BMW R18

I test rode one and i loved the motor. But I'm 6 ft with long legs and I found myself very constricted by the massive cylinder heads. I wasn't all that impressed by the handling either.

It's a beautiful bike but I think best for those of shorter stature and that seems to be unavoidable due to the boxer engine combined with the forward controls.
 
A friend of a friend has one. On a small group ride, I took him up on his offer to let anyone who wanted to take it for a spin. I was blown away by the torque - just phenomenal.

The CB1100 is the perfect bike for me; I did not find the handling or the rider position on the R18 to my liking. Beautiful bike, though.
 
Django_imp said:
Here is some impression how it rides, I found at youtube:
It is a noisy ride for what it's doing. That was a bummer for me, and my cruiser was not really loud. The quiet sound of my CB with its stock pipe and muffler is another thing I love about it.
 
compared to the bmw, the cbf is a very agile super sports machine
i guess, the bmw will be completely unwilling to take the curves for you until you get used to it
 
Vic_imp said:
Django_imp said:
Here is some impression how it rides, I found at youtube:
It is a noisy ride for what it's doing. That was a bummer for me, and my cruiser was not really loud. The quiet sound of my CB with its stock pipe and muffler is another thing I love about it.
Agreed.

Although, and I think the author conceded, they do shift unnecessarily which adds to the audio drama.
 
Regarding the noise, they sound like a sewing machine stock, so I'm not sure what that's about. Maybe the bike in the video has an aftermarket exhaust.

I've had mine for two years now and love it for what it is..which is a striking looking (odd looking if we're honest) large cruiser-ish bike that handles well (in my opinion) for a bike of this size and type. I have to actually try to drag the pegs for what that's worth. If you're more of a sporty type, you won't be overly impressed (I think I recall Mr. P. calling it a pig after he rode one), so it depends on expectations.

I have the "Classic", which has extra lighting in the front, a windscreen and saddle bags. It also has straight tailpipes as opposed to the large fish-tail ones. I got the classic because personally, I don't like the looks of the fishtails on the standard R18. The windscreen stinks and causes buffeting at any speed and at any height, and the bags don't look superduper to me. Both are sitting on a shelf in my garage.

I don't travel with it though, and my typical long commute on it is less than an hour. Typical mission is a weekend or after work cruise, so I can't say how it'd feel after hours in the saddle... speaking of which, I find perfect for the bike. I seem to be the only person on the planet who does though...

I haven't ridden the bagger or transcontinental though. While they have the same engine,they are significantly different bikes.

 
alprider_imp said:
sound by minute 20.16 by this version


That might be what it sounds like if you have your ear at the end of the tail pipe, but if you forward to 22:00, that's what it sounds like from the saddle. One of the complaints with the bike is that it's too quiet.
 
tommymck_imp said:
Regarding the noise, they sound like a sewing machine stock, so I'm not sure what that's about. Maybe the bike in the video has an aftermarket exhaust.

I've had mine for two years now and love it for what it is..which is a striking looking (odd looking if we're honest) large cruiser-ish bike that handles well (in my opinion) for a bike of this size and type. I have to actually try to drag the pegs for what that's worth. If you're more of a sporty type, you won't be overly impressed (I think I recall Mr. P. calling it a pig after he rode one), so it depends on expectations.

I have the "Classic", which has extra lighting in the front, a windscreen and saddle bags. It also has straight tailpipes as opposed to the large fish-tail ones. I got the classic because personally, I don't like the looks of the fishtails on the standard R18. The windscreen stinks and causes buffeting at any speed and at any height, and the bags don't look superduper to me. Both are sitting on a shelf in my garage.

I don't travel with it though, and my typical long commute on it is less than an hour. Typical mission is a weekend or after work cruise, so I can't say how it'd feel after hours in the saddle... speaking of which, I find perfect for the bike. I seem to be the only person on the planet who does though...

I haven't ridden the bagger or transcontinental though. While they have the same engine,they are significantly different bikes.
Man, what a nice steam punk beauty!
 
TIER
6c8289307cc6f7ad3055bcfa34a9b967.jpg
click to enlarge

Django, diese Maschine wird dich überzeugen, konstruiert und montiert in Deutschland = Deutsche Qualität wie die U-XXI.
Kaufen >> Geld gut ausgegeben!
 
Back
Top