BMW R 18 Cruiser now she is here

Just my opinion, but after watching part of that first "amazing" video about the "amazing" R18, I felt embarassed for BMW, and even embarrassed for motorcyclists in general (as "amazing" as they are). On second thought, it makes me embarrassed to be a human. Amazing.

I'm so glad Honda never indulged in that level of fawning and pandering.
I couldn't, wouldn't own a CB1100 if they had.
 
I think it's a better effort than the R1200C, which was a sort of cruiser-ised GS. It's unique. I'll see a few strutting their stuff around Newport Beach and Santa Monica. Will they be widely received? Probably not. But hey, any new motorcycles on the market helps the market.
 
It's not really a " motorcyclist's motorcycle", is it? It's for the poseurs. If I was going to pose on a motorcycle, I'd choose that MGuzzi Cali... a practical touring cruiser for two. I think people who buy one of these BMWs will be noticed for all the wrong reasons.
 
I’m not attracted to the R18 but one could argue it’s no more of a styling exercise than the CB1100, just for a different demographic.
 
Thread starter
for my sells HD since manyyy years already a own clear special lifestyle not only bikes.....

and now makes BMW one video and its not good ?
 
Keep one thing in mind regarding all of this marketing brodouchery. Are they for us? The people who already own and ride motorcycles regularly? No.

All of us here have bought into motorcycling already for one reason or another. We don't need to be convinced that motorcycling is a wonderful way to spend your time.

Videos and marketing like this are for the people who have always looked at us, and said "Man, I want to do that someday." If someone is on the fence about getting a motorcycle, maybe all they need is a really hipster looking bike, and a reminder that if they buy it, they'll be as cool as they imagine they'd be.

Heck, does Harley Davidson market to people who already own and love Harleys? No, they are trying to shore up their aging customer base by drawing in those guys who are on the fence. Show a guy on a motorcycle, with cool people reinforcing how much cooler he now is, and maybe he'll get hooked.

BMW needs rich hipsters to buy this new bike. Traditional BMW customers will probably wretch at this marketing, but they're not going to buy this.

i think it's funny that the marketing video highlights a place called "House of Machines" in Downtown L.A. This place is a very hipster motorcycle themed venue that hosts motorcycle shows, has a bar and is sometimes a nightclub. It's on 7th Street, in an area that has been carved out from the grittiest Skid Row section of the city. It's become a hipster haven, with old warehouses reclaimed into loft apartments, an arts district, niche markets and restaurants. Very appropriate for an expensive hipster motorcycle.
 
Thread starter
rich people ?....well here are all fine HD-models and indians minimum in the same price-level like this bmw now....
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Keep one thing in mind regarding all of this marketing brodouchery. Are they for us? The people who already own and ride motorcycles regularly? No.

All of us here have bought into motorcycling already for one reason or another. We don't need to be convinced that motorcycling is a wonderful way to spend your time.

Videos and marketing like this are for the people who have always looked at us, and said "Man, I want to do that someday." If someone is on the fence about getting a motorcycle, maybe all they need is a really hipster looking bike, and a reminder that if they buy it, they'll be as cool as they imagine they'd be.

Heck, does Harley Davidson market to people who already own and love Harleys? No, they are trying to shore up their aging customer base by drawing in those guys who are on the fence. Show a guy on a motorcycle, with cool people reinforcing how much cooler he now is, and maybe he'll get hooked.

BMW needs rich hipsters to buy this new bike. Traditional BMW customers will probably wretch at this marketing, but they're not going to buy this.

i think it's funny that the marketing video highlights a place called "House of Machines" in Downtown L.A. This place is a very hipster motorcycle themed venue that hosts motorcycle shows, has a bar and is sometimes a nightclub. It's on 7th Street, in an area that has been carved out from the grittiest Skid Row section of the city. It's become a hipster haven, with old warehouses reclaimed into loft apartments, an arts district, niche markets and restaurants. Very appropriate for an expensive hipster motorcycle.
Yes, I have my reasons to ride motorbikes. It's because I grew up with them. We don't even had a car in our family. My father had a Zündapp Mofa, he gave it to my older brother, he passed it over to me while scooters came into play for both. One year later I switched to a new Starflight mokick and so on on our way to motorbikes and cars after we got driving licenses.

Coolness has never been a factor for riding bikes. It was necessisty and later on became a passion that stays with me ever since.

BMW is a German product like VW, the VAG group. When it comes to vehicles such as cars and motorbikes I would not buy a German product. Not even an American one. Simply prefer Japanese technology and an exotic one out of India. The new BMW chopper/cruiser/whatever is of no interest to me.

Wisedrum
 
Back
Top