
“Used to be” is key here. I am currently not doing much except being careful of my diet and I need to reinvigorate my exercise program. Until I stop working full time, I cannot adopt Houtman’s fitness regimen (the one about working about the house, not working the bars and clubs) and so I’m in the process of getting back to my home gym in a more serious manner. This thread proved to be a timely reminder so thanks for posting.
Having said all that and after looking out my window at the blanket of white, I believe my new commitment to exercise will start with several sets of “shovel curls”.